Politics 101

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: 23rd June EU Referendum

Postby Raid » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:56 am

Wrathbone wrote:I'm generally against tactical voting, but in this instance I'm leaning towards doing so to get the Tories out. Lancaster is a Tory/Labour swing constituency, and a Lib Dem vote here is more symbolic than practical. Plus Comedy Corbyn is BFFs with our current Labour MP, Cat Smith.

Cat Smith is the only MP I've ever actually liked. Regardless of tactical voting, I think she actually deserves her position.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:11 am

Agreed. I concur with the majority of her voting record and she seems like a nice person.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:39 pm

This is certainly going to be interesting. I personally feel that the Lib Dems are a spent force, they sacrificed themselves entirely for a failed AV referendum during their time in government and subsequently took the brunt of the blame for enabling so many Tory policies. I think their performance in the Richmond Park by election a few months ago will prove to be a bit of an outlier and won't be reflected in a nationwide election, but who knows.

Corbyn has taken too long to provide concrete policies, but it's clear that he is on the right tracks, and he always does well in debates because he talks sense and doesn't resort to negative attacks on his opponents. He had time to practice at last years leadership coup too. It's just a matter of whether he gets the right publicity, the media has a habit of only reporting his gaffes and the more he's on a public platform the increased likelihood he will put his foot in it.

I think the most logical outcome from this will be an increased Conservative majority, with massive Labour losses and a few extra Lib Dems. But it really could go any way. We could see a miracle for Labour, or maybe even the Lib Dems will win back a similar amount of seats that they held prior to 2015. The only thing I'm fairly certain of is that UKIP are going to lose vote share and fail to secure a single seat; they are redundant as a party now that all the Brexshit voters have vented their frustrations and won.

Tim Farron thinks it will end in another hung parliament. Can you imagine if the Lib Dems won enough seats and went into coalition with the Tories again in the name of securing a balanced Brexit negotiation. I don't think he's stupid enough to ever attempt that, but it'd be hilarious. There'd be full on riots.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:50 am

Considering he has already said the Lib Dems would do that, he is stupid enough. Like I said the Lib Dems are more right leaning than left.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:24 am

Wasn't sure if this was more a Trump or Brexit story. But, in the end, it's the UK getting screwed so:

Trump puts EU ahead of Britain in trade queue

Merkel lands Brexit victory for Brussels

Britain has been pushed behind the European Union in the queue to strike a free-trade deal with the United States, officials in Washington have said.

President Trump has softened his opposition to negotiating with the bloc as a whole after attempts by his officials to open talks with individual European nations were rebuffed.

During a private conversation last month, Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, convinced Mr Trump that talks on a US-EU deal would be simpler than he thought, sources close to both sides of the discussion told The Times.

This led to a “realisation” in the Trump administration that a trade deal with the EU — allowing the tariff-free exchange of goods and services — was more important to US interests than a post-Brexit deal with Britain, a source close to the White House said.

The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) trade deal between the EU and US, shelved after Mr Trump’s election victory, could now be revived or a new deal proposed.

The EU is America’s biggest trading partner: US exports to the bloc last year were worth $270 billion; it imported goods worth $417 billion. In the same period the US exported $55 billion in goods to Britain and imported $54 billion.

The development threatens to embarrass Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, who after meeting Mr Trump’s advisers in January claimed that Britain would be “first in line” for a deal. A year ago Barack Obama warned that the UK would be at “the back of the queue” if it left the EU. Speaking alongside David Cameron in London, he said: “Maybe at some point down the line there might be a UK-US trade agreement but it’s not going to happen any time soon.”

Mr Trump’s change of heart has been put down to Mrs Merkel’s intransigence. After her trip to Washington, she briefed cabinet colleagues on what she said were “very basic misunder- standings” by Mr Trump on the “fundamentals” of the EU and trade.

“Ten times Trump asked her if he could negotiate a trade deal with Germany. Every time she replied, ‘You can’t do a trade deal with Germany, only the EU’,” a senior German politician said. “On the eleventh refusal, Trump finally got the message, ‘Oh, we’ll do a deal with Europe then.’ ” Cecilia Malmström, the EU’s trade commissioner, will visit Washington next week for informal talks with Wilbur Ross, the US commerce secretary, and other Trump officials. The EU and Mrs Malmström are keen not to appear to plead for the reopening of TTIP negotiations but will discuss the “economic and strategic rationale” for a deal if the American side does the same.

May held his hand for nothing!? :o

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:44 am

Who would have thought all of the EU was more important than just the UK
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:14 am

Nah mate, the whole world is queuing up for good deals on our jam and biscuits. Rule Britannia.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Wasn't TTIP supposed to be terrible?
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:57 pm

It was. Last I heard of it was that a significant amount of the EU countries were rejecting various parts of it on the grounds that it would ruin all their public owned services.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:34 am

Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Having had a look at all the stats and turnout for the referendum and last GE I reckon the Lib Dems might actually do better than I initially predicted. It's more likely that they're going to steal Tory seats than Labour ones so potentially they could force a hung parliament. That is providing people can forgive them for the last Government or trust anything they say anymore. Let's just hope that Labour don't drop the ball so badly on the campaign that they lose even more people to the Conservatives.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Election 2015
Europe Referendum
Brexit
Trump
North Korea
Russia
Flatlined income wealth
Shite services & zero customer satisfaction

.......now....Election 2017 (after being promised 6 times there won't be one)

seriously is the World taking the piss

Was thinking of voting Tory but everyday I am beginning to like May less and less. She is a career politician who I feel will sooner stab you in the back than cheer you on. Might vote Green only because all the alternatives are beginning to look absolutely fucking awful

The Tories will win and if it is a landslide and Corbyn refuses to step down - I foresee a split in the Labour Party (for real this time). This cannot go on. A big Tory majority is as good as a dictatorship
Games playing : Syndicate / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Warp

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:seriously is the World taking the piss

Was thinking of voting Tory

Yes, the world is taking the piss.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:14 pm

I was thinking of voting Tory because I get the feeling that they would provide STRONG AND STABLE leadership.

Or not. May is actually more feckless than Corbyn.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Yes, under Tory leadership, their wallets will be STRONG AND STABLE.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World