Politics 101

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Jez

Re: Politics 101

Postby Jez » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:22 pm

I don't see a huge queue of people that would take over anyway.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:43 pm

BoJo will probably be a front runner.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:31 pm

Would he want it? He didn't run for it the first time.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:55 pm

I'm pretty sure he was gearing up for it before Gove stabbed him in the back. BoJo was always more of a remainer than a leaver. His support of the Leave campaign was more of tactical move to try and oust Cameron and get the PM job for himself I'm sure of it. He just didn't really expect Leave to win, the look on his face the day afterwards at the press conference gave it away.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Mantis wrote:I'm pretty sure he was gearing up for it before Gove stabbed him in the back. BoJo was always more of a remainer than a leaver. His support of the Leave campaign was more of tactical move to try and oust Cameron and get the PM job for himself I'm sure of it. He just didn't really expect Leave to win, the look on his face the day afterwards at the press conference gave it away.

Are you sure? It was largely his negative (and entirely fictional) accounts of the EU when he was out there that led to a lot of the perception in this country that it was all about bendy bananas and lunacy like that. A mentality which I think in the end contributed to a portion of the Leave vote.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Eurosceptic perhaps but I think even he saw the overall benefit of our membership. Cameron and he were good mates before he knifed him over backing Leave and the two had a very frosty relationship after that. Ultimately I think his beliefs and principles are flexibly based around what is most beneficial for himself at the time.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Sounds like most politicians!

I do think he'd be an unmitigated disaster as PM, though.

"What-ho, Euro-chums! I'm here to discuss our Brexit deal. Trust you'll give us a jolly good deal, what? Tally-ho!"
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:42 pm

He's the perfect example of all the private school, bullyboy and privileged toffery that places like Eton pump out. Absolutely can't stand him.

This raised a titter during the election campaign. Can anybody even make out the unintelligible upper class grumbling he makes when the guy predicts a Labour win? :lol:

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:51 am

I've always thought PR was a good idea too, but you're right it would mean UKIP winning seats. Probably not a good idea to give people proportional voting until we can rein in the right wing lunacy and racist media.

Not sure a system not giving you the result you want is a reason to not introduce it. PR is probably the fairest of the systems going and it is arguable that people would have voted differently under PR so UKIP wouldn't have got such a large share of the vote.

On the election it has been a wild ride. It was so nice going into the polling booth and for the first time voting for a party that I agreed with and shared my beliefs rather than just voting for Labour because they were not the Tories. Corbyn needs to use this upsurge in support to solidify Labour as a party of the left and get rid of the Blairite faction forever. If this means not having some people in the shadow cabinet then that is fine with me. Moving the party back to the fake 'centre ground' would just hand the initiative back to the Tories.

As for the DUP can you imagine the outrage if Corbyn was in May's position and currently trying to form a coalition with Sinn Fein? I can't see May lasting through the summer and I fully expect another election to be called within 6 months.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:05 am

Don't get me wrong, if there were another referendum for AV or PR I'd still vote for either of them, but we should be thankful UKIP never did achieve a foothold in parliament. They would drag us through the hardest Brexit imaginable and completely trash our country in the process, representative democracy probably wouldn't really be worth that sacrifice I imagine. Though to be fair, they've almost achieved that anyway without a single MP. Still, putting far right nationalists into power is always going to be dangerous.

An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people - Thomas Jefferson.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:33 am

Mantis wrote:Though to be fair, they've almost achieved that anyway without a single MP.

They did actually have one following the 2015 election. But yeah, with 12.5% of the vote, they ought to have had 80-odd seats in the Commons.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:58 pm

Well whada'ya know, Sinn Fein aren't happy with the Conservatives making a deal with the DUP to form a government.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 92171.html

May would rather jeopardise the Good Friday agreement than lose this election.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Will Sinn Fein show up in their seats if this happens? Hmm.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:03 pm

Not a chance.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:03 pm

Dunno now might the right time for them to show willing and participate rather than hiding under their stone over there.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World