Politics 101

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Subway Diet

Re: Politics 101

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Mantis wrote:This cabinet shuffle is doing a decent job of distracting people from the fact that the Trade Bill is having its second reading in Parliament today.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/08/tory-trade-bill-ttip-brexit-britain-parliamentary-scrutiny

Shit. I had no idea about that.
Well, not like much can be done now other than to cross your fingers and hope common sense prevails.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Farage backing the possibility of a second referendum now. I wonder how it would go, no doubt we'd all vote the same way again because we're a country of thickos.

Interesting that he's suggested it though, I wonder if it's simply because he can't stand being out of the limelight and now that Trump hasn't given him a cushy job in the US he's desperate to get some more attention back here. Or perhaps he's realised that in a years time he's going to lose his fat MEP wages and doesn't want to be remembered in British history as one of the most hated men of the century, so he's all up for a second vote to turn things around. Doubtful, either way I'd rather he just crawled into a hole somewhere and nobody ever paid him any attention ever again. He's one of the few people who I wouldn't mind seeing crucified and hung up outside Parliament if things go completely tits up next year.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:25 pm

I think it's almost exclusively about him getting himself back in the news.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:04 pm

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen a headline saying that the Government are going to 'outline their Brexit plans', but supposedly we're going to get some confirmation of things next Friday following the talks the cabinet had yesterday. Jeremy Hunt has said today that we won't be a member of the customs union, so that gives a clue as to what they're going to announce. Of course, a week is a long time in politics and they will probably have changed their mind again before next week.

My prediction is that the announcement will involve them refusing membership of the customs union whilst also guaranteeing all the economic benefits of being in it, which the EU will then reject, and so the circle will continue.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 pm

I should be surprised that the Secretary of State for Destruction of the NHS is revealing foreign policy goals, but I'm not. What a god damn mess.

Previous

Return to General & Real World