Politics 101

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Jez

Re: 23rd June EU Referendum

Postby Jez » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Formal negotiations don't beginning until late May or early june. In the mean the EU has to dither about the guidelines.

The court cases were brought through by remainers weren't they?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:59 pm

I'm sure some of them probably were but I don't really think it's all that relevant. They were just doing their job and following our own laws that prevented the government from being able to run roughshod over everything without the approval of parliament; ironic that people voted Brexit to stop the EU dictating to us without accountability but as soon as we start following our own judicial process to stop the government doing the same the judges are suddenly 'enemies of the people'.

None of this discussion is really conducive to the point I was actually making in my post anyway; that is today is a really bad day.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:03 pm

In your opinion.

You ought to move there maybe seeing as you think them obstructing us in leaving amicably is some sort of high ideal to principles and a "silver lining" of some sort.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:07 pm

They're not really stopping us leaving amicably, they're just taking the stance that everyone has always said they would; that we can't just expect to walk away with a deal as good as what we had from being members. It's a nice dose of reality over the la-la land expectations certain people seem to hold.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Are they not really.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Well, I'll say this for me:

I'm not going to pretend that the EU is marvellous, it almost certainly isn't and is in desperate need of a kicking.

At this moment I still don't feel leaving is a good idea. On the basis there were some plus points and I don't think the government is upto the task of making something out of leaving.

If in a few years it's all going swimmingly I'm happy to eat my words. If it isn't then all the Leavers can go cry elsewhere out my face because I didn't choose that option.

I don't think I can say fairer then that.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Rossell wrote:Well, I'll say this for me:

I'm not going to pretend that the EU is marvellous, it almost certainly isn't and is in desperate need of a kicking.

At this moment I still don't feel leaving is a good idea. On the basis there were some plus points and I don't think the government is upto the task of making something out of leaving.

If in a few years it's all going swimmingly I'm happy to eat my words. If it isn't then all the Leavers can go cry elsewhere out my face because I didn't choose that option.

I don't think I can say fairer then that.

I have a heavy heart about it mostly because I held a belief that we should have been pushing from the front for a federal Europe from the moment maastrict treaty was signed. It's not a happy day like Mantis says. But it's definitely not an unhappy day either. It's a day for new thinking and enthusiasm in this country. We are the masters of our own success or failure. I look forward to seeing what we can come up with. I have faith. Maybe that's stupid but there it is...

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Hurray, another round of every news channel doing eight hour interviews with random street plebs to find out what they reckon leaving the EU will mean.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 pm

Edwin wrote:Hurray, another round of every news channel doing eight hour interviews with random street plebs to find out what they reckon leaving the EU will mean.

Followed quickly about whether the Scottish are leaving or not (again)

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:09 am

It's this belief that now we are leaving Europe we are suddenly the masters of our destiny that gets me. The world is interconnected now with countries having to work together now more than ever. To think that by leaving Europe we are suddenly free of all that is false thinking. Also I would like to know what it is, other than immigration, that Europe has stopped us from doing all these years.

The nationalist tub-thumping is also sickening. It shows how little we have grown since the end of the Second World War that whenever we have a situation in this country that demands grand decisions to be made everyone starts going on about the war, Dunkirk and British fighting spirit. Brexit politicians act like it is still the Empire years, forgetting that most of the world couldn't care less about little old Britain.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:51 pm

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Pretty much.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:34 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Also I would like to know what it is, other than immigration, that Europe has stopped us from doing all these years.
Stopped the Tories from truly screwing over the country. And something about bananas?

"May wants security, free trade, liberal values: just what we’re throwing away"

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:47 pm

I'd forgotten about the bananas.

Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 pm

That was literally the only thing one person could think of when I heard an interview on the radio a while back. He was saying he ran a small business and he was looking forward to not having to worry about EU regulations getting in the way anymore. When the presenter asked exactly which ones impacted his business he couldn't think of any and just said "Well at least we can sort out the bananas" or words to the extent.

For, fucking, real.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World