Politics 101

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Politics 101

Postby Mantis » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:05 pm

At this point I think it's safe to say that if you have any movable assets, probably transfer them out of Sterling into USD or EUR. If May and Davis really can't make any headway with talks because they're too busy trying to play political games with them they we really are on course for a total catastrophe.

Papers will be released tomorrow with projections for the effects of a No-Deal scenario, assuming the government don't find yet another way to bodge them. They're becoming increasingly adept at subverting any form of democratic process to hide their own corruption/incompetence.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Three more weeks for the release of the Brexit impact papers apparently because they don't include 'qualitative forecasts' and need to be prepared, despite the fact that Davis has previously said that they do and that Theresa May has only seen summaries of them because the full documents go into 'gruelling detail'.

Steve Baker, one of the Brexit ministers, even went as far to say that Labour forcing the government to release these papers is 'unpatriotic' of them.

We really are being taken for an absolute ride aren't we.

Let's not also forget the international development secretary secretly negotiating sending UK aid to Israeli territory that we do not formally recognise and then lying about how many meetings she had. Or Boris Johnson making false comments that could potentially lead to an extended prison sentence for a UK citizen in Iran. Or the growing sexual harassment scandal prevalent in Westminster. Or the Conservative donors and peers who have all recently been outed as having massive investments in offshore tax havens. It's getting hard to keep up with the amount of scandals cropping up, those are all just this last week. No wonder none of them have the time to actually put any proper work into Brexit.

People will still vote for them of course won't they.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:31 pm

I think there are only two ways through this:

1) Be rich.

2) Become a Daily Mail reader and ride the waves of ignorance.

Other ideas appear to be exhausted.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Eny

Postby Eny » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:37 pm

Mediaeval 2, here we come tbh. The rich have been raising the drawbridge the last decade or so, everyone else, and their services, have been leached into virtual non-existence.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am

Q: In February you told MPs: “We continue to analyse the impact of our exit across the breadth of the UK economy.” The Commons motion calling for the impact assessments used that language.

Davis says that is not the same as an impact assessment.

Q: Did the government undertake an assessment of leaving the customs union before the cabinet took that decision?

Not a quantitative one, no, says Davis.

Q: Isn’t that extraordinary?

No, says Davis. He says the range of different outcomes is too wide. Some free trade agreements have been very effective, and others haven’t. Ministers had to take a judgment. That is what they did, he says.

Davis says cabinet took decision to leave the customs union without an analysis of the economic impact.

How the hell this guy hasn't been locked up for contempt of parliament yet is bewildering. He has lied through his teeth about everything when the reality is that they haven't really got a clue what they're doing.

They might actually sabotage Brexit entirely with their sheer arrogance and incompetence. Sooner or later someone with their senses about them is going to have to step in and say "Look, we have to cancel this whole process".

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:51 pm

Is it possible that the government are intentionally making brexit look increasingly farcical so that they can justify a second referendum? I really hope that's the case, because if they're actually this hopeless then we're truly fucked.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 pm

I've had that thought a number of times, but each time I do I remember that Boris Johnson is our foreign secretary and it reminds me just how utterly incompetent they can be.

Not doing impact assessments for possibly the largest single economic choice I think our country has ever had? It's either sheer stupidity, or they did them, didn't think the results should be made public and it's a lie.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:58 pm

A second referendum would be too risky. What are the chances of it being run at any better calibre than the first one? If Leave won a second time then we'd be doomed to the same scenario we're currently in. The large, wealthy elite ruling class would pedal more lies to normal people to give them this dogmatic view that we're better off out than in and they would win by a slim margin. I genuinely think that many people who voted Brexit the first time won't be that inclined to change their opinion if asked again.

Sorry, but such significant, complex and deeply important subjects should never be put to a popular vote. The sad thing is that you can't really trust our elected representatives to handle it themselves either.

I don't think they're doing it deliberately anyway, Davis is a die-hard Brexiter, why would he want to sabotage the process? He's just supremely arrogant in the belief that he doesn't actually need to do any real work or spend any money on analysing the possible outcomes. The distinct impression in Whitehall now is that when Bercow called for the papers to be released three weeks ago, the Government asked for more time because they needed to desperately throw things together when in reality they had nothing prepared.

Spoiler: show
One explanation is that the redactions removed all the valuable material. This is possible but it requires believing that the department had too much stuff to share and required time only to sift and remove it. Yet the permanent secretary, Philip Rycroft, giving testimony after Davis, essentially admitted that the opposite was true. He had been surprised by his ministerial bosses’ offer to parliament and had promptly required to oversee a process of rapid collection and collation of data. In other words, DexEU hasn’t spent the past three weeks taking things out. It has been scrabbling around for stuff to put in.

The more convincing explanation is that Davis was bluffing. He presumed that there was a lot of detail around somewhere, recognised at some level that it was the sort of thing that certainly ought to exist and didn’t expect ever to be forced to admit that it didn’t. And when parliament called his bluff, he doubled down, played along with the idea of impact assessments and let his civil servants try to do a year’s worth of government homework in less than a month.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Lets be realistic, the current crop of cunts in power are all sat thinking "Well fuck it, I am alright, where did I put those non-executive directorship offers again?"

It's enough to make you fucking sick, how such blatant lying and incompetence can be fucking tolerated. Her Maj should have the whole crop of lying fucks carted off to the Tower and insist the populace start again.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:00 pm

After all that bluster from MPs telling the EU to 'go whistle' it turns out that we pretty much have agreed to everything they've told us we have to do so far.

Who saw that one coming?

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:56 pm

To be fair, they managed to knock £11 billion off the divorce bill. Saying they were going to pay nothing initially is a negotiating tactic, nobody actually expected it to happen.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Edwin wrote:To be fair, they managed to knock £11 billion off the divorce bill. Saying they were going to pay nothing initially is a negotiating tactic, nobody actually expected it to happen.

Not really, all that happened was a higher number was initially reported in the press than the cost will actually be. It is still an unfeasible amount of money to come up with, and I don't think any credit can be given for negotiating a damned thing.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Previous

Return to General & Real World