Have we reached peak geek

Exciting adventures in meat space.
BoggyB

Re: Have we reached peak geek

Postby BoggyB » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:53 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
jesus - calm the fuck down. Its just an opinion. If you want to know what I do - I analyse the monetisation of the video game industry for the US market. I work for NPD

I was calm, don't be a prick.
Listen to me. Traitor.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Really because you certainly do not sound like you did and why am I a prick for expressing an opinion. Don't be a troll, we are better than that. For the benefit of this PW - I suggest we close this thread. I am coming back here.
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm calling you a prick for telling me to 'calm the fuck down', as if I'd gone off on some sort of scathing personal rant, not for expressing an opinion. I was trying to work out what your opinion was.

I thought I was being relatively civil. Maybe The Simpsons is more controversial than I thought.

And don't close the thread, there's really no need. We've had a misunderstanding. It happens. How about we just get on with it.
Listen to me. Traitor.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:38 am

I'd suggest that perhaps part of the thing that's bothering Achtung about the geekdom culture movement - and correct me if I'm wrong - is that it involves adults doing and playing with things that traditionally are associated with kids. I'm 31 and I still occasionally buy Lego, for instance, because I have money and I like Lego. I play D&D, which is something I only started doing last year. I do plenty of other geeky things (not Pokemon, though, although if an adult wants to play it then why the hell shouldn't they?).

I've never tried to hide my geeky side and I don't think it defines me, but the last 5 years or so have certainly made it easier to talk about geek stuff in public and find like-minded people. It's wonderful as far as I'm concerned. If adults want to enjoy a hobby or game intended for children that doesn't make them immature, which is where I think some of the disapproval or dismay from some people originates. It makes them open to more things and able to be honest with themselves about what they find fun.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:20 am

I don't see anything new here. It's just perhaps the scale of it that's changed as the zeitgeist and cultural attitudes have changed towards certain hobbies and technology (smart phones in this case, as well as games consoles, PC gaming, etc.) have allowed them to spread in faster and cheaper ways.

Adults have always been the main market for model trains, modelling (military especially), mechanical construction sets (which inspired Lego), for example, as well as other past times such as plane and train spotting. Adults wanting to do something that removes them from every day life isn't something particularly new, I don't think. The acceptance of that idea is something that's changed, as social attitudes are want to do, as people have realised en masse that the 9-5 job and what little family life is left isn't as fulfilling as advertised.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:29 am

Tank wrote:Every other day something happens that proves how utterly fucking insignificant we are in general.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this -- do you mean human beings?

There is nothing at all that proves that we are insignificant in any way.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:15 pm

Well, onto the main topic, I'm not sure if this thread is criticising "Geek Culture" and its various material trappings, "escapism" in general, or adults hiding in virtual worlds and refusing to contribute to "real" society.

My thoughts on all three issues are:

1. "Geek Culture". As a point of personal preference, I'm not a fan of it. I like to think of myself as a genuine nerd who has non-mainstream interests, but I don't like how "Geek Culture" has become just another hyper-materialistic mainstream sub-culture, complete with certain styles of dress and certain objects you have to buy and display on your selves in order to fit the style. I'm talking about the apparent quest to turn one's bedroom bookshelf into the shop window of Forbidden Planet, if you understand my meaning.

2. Escapism. It's a part of the human psyche and human culture and has been since those things existed. We do live in a harsh and quite often boring world where survival is a struggle for some and a chore for others. Periodic escapism is a healthy way to keep our minds afloat. It's what has given us fairy stories, myths, legends, poetry, theatre and our modern multi-media world.

3. Adults shirking real-world responsibilities while hiding in virtual worlds? It can be a problem on many levels, I've no doubt about that -- be it in computer games or social media -- but at the same time we've built a level of global connectivity which has also benefitted humanity in terms of education, business, politics, culture, general awareness and information-gathering/sharing. Like every good thing it can be abused if indulged in too much.

In general, I don't care what other people do so long as they leave me alone and let me get on with my life in peace.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:50 am

Also...

Achtung Englander wrote:...the fact the world has too many people

This isn't a fact.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:09 am

Stormbringer wrote:Also...

This isn't a fact.

