Politics 101

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Politics 101

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:39 am

Someone's ruffled Paul Dacre's feathers...

https://twitter.com/SimonNRicketts/stat ... 1065967616
My face is tired.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:07 am

My favourite bit is where they try to claim the Daily Mail and the MailOnline are completely seperate entities.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:46 am

Quietman wrote:My favourite bit is where they try to claim the Daily Mail and the MailOnline are completely seperate entities.

https://twitter.com/ddavidrenshaw/statu ... 2390416384

:lol:
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:50 am

That whole article is such a delicious piece of schadenfreude, I absolutely howled with laughter as I read it (on a non-DM affiliated site ofc, wouldn't grace them with even a click).

So the DM Online, which Dacre (the author of the rant) collects a hefty salary from, which shares the same offices as the rag, is a separate entity to the DM with 'a different world view'. Utter shite.

Also as part of that rant he bangs on about a Guardian Online journalist who...has never written for the Guardian Online, only the paper version :lol:

The best bit was the references to the 'Fascist Left' - methinks someone needs some lessons in politics.

Oh, and the very top of the headline - "Fake news" - was apropos of nothing - maybe Dacre was being honest for once in pointing out that everything that followed was a crock of shit.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:00 pm

A year today the country self-shafted itself.

I know it's meant to be all in the past, and that we should be "working together" now, but thinking about how it's all gone down still pissed me off. ](*,)

Hope it was all worth it.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:51 pm

We can still "work together" to make the most of the situation. But does that mean we ever have to forgive? No.

One farmer was complaining on the radio the other day that he hires 2500 EU workers each year to work in his fields, that he's already struggling this year because workers are starting to slowly leave and that if it's any harder next year then his business could go bust. He still voted Leave.

I'd wager that a vast amount of the people who voted Leave did so on similar grounds that they had no idea how badly it would affect them. Can you be angry at those people? Not really, they were deceived by the press mostly. They shouldn't ever be allowed to forget though, because ultimately they sided with a nasty, nationalistic right wing agenda.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:59 pm

The problem with that view is that it's too simplistic, largely because the question was too simplistic in the first place. There were just so many issues being banded about, yet people were only asked whether or not they wanted to leave the EU. There could have been so much more information gathered regarding the public's priorities, but instead it's being entirely left up to the government to choose which parts they intend to keep.

I really can't think of a single thing about the referendum itself or the campaigns beforehand that was done correctly.
- The question was too simplistic; Britain's membership in the EU is just so incredibly complex from many angles that a single in/out question cannot effectively represent public opinion.
- Both campaigns were absolutely shocking, filled with scaremongering and outright lies. There should have been an independently produced booklet delivered to every household in the UK that had factual information for both sides of the argument to allow people to make their minds up without influence from politicians' personal agendas.
- The referendum should never have been binding, and that should have been clear from the start. A 4% difference between sides is a pathetic margin on which to base such a decision, especially when the public were so poorly informed.
- It's a question that should never have been asked in the first place. I just don't think it's an issue that the general public could ever be sufficiently informed to be able to make that decision. We elect governments to deal with these matters, and they have unlimited access to experts to help make these decisions.

Brexit was entirely about power; not power for the people, but power for career politicians. It was an outright farce from start to finish.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:06 pm

The referendum was never technically binding. It was always advisory. Can you imagine the reaction if they backed down on the result though? Try explaining it to 17m people who all voted Leave.

I've said pretty much all of the above in the past in this thread. It simply should never have happened. Period.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:17 pm

That wasn't all meant to be directed at you Mantis. I think I just needed to rant; we're a year on and I'm still angry about it, so much so that I've considered a number of times whether I should just ditch this country and move elsewhere. It's not practical for me, but two of my best friends are moving to New Zealand just as soon as one of them completes the NZ equivalent of a PGCE.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:54 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40403434

So the deal with the DUP is done, with £1bn for Northern Ireland over the next two years. Where's that money coming from? How does that fit into the already ludicrously un-costed manifesto? The next time I hear a Tory voter tell me that Labour think money grows on trees, I'm going to have to walk away before I do something regrettable.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:01 pm

It's fine, there's no money available for spending on services across the UK, but the ISA they keep to one side for times when they need to buy votes to keep themselves in power has quite a healthy balance; it's where all the surplus national insurance deposits go.

I give this sham a few months. I'd be surprised if she made it to Christmas.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:41 pm

It's ok they just used the left over money from all the cladding.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Perhaps the Scottish Tories should threaten a breakaway unless they receive an extra couple of billion for Scotland.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Just gonna leave this here.

Last edited by Raid on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:07 pm

post May who do we have

Rudd - nope - too unpopular
Johnson - ](*,)
Hammond - maybe
Leavesden - :lol:
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World