Turkey in a military coup

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Achtung Englander

Turkey in a military coup

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:48 pm

Well....I bet no one saw that one coming !

The most amazing thing about this is that Turkey is a member of NATO. I bet the Russians are pissing themselves laughing

Also that has put the final deathnail to any idea of Turkey joining the EU.

Off to bed. The next 24 hours will be interesting
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Quietman

Re: Turkey in a military coup

Postby Quietman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:12 pm

Details from the statement read out on the state broadcaster TRT at the behest of the military faction that seems to be behind the coup: It says that the freedom of Turkish citizens is guaranteed by what is referred to as a “peace council”, regardless of religion, race or language.

It says the Peace Council will not allow public order to be damaged.

It is worth remembering at this point that the Turkish government still claims to be in charge.

An EU source monitoring events has told Reuters that military forces have control of airports and strategic points in Istanbul.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:13 am

A pity it wasn't successful. Erdogan is the worst thing to happen to Turkey in recent history.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the orders were orchestrated by him in the first place to give him an opportunity to neuter the military once and for all. He got rid of a good number of officers a few years ago IIRC.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:18 pm

It reminds me of the idiotic Spanish coup back in 81 (I think). The fact that only an element of the army turned out does feel it was half thought out. Erdogan is a collosal prick and Turkey really deserves better but at the end of the day you get what you vote for
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Either way from this each outcome was going to be a lot of bloodshed. I don't know where to think I agree on it as on the one hand Erdogan is one piece of shit ruining what the country was made from but military coup's never have ended up good for the population either.

All the same the coup could have bee na vast improvement for the people.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:16 am

What was the agenda of the coup ?

Some say it was protect secular Turkey from the slow march of Erdogan's Islamic agenda. Now that it was crushed people fear that it will give the green light for Erdogan to be even more authoritarian and clamp down on any opposition. I actually fear sorry for the Turkish people who are secular. They are kind of fucked after this.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Agenda was probably that Achtung to bring the country back to what Mustafa Kemal Atatürk had wanted when it was created but they didn't have any support. The military is going to get stripped of a lot of it's influence after this and replaced by dogmatic Erdogen supporters though.

Seen a lot of people saying this was a ploy to get more support for Erdogen to stay in power and to push even more laws in. At this point and with the knowledge of what all countires have tried to do in the past (thanks to the internet) You can't be sure if they are talking out of their asses about it. MAggie and the Falklands comes to mind for me.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:09 am

Even EU officials are now publicly saying that the lists of who to arrest must have been made in advance of the coup. You couldn't identify 6000 people to arrest in literally the space of day. We'll likely never know the full story, but it's pretty clear that it isn't what it appeared to be on the surface.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:54 am

So really this guy is a dictator in all but name.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:16 am

Achtung Englander wrote:So really this guy is a dictator in all but name.

He certainly ticks a lot of the boxes on the dictator checklist:

- Heavily censors the press. In fact it appears he now controls the press almost completely.

- Has arrested and even sentenced people to jail time for criticising him.

- Arrested many political opponents after becoming president.

- There is evidence of electoral fraud in some of his elections (apparently not in the presidential election, although there was a strong media bias in favour of him).

Things feel particularly perilous at the moment, and a ruthless dictator with an agenda in the most volatile area of the world does not strike me as an ideal situation. Oh well, Boris will sort it out! Just as long as they don't bring up that limerick he wrote which alluded to Erdogan being a goat-fucking wanker...

Yeah, we're all dead, aren't we. :(

EDIT - Another one for the dictator list - he built himself a gigantic, intimidating palace:

"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:54 am

Turkey looks to be aligning itself with the Middle eastern states. They will need to be removed from NATO with great haste.

If the wall on the Mexican border works, should Europe consider a wall on the Turkish border?

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:48 am

We don't need a wall, we've got the Bosphorus Strait. Just invade half of Istanbul. :P

Return to General & Real World