Have we reached peak geek

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Achtung Englander

Have we reached peak geek

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 am

After seeing hordes of adults going on Pokemon Go hunts and getting really upset about a remake (Ghostbusters) have we reached a point when we are losing touch with reality. Now I can understand geekdome has been around since the 70s with long queues for Star Wars and D&D tapping into the Lord Of The Rings fandom (back then it was just the books) but of late, with the huge box office for Marvel films and the popularity of comic-con, I get this feeling that adults are losing themselves to anything in the desire to detached themselves from everyday life

I could be the last person to complain here because I work in video games industry and I spend all my day reading or thinking about video games. Video games is paying my mortgage and bills, so I am not lambasting entertainment. I love music, films and books. What I do not quite follow is how adults who grew up with all of this mass produced media are letting it defining their life. I downloaded Pokemon Go because I need to know what this about for my day job but I do not have any desire to go hunting.

I am not exactly sure what it is that is bugging me here, but when so many people are interested in selfies and the mass consumption of media but have so little desire to invest in their surroundings and things that really matter, it bugs me. During the referendum one 17 year old complained that the vote should have been made available from 16, but given that only 1/3 of under 25 even bother to vote you begin to wonder when will people grow up ?
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Lee

Re: Have we reached peak geek

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:09 pm

I think it's that turning point in life we all hit at some point that we look at what hte younger generation thinks is fun and don't get it. And the more we try to get it, the more it puts you off it.

We haven't reched Peak Geek till we get out bloody own Holodecks! :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Tank

Postby Tank » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:I get this feeling that adults are losing themselves to anything in the desire to detached themselves from everyday life

Can you blame them? Every other day something happens that proves how utterly fucking insignificant we are in general. I try my hardest to ignore the new and the media because they simply don't know how to tell the truth and I am still terrified every moment of every day so I would hope you would forgive me if I (or anyone else) would prefer to escape into pop culture/fantasy rather then try to make sense of the utter madness we are suffering at the moment.

I suppose there is an argument here that a state of perpetual arrested development isn't good for anyone or any population but recently it's hard to pretend I can (or want to) fathom the current state of politics and general beliefs more than I want to concentrate on collecting stuff and enjoying comics and films.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to be 16 now. To be totally submerged in an awful social media/news media swamp of misinformation and fear. Every step of the way you reminded your not good enough, you don't earn enough, you aren't smart enough, you're not good looking enough, your beliefs offend EVERYONE and now even the things you enjoy as hobbies mean you are not willing to "grow up" (your words).

I will concede there is strong argument here for moderation and perspective, there almost always is and I will also admit that I honestly don't know how I feel about Pokemon Go yet but I can understand fully why anyone right now would rather pursue an escape from reality rather than attempt to make sense of it with the tools at hand.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:22 pm

interesting point. The saturation of media can actually be a negative. I would argue the world now is actually never been peaceful or people in the West have never had it so good. It is just that we have access to news 24/7 and at a touch of a button. This is an element that is making us depressed

That and the fact the world has too many people

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:18 pm

To me it feels like people are happier to express this sort of thing publically, rather than there being any real increase. I think the Internet has spurred a lot of this on; small communities have been better able to connect with one another, perhaps making people realise that their "niche" hobbies are more popular than some would believe.

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:58 pm

I'm not 100% sure what your point is. I'm getting this sort of vibe from you.

Listen to me. Traitor.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Raid wrote:To me it feels like people are happier to express this sort of thing publically, rather than there being any real increase. I think the Internet has spurred a lot of this on; small communities have been better able to connect with one another, perhaps making people realise that their "niche" hobbies are more popular than some would believe.

This.

Technology is bringing out the eccentricities of our personalities and making it easier than ever to mix with others who are similar. Society is slowly becoming more tolerant and people can express themselves exactly how they feel without the repercussions of being seen as the weird geek. We're all weird in our own ways and our society is evolving to celebrate that fact.

If you think this is bad just wait until a few generations time when you're an OAP. Things will probably be difficult to recognise even by today's standards in 20-30 years given how our advances in technology have accelerated the way out cultures develop.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:58 pm

I dare say our game addled senior minds will be able to survive the oncoming nuclear wasteland fairly well after years of playing Fallout.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:17 pm

BoggyB wrote:I'm not 100% sure what your point is. I'm getting this sort of vibe from you.

er....not quite. As mentioned here it is the fact the internet has allowed groups to find each other that has resulted with freedom of expression. Of late I have felt an increase in geek-pressure, that people want to be part of popular culture in fear they could be branded as square

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:45 pm

Same-old, same-old. Every generation has had their 'thing' that older generation doesn't get. The steps change but the dance remains the same.
My face is tired.

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
people want to be part of popular culture in fear they could be branded as square

Hasn't that been the case for hundreds of years? Nothings really changed, just the mediums we connect through. I'm not sure what your complaint is.
Listen to me. Traitor.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:56 pm

Maybe my complaint is from old age - as your cartoon implies. I feel that the proliferation of geekdom in popular culture that has commanded the appeal by so many and which has now been so successfully monetised, with so little effort on the part of the consumer, to be depressing

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm still just reading it as "I don't think this thing that is popular should be this popular".

What exactly is it you do within the games industry? How much a part of the 'problem' are you?
Listen to me. Traitor.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:10 pm

Pokemon tamer.
My face is tired.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:50 pm

BoggyB wrote:I'm still just reading it as "I don't think this thing that is popular should be this popular".

What exactly is it you do within the games industry? How much a part of the 'problem' are you?

jesus - calm the fuck down. Its just an opinion. If you want to know what I do - I analyse the monetisation of the video game industry for the US market. I work for NPD

Next

Return to General & Real World