Quoting a group created to promote breeder mentality and pro life bullshit is not fact either ;)

The world is overpopulated for our current (as a mass) life choices and impact on it.

Stormbringer wrote:There is nothing at all that proves that we are insignificant in any way.
Look up at night!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:26 am

eVoL wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:There is nothing at all that proves that we are insignificant in any way.
Look up at night!

That doesn't prove anything, except that there are a lot of stars.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:42 am

eVoL wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:Also...

This isn't a fact.

Quoting a group created to promote breeder mentality and pro life bullshit is not fact either ;)

Research that doesn't happen to agree with your adopted world-view doesn't mean the findings are not true.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:55 am

Nor does research with a clear bias mean the findings are true.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:44 am

*cough* Having just graduated from the biggest demography faculty in the UK... *cough* :lol:

That link raised some good points that have been addressed ad nauseam by respected demographers, but in a very biased way. Heck, one of the authors is a founder of SEVERAL Christian family 'foundations' and the other is a disgraced academic (kicked out of Stanford for breaching ethical rules which resulted in other academics being denied access to China) hated both in the West AND China (served in the US Navy in the Far East and adopted Mao as a surname...) with NINE children.

It's pretty obvious that they should not be a go-to source regarding whether the World is over-populated or not. Even the references they choose to support their assertions are questionable, with not a single demographer quoted (I don't count Malthus as one, even though he is regarded as one of the fathers of the field).

An overwhelming number of experts, from biology, social sciences, demography, even NASA, all agree that the world IS overpopulated due to a variety of reasons.

1) Whilst it's true that food production has kept pace with population growth, and sure, human ingenuity may save us again like it did in the 1960s, the odds are stacking against that outcome more so than ever thanks to climate change and environmental degradation combined with the changing lifestyles of those in developing countries and the persistently wasteful lifestyles of those in developed countries. Sure, we MAY invent some wondrous new technology that creates enough food for everyone and saves the environment... but I doubt it. The point about human capital increasing the prospect of technological advances isn't really true either, because quite simply, the vast majority of the current human population are not educated enough and do not have the opportunities required to make a difference. Continuing to grow the population at the same rate of the last 50 years will not help.

2) I don't understand their point about freshwater withdrawals keeping up with population growth being a good thing? Like, sure, but it's a finite resource and more and more places are becoming reliant on imported fresh water. It's an established fact that we are withdrawing more fresh water than is being renewed naturally through the water cycle.

3) We have grown exponentially and some populations still are depending on the time scale and measure you use. We've reached peak child, for sure, but population momentum will take decades to slow down now that the bases of so many populations have been increased. That's one reason why the estimate for world population in 2050/2100 etc keeps changing. We just cannot forecast how all of these children entering fertile ages are going to behave in each contextual setting with any kind of accuracy.

Their assertions about Europe's fertility aren't entirely accurate either, claiming France and Britain will cease to exist... yet both have TFRs above 2.1, and Britain's is increasing. Some of that is due to immigrant fertility sure, but a lot is natively driven, and those generations of children born to immigrants will be assimilated as British people, as has happened for centuries. It's not just European countries who are struggling with declining fertility, although many of the countries that experienced lowest low fertility (TFR below 1.3) have reversed the trend since the 1990s.

It is interesting that they don't mention anything about China's low fertility being a massive problem for the future considering one of their authors affiliations (married a Chinese lady). Heck, there may not be a World in which the EU could fall to 59 million by 2300 if China goes to hell.

4) The rest of their "fun thoughts" are banal trivia. Not sure what purpose they serve. I'm sure we could all fit on the moon... so what?

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:02 pm

I don't understand the logic behind these groups that promote massive families, is it basic case of trying to out breed the people who don't follow their way of thinking? I believe several of these groups are under investigation for sexual abuse as well.

On the geek thing, it's cool that people can run around in public chasing pretend monsters, pretty harmless behaviour in my opinion. I'd class people who are fanatic about sports as geeks, it's just more accepted in the public eye.

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:34 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
eVoL wrote:
Look up at night!

That doesn't prove anything, except that there are a lot of stars.

You see his point though, right? Specs of dust on a slightly bigger spec of dust and all that.
Listen to me. Traitor.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World