Politics 101

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: Politics 101

Postby Raid » Fri May 12, 2017 6:33 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Normal people voting for the tories is like turkeys voting for Christmas/Thanksgiving.

I prefer the metaphor "like foxes voting for the tories."

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri May 12, 2017 6:38 pm

katarn wrote:I think supporters on both sides scaremonger about the opposition way too much to be honest.

Agreed, everybody in politics is too dramatic, which is why you can never get a straight answer out of anybody because reporters are just looking for the tiniest thing that they can take out of context and blow up in the news.

But I think with regards to the mainstream press the right wing is far more farcical than whatever the left prints. I mean, in terms of numbers sold the Morning Star, Guardian and Mirror don't reach anywhere near the same readership as the insane Sun, Mail and Express; but the left leaning papers don't tend to be quite so flagrant when it comes to printing downright misleading lies either. I read the front pages of every main paper out of habit just to get a feel for how they're representing things and the level that some of these rags are stooping to is so low it should almost be considered illegal.

There is a huge abuse of position and power in this country and people are being duped into accepting it.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri May 12, 2017 7:24 pm

Mantis wrote:
katarn wrote:I think supporters on both sides scaremonger about the opposition way too much to be honest.

Agreed, everybody in politics is too dramatic, which is why you can never get a straight answer out of anybody because reporters are just looking for the tiniest thing that they can take out of context and blow up in the news.

But I think with regards to the mainstream press the right wing is far more farcical than whatever the left prints.

It's true I find right-leaning print media are more exaggerated on the whole - but online it's open-season from both sides, to an even greater degree. Particularly on internet forums/social media.

I just personally don't go in for all this: "If you vote for <insert party> you're either inherently stupid/evil/simply aren't aware of all the 'facts' and aren't able to make the right decision, etc...."

It puts me right off getting involved with any political discussion right from the off. It's not just here, it's everywhere. Just can't be arsed with it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri May 12, 2017 7:31 pm

On the whole I think we do a fairly good job on this forum. Clearly more people are left leaning than right from what I've read of people's posts, but you only ever really get called out for anything if you have really stupid views or just won't back up anything you're saying with fact or logic.

Social media is literally the worst thing to have any kind of discussion on. I stay away from it in general but definitely never engage in politics talk on Facebook or anything. It's either an echo chamber of people all sharing a same view with righteous fury or people just hurling awful abuse at each other for disagreeing, there is no in between. It's hard not to get passionate about what you believe in when it's something as serious as politics, but there's not really any excuse for ever saying some of the stuff I've read on Facebook. Twitter is even worse, 140 characters of pure condensed hatred.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri May 12, 2017 7:55 pm

I occasionally have to ask a question on Twitter whenever I spot something hilariously/horrendously hypocritical, but I've managed to avoid resorting to swearingtons.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Fri May 12, 2017 8:13 pm

I like to use Play Newsstand on Android collating papers and different blogs etc. I detest the fact that the Daily Express has one. They put words in capital letters as if that means they are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. The headline is always patriotic kill everything that isn't British bumfluff.

I do like this forum for discussion it doesn't seem to devolve to cussing and mooning.

As for my vote, I'm leaning towards Labour on the nhs charge alone. Lesser of two evils it would appear to me.

Also a quick one on Fox hunting. Is it the laziest blood sport ever? I mean if they really give a shit they'd be Swan diving off their horses onto the ginger gits armed with bayonets and brass knuckles. That might have been a dream I had. Make em go paintballing instead.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri May 12, 2017 8:38 pm

I don't really get blood sports in general really. It's some power trip thing that people must have where they derive entertainment out of slaughtering defenseless creatures with shotguns/rifles. I saw a clip of an interview the other day with David Cameron saying that now he'd resigned as an MP and had more spare time he was quite enjoying getting back into pheasant shooting. Because when you're no longer leader of a country the next biggest kick you can get is shooting stuff, I guess?

I mean, it'd be impressive if people were hunting crocodiles just using a machete, but shooting birds and watching dogs tear foxes to pieces is just a bit odd.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri May 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Would it help if they were so drunk the horse is the only thing keeping them off the ground? Because they are.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue May 16, 2017 7:07 pm

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Today's Evening Standard called it Comrade Corbyn's Red manifesto which is not so subtle code for Communism. They also claim people earning 80k+ are just well off, not rich. Good to see Osborne having a positive effect on the newspaper.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 am

Mantis wrote:I don't really get blood sports in general really. It's some power trip thing that people must have where they derive entertainment out of slaughtering defenseless creatures with shotguns/rifles. I saw a clip of an interview the other day with David Cameron saying that now he'd resigned as an MP and had more spare time he was quite enjoying getting back into pheasant shooting. Because when you're no longer leader of a country the next biggest kick you can get is shooting stuff, I guess?

I mean, it'd be impressive if people were hunting crocodiles just using a machete, but shooting birds and watching dogs tear foxes to pieces is just a bit odd.

I was a hunt saboteur for years in the eighties and early nineties until the ban came in. I got involved initially I think because I wanted to get into the knickers of a lass I knew who was involved, but it was one of the most defining experiences I had all told - sat here now typing this best part of 30 years later I am still seeing red.

- Utter cunts (because lets face it, there is no getting around this) digging up fox dens to get the cubs, which were then thrown to the pack to whet their appetite. Sometimes they got badger setts too, but they didn't really give a fuck one way or the other.

- When we used to see a 'dig out' going on (see above) we would pile on top of where they were digging in order to prevent it. On several occasions (including one I was involved in) the dig-out was nothing more than a lure for the sabs, and we were promptly set upon by the hunt supporters. I had a rib cracked by a baseball bat in that incident.

- The police were so pro the hunts it was a joke by and large. They would turn up with their lapel numbers removed, arrest you for no reason ("Crossing this stile will be a breach of the peace" was a typical one), put in a police van, and de-arrested at the end of the hunt. There were a few coppers who were alright and would let us know where the hunt was so we could keep pace, but mostly they were arseholes.

- Actually seeing a fox run down, as an animal lover, tore out my soul. I saw three "successful" hunts in my time, and each is burned into my mind. Seeing a sole terrified animal chased down by a pack and torn apart, honestly if you can glean pleasure from such an act you are less than human.

Man after all this time, it still makes my blood boil. Fucking Theresa May, what a filthy piece of shit.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed May 17, 2017 8:41 am

Eugh sounds horrid. I fail to see how fox hunting is any different to say bear baiting or dog fights and nobody in their right mind would look to reintroduce those.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed May 17, 2017 9:03 am

I absolutely cannot understand the mentality of blood sports like fox hunting, but thankfully it's one of those few policies where the vast majority of the country agrees. 84% of the country don't want to see the ban repealed (from a report from the end of last year).

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 17, 2017 11:19 am

I say allow fox hunting as long as the rest of the public is allowed to hunt down and do the same to anyone who participates in a fox hunt.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Rumours are the Tory manifesto is going to include a cut in elderly people receiving state funded care if they own assets worth more than £100,000, and that they can extract equity from their property to pay for care costs which will then be recouped when they die and their estate is divided up. That's pretty much any old person who owns a home then. Combined with their lack of backing for the triple lock that's quite a hit to pensioners! They must be feeling incredibly confident of a victory if they're hitting their core supporters so hard. That's actually a pretty fucking callous policy really, it hits middle class pensioners far harder than the rich ones.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World