Politics 101

Exciting adventures in meat space.
eVoL

Re: Politics 101

Postby eVoL » Sun May 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Ole JC will never win while scotlands sucking on sturgeons boaby.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun May 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Latest polls have Labour within single digits.

I've never bought into the theory that the Tories are going to win a massive majority, always pegged it around the 30-50 mark. Despite the polls continuing to narrow my gut still says that this will be the case, but I still have hope that Labour and Corbyn could limit it to less than 20. That would be a massive achievement and solidify the power base of the left within the party.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun May 21, 2017 6:09 pm

A Labour win at this point would likely not help them as much as people expect, seeing as it would give them the lead on Brexit and nobody is going to be able to navigate that without seriously damaging their party when the shit inevitably hits the fan. A very narrow Conservative majority would put them on very shaky ground and hopefully prevent them from getting through too many Orwellian policies whilst they also take the fall for Brexit over the next five years. Let's face it, the negotiations aren't going to go any other way at this point. It's a completely toxic topic.

Then Corbyn could stand down some time before the 2022 election and give way to another left leaning Labour candidate who will hopefully be a little more competent and not be completely crucified by our semi-fascist media.

A hung parliament could potentially be a good outcome from this election too if the Lib Dems can snag enough disillusioned Conservative Remainers. The Labour poll results over the last couple of weeks have been heartening to see, but ultimately I'm not sure how they're going to hold up, and typically the Tory turnout tends to be better than they poll anyway.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun May 21, 2017 9:43 pm

I could see Corbyn finalising the Brexit negotiations, explaining the deal to the public and how it would affect them, and then offering a referendum as to whether the country would like to continue with the process. He's not stupid; he can't go and say it yet because it'd be political cyanide, but once they have an actual potential deal rather than lies and promises based on racism and other nonsense, it could work for all but the most ardent Brexiters.

It's probably wishful thinking, but it's contrasting in my head to Theresa May just going down the list of party donors, ticking off their requirements and being done with it.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon May 22, 2017 1:19 pm

I don't get why a second Brexit referendum is not on the cards - in the run-up to the actual farce Farage was already blabbering that a second would be needed, yet now it seems as though the bullshit-engine has stopped and people are in many cases reconsidering their position yet nobody seems capable of understanding that it would actually be a sensible move.

I am amazed Corbyn didn't put it in the manifesto...
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 22, 2017 2:00 pm

I think talk about a second referendum was coming from the pro-Brexit side in the belief that the vote would be close and they would lose so it wouldn't be conclusive.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon May 22, 2017 3:09 pm

The Lib Dems have already said they'll offer a second referendum when we know more about the "deal" we'll get.

Labour can't because they'd spent months supporting "the will of the British people" and the election has come as a surprise. A massive u-turn on one of the most important issues of the election would probably do them more harm than good. Better to do it as an apparently natural reaction to a poor deal that will ruin our economy than to say it up front and open the floodgates for the Tories to claim that Labour wouldn't go into it with the same determination.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon May 22, 2017 3:57 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:I think talk about a second referendum was coming from the pro-Brexit side in the belief that the vote would be close and they would lose so it wouldn't be conclusive.
Funny how they were demanding a second referendum if the results were too close, and yet after a couple of % in their favour it's suddenly the will of the people with no take-backs.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon May 22, 2017 4:17 pm

But it was the will of the people, Subby. Don't forget that.

Raid wrote:Labour can't because they'd spent months supporting "the will of the British people" and the election has come as a surprise. A massive u-turn on one of the most important issues of the election would probably do them more harm than good. Better to do it as an apparently natural reaction to a poor deal that will ruin our economy than to say it up front and open the floodgates for the Tories to claim that Labour wouldn't go into it with the same determination.

Ideal scenario really, and probably in the realms of fantasy. Labour win a majority, inevitably we start losing companies and their jobs abroad because they're all trying to deal with the fallout of Brexit, prices keep going up, public mood towards the whole thing turns and another referendum is quickly enacted to cancel Article 50. Highly unlikely though.

Theresa May's u-turn on the social care policy has been a fun watch today. It was probably enough to save a lot of votes but man was it enjoyable seeing her squirm in front of the media, she could not have looked more annoyed at a lot of the questions. Strong and stable my arse. Ironically, a cap on care costs actually benefits the better off elderly than those with comparatively fewer assets; so it's still a god awful policy that will strip life savings from those unlucky enough to get the wrong kind of illness.

Meanwhile, Corbyn announced today that tuition fees could be abolished by as soon as autumn this year.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon May 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Mantis wrote:Strong and stable my arse.

It's you! :o

https://www.indy100.com/article/general ... paign=i100

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon May 22, 2017 4:54 pm

:shock:

:-$

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Mon May 22, 2017 4:55 pm

:lol:

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon May 22, 2017 5:18 pm

By all rights, Labour should be killing this election. I can't quite understand why they won't, though hopefully they gain enough ground to curb the Tories.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon May 22, 2017 5:27 pm

Combination of things, partly down to Corbyn not being an especially great leader (even though he has a lot of the qualities needed, he doesn't have the flair to show it), the media spending the last two years hurling historic amounts of vitriol at him; and also down to the PLP coup after the referendum last year which completely tanked the parties poll ratings and which they have never fully recovered from. Even now with all the positive election coverage they're getting they've only just reached the level they were at right before the Brexit vote. The Tories are just better at presenting themselves as the slick businessmen of politics compared with tribal Labour trying to tear itself apart, which is crazy when you consider that on an individual level there are far more batshit insane Tory MPs than Labour ones and there's far more backstabbing internally within the Tory ranks too. The Tories have the sense to lock their crazies away from the media though whereas Labour puts Diane Abbott on TV to make a fool of herself.

Simple fact is that this manifesto would never have existed without Corbyn. A more centre right Labour leader would just offer status quo policies and fail to really gain any ground. The current Labour manifesto at least has some great potential remedies to a lot of the huge issues this country currently faces.

I'm taking a break from this thread for a while. -_-

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon May 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Sly Boots wrote:By all rights, Labour should be killing this election. I can't quite understand why they won't, though hopefully they gain enough ground to curb the Tories.

Rabidly right wing press, coupled with the disaster that was Bliar and Brown.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World