Holidays!

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Mantis
Admin

Holidays!

Postby Mantis » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:49 pm

Summer is nearly in full swing, apart from the torrential downpours and horrendous storms from the last few days, so it's that time of year where people pack up and try to get away from the horrible English humidity, the awful screaming school holiday kids and everything else that makes this country generally not all that fun to be in throughout July and August.

So, is anybody jetting off anywhere nice this year? Any recommendations? Too skint so going to Butlins?

I'm off to Dubrovnik for a couple of nights with the missus in August, then we're ferrying over to Hvar for nearly a week to chill out among the islands. Seriously can't wait, it's been four years since I had a holiday abroad and I'm just dying to kick back in the heat. We're doing it on the cheap by renting out apartments, but it still came to a pretty hefty sum because we* left it too late to decide so we had to book everything at peak season rates without any discounts on offer. Flights alone came to more than the rest of the holiday combined.

*she

Paul

Re: Holidays!

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Myself and the wife were originally planning to go to Canada, but we ended up having another kid instead. She's a bit too young for long haul stuff (10 weeks) and to be honest, so is the two year old. Lovely nature, but if she isn't constantly stimulated she gets very fidgety / moany. So, we're probably going to get a cottage down south or something. Nothing too fancy.

We're always going to Spain, but that doesn't really count 'cause we're staying with her family. Really nice area though (Jérica, if anyone cares).

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:19 pm

Renting a house in Pembrokeshire for a week in August with my side of the family. Looking forward to it, we do a group thing every couple of years and the kids in particular love having everybody around.
My face is tired.

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm a right grumpy shite when it comes to people. The Spanish side of the family are huge on family / friend meals. Every day is like a party to them.

I hate it.

You can usually find me upstairs, browsing the internet / sipping coffee in lovely solitude.

I took myself to Glastonbury the weekend before last. I did Wookey Hole and also Cheddar Gorge. Just because I woke up early one morning and thought "Fuck it, I'm going south!"

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:45 pm

Going to somewhere in remote Italy this August with my wife and sons. Her grandparents are renting a villa there for two weeks (they normally live in Arizona) and we're going over for a bit. I'm not looking forward to it as I'm no fan of Italy, having been there 11 years ago (some of you may remember the 600+ photos I uploaded).

At Christmas we'll all be going to Tennessee to spend the season with my wife's parents and siblings, as we have done every year since 2011. I AM looking forward to this, as I love Tennessee and I typically spend the entire time playing board games with my brothers in law.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:59 pm

Sounds awesome! :D

Do you have any interest in the national parks etc? I'm very seriously considering doing a trail or something before I die, but I'm currently faced with a few hurdles (babies; physical fitness; lack of survival skills). All can and will be overcome, but I want to make sure that before I go out there, I'm at least strong enough to out-wrestle a fully grown grizzly.

A perfectly achievable goal.

>_>

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:27 pm

Just come back from 10 days in Orkney as I do every year as I've got family up there and it's almost a free holiday. :lol:

The bad news is I've used up most of my holidays until Christmas now. Gonna be a long 6 months.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:44 pm

I haven't got anything big planned this year, we usually go away for three days on a city break, but this year we have struggled to find something in our price range and that we both want to do, I wanted to go to Paris again, but the wife wasn't keen.. So as it stands we are just going to spend a few nights in Newquay in a posh hotel/spa.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:18 pm

Staying in the UK this year - we have been over to Italy for the last 5 years, visiting different areas (unlike Doug we love the place) but this year have rented a little cottage on the Devon/Cornwall border and taking the pup (who is just over a year old now and not really a pup any more :))
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Paul

Postby Paul » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:25 am

Ah, I love that area of the UK Snowy. I keep badgering the wife to consider moving south. She's gunning for one more promotion, then she's up for it. I work in IT so I can go anywhere really.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:59 am

Yes love it down there - I will probably look to retire down that way, no plans to relocate as both mine and the wife's families live in Fleet where we currently live, so it is nice and convenient for all.

That said, Fleet it a pretty nice part of the world, if unlikely to win any awards for being exciting. That suits me fine though tbh, quiet leafy town.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:33 pm

Fleet is a nice place aye. God Ian retire in Cornwall - that's too clichéd for you mate! Your never supposed to retire you are meant to do something far more Metal than that chap!

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:18 pm

Holidays... I shall be forced to babysit my nephew and neice for the summer holidays againas they want to play on my damn pc while i am playing it!!!!

:P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

arqueturus

Postby arqueturus » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:23 pm

Just come back from Barcelona where I saw the MotoGp de Catalunya. Busy break which involved Planes, Trains, Automobiles, Walking miles in glorious weather and 3 different hotels. It started badly with a Luis Salom succumbing to his injuries on the Friday free practice 2 session (first death in MotoGP for 5 years) but then ended on a high with one best races in years and Rossi winning against the odds.

Next is my birthday at the start of July (desitination unknown) and a week in Rimini at the start of September followed by a week in start December in the Costa Del Sol as my Dad has rented a place for 4 months.

Return to General & Real World