Politics 101

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Eny

Re: Politics 101

Postby Eny » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:20 am

Yep. The reason it aint sorted yet Brexiters, is because people who see further than you know its a fuck up.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:43 am

Abort Brexit, dissolve the government, fire every MP and ban them from ever standing for parliament again, and start from scratch. The last two years in politics have been a colossal fuck up and not one of our supposed leaders has had the ability or the will to do anything about it. Every last one of them should answer for their part in allowing this farce to drag on.

But no, obviously that won't happen, and instead we'll continue shuffling our mangled wreck of a country towards the cliff edge.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:50 pm

The Friday deal sounds like it's going to be dead in the water because the EU has already said you can't cherry pick the four freedoms and May's big ace in the hole is free movement of goods with assurance that free movement of people will end. The EU has been clear on that since day one and every expert with a view on the matter has also said since day one that there is absolutely no way we could ever hope to break off from our current trading arrangements and expect to be better off as a result; but then twenty years of economic hardship seems to be a price worth paying for the hardline supporters.

This has been utterly unworkable since the very beginning and anyone with any sense at all knew it. Unfortunately I think it might take another fifty years just to heal the divide the whole thing has cut straight down the middle of the population.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:42 pm

David Davis resigned as Brexit Secretary.

Leadership contest imminent? Looks like the beginning of the end for May now.

Edit: Deputy Brexetary Steve Baker also resigned.

Very unusual that such high profile resignations are taking place at such a late time on a Sunday evening.

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:55 pm

Baker is my MP....This is such a fucking mess. Right. Royal. Fucking. Mess.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:21 am

If May gets ousted in the next couple of days then Trump's UK visit is going to be even more ridiculous.

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 am

Looks like no leadership challenge for now, though I suspect that to be more down to the fact that the likes of Mogg and co. all know that their heads would be on the block if they were to take over the disastrous negotiations. Nobody wants ownership of it.

Davis has just wasted two years of a ministerial salary as the 'head' of a department having only sat down for a grand total of four hours with Barnier since he was given the role. Two months worth of our team meetings at work and we'd beat that time and I guarantee we don't talk about anything as vital as the future trading relationships for the country.

May is meeting with the entire parliamentary Tory party later today though, so who knows what's going to happen next.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 am

I think it's naive to think there'll be any leadership challenge until Brexit is resolved (in whatever guise that comes in); none of the leading Tories is going to accept that political suicide note, and they know that they're going to look all the better if they wait for the disaster to happen first. These people don't give a shit about the country, only making themselves look good.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:12 am

You never know, some of them are that bonkers because they will feel like she is robbing them of the hard Brexit they lust after.

The Conservative Brexiter Andrew Bridgen told BBC Radio 5 Live that, if Theresa May did not change her Brexit policy, he would back a no confidence motion in her.

There's already talk of it among the the Brexit division of the party and they only need 48 people to back a no confidence motion. There's something like 64 hard Brexit Tory MPs.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Boris has packed it in as foreign secretary.

Leadership fight ahoy?

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Huh. Ok, I'll admit I didn't expect that.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:22 pm

What a mess. Initially I'd hoped it would signal an eventual halt to the Brexit process, but quickly looked like just being a massive shitstorm that will probably drag the country down with it.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:24 pm

At least the Tories are strong and stable, though. :?

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:29 pm

It could go either way at this point. Leadership challenge? Election? No Deal? Second referendum? The closer we get to a no deal in March and the worse the outlook from business and for the economy gets, I think anything is possible between now and then.

Johnson can't possibly think that he's a credible replacement, needless to say that this is pure political maneuvering from him to suit his own ends, but the guy is a complete laughing stock of British politics at this point. Davis seems to be annoyed that he has resigned as well.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Mantis wrote:Johnson can't possibly think that he's a credible replacement

You mean like he couldn't possibly think that he was a credible foreign secretary? The man is either delusional or he simply doesn't care about what the actual public think about him and he simply has massive amounts of dirt on every other major Tory.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World