D&D - Non-Player Thread (Details in first Post)

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Sly Boots
MILF

Re: D&D - Anyone fancy a forum game?

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 18, 2016 10:38 am

That moment when you've filled out most of your character sheet, before realising you added the values of all four dice for your stats, and need to start all over again :(
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 18, 2016 10:44 am

#-o

That would be one beefy character.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 18, 2016 10:45 am

I won't lie, Wrathbone, I was a powerhouse.

Oddly, after re-rolling, I am slightly less dumb however :lol:
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 18, 2016 11:20 am

I present to you my half-elf rogue:

Spoiler: show
Name: Slythe Nimblefinger
Height: 5'9
Weight: 63kg
Eyes: Green
Skin: Fair
Hair: Dark-brown

Being raised on the streets of Waterdeep, the realm's principal port city, was tough. Or at least that's what Slythe heard. He wouldn't know, for naturally nimble fingers - the source of his nickname in the city's least salubrious areas - and an eye for everything that shines, glitters or clinks ensured that he always had enough in his purse to feed and clothe himself.

If Slythe ever found himself in a situation his dexterous digits could not resolve, a quick wit and a silver tongue ensure there are scant few he cannot talk his way out of. This is particularly true for his varied romantic exploits. One such dalliance with a gnomish lass of uncommon beauty (don't ask) gave him the skills to communicate in their own unusual tongue.

The only shadow cast over his life is a long one. Once spying a cruel nobleman, Sir Chalfont Giles, savagely beating a young urchin in the street, Slythe decided to take the vile lord was in need of being taken down a peg or two. After breaking in to Chalfont's stately pile, his attempt to relieve the noble of his riches was prematurely discovered, but not before he stole the family's treasured heirloom - a purple ring of great worth, that emits a strange glow when danger is near.

After the failed robbery, Slythe has been on the run from Sir Giles for the last two years, always on the move the throw off his pursuers.

Yeah, I started to go down a bit of a strange path with the character history :lol:

Traits, bonds etc:

Spoiler: show
Traits:
- Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
- I don't pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds.
- I love a good insult, even one directed at me.

Ideals:
- Independence. I am a free spirit--no one tells me what to do. (Chaotic)
- Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people. (Chaotic)

Bonds:
- I fleeced the wrong person and must work to ensure that this individual never crosses paths with me or those I care about.

Flaws:
- I can't resist a pretty face.
- It's not stealing if I need it more than someone else.
Last edited by Sly Boots on Wed May 18, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed May 18, 2016 11:37 am

Well met, noble knave! Not exactly the gallant and heroic warrior I was expecting, but I will do my best to consign your deeds into song!

Behold gallant Slythe Nimblefinger
One sultry look dost make the ladies aquiver
But his purple ring glows queer
When Sir Giles draws near
And Slythe he certainly doth not dither

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 18, 2016 11:44 am

:lol:

Hail, gentle, inebriated flame-beard! Truly does thine gift for verse exceed thy love of ales!

Alas, I fear it is true, Chalfont's thoughts rarely stray from his ring, the blackguard. But onwards, to adventure and glory!
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 18, 2016 11:48 am

These characters sound great, and I won't lie - nimble fingers and romantic expertise could turn out to be crucial.

A couple of random game things that will likely crop up (you don't need to remember them, so just for info):

Advantage / Disadvantage
For some skill checks and attack rolls I may say you have an advantage or disadvantage. This is just what it sounds like - you may have advantage if the situation is in your favour, e.g. if you're trying to bash down a door and it's already hanging on one hinge, and you may have disadvantage if things are working against you, like if you're trying to attack someone with your hands tied. What this means in game terms is that you roll two d20s - for advantage you take the higher value, and for disadvantage you take the lower value.

Inspiration
Every now and then I may award a player a point of inspiration for doing something particularly innovative, heroic or exciting, for exceptional roleplaying, or for being true to their character even when that works against them or the party (e.g. Sly Boots tries to surreptitiously steal the king's crown straight from his head because he reeeeeally needs it). You can spend your inspiration point at any time to give yourself advantage on an attack roll or skill check, or to negate a disadvantage. You can also gift your inspiration point to another player, but each player can only have one point at a time.

Photos!

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Wed May 18, 2016 12:08 pm

Oh man, I would be all over this but with the recent arrival of our second child, I won't be on here often enough :(

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Congrats!

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 18, 2016 12:19 pm

Yes, well done mate, assume you're catching up on lots of sleep ;)
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed May 18, 2016 12:29 pm

When we begin the game proper, Wrath, make a new thread and we can dump all our character bios and links to stat sheets in your first post so that the game is easy to follow for spectators. And maybe keep this one as a place for non players to post if you'd rather keep the game thread for character posts.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Wed May 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Right, going to make my character now. So tempting to be a Forest Gnome... just because...

Will post whatever I come up with soon! It's set in Faerun right? You lot seem to have found some nice little locales to set your character history in!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 18, 2016 12:36 pm

I just made up a name to be honest, although I'd be amazed if it didn't already appear in a fantasy book or game somewhere!
My face is tired.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Wed May 18, 2016 12:37 pm

Well Stormsea could easily be a place along the Sword Coast or somewhere. Regardless, we have no reason not to be able to begin wherever Wrathbone tells us we do. Speaking of which, where does the adventure begin? It might affect my character background as I want it to be believable that I end up there...

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Wed May 18, 2016 12:41 pm

Mantis wrote:When we begin the game proper, Wrath, make a new thread and we can dump all our character bios and links to stat sheets in your first post so that the game is easy to follow for spectators. And maybe keep this one as a place for non players to post if you'd rather keep the game thread for character posts.

Yep, that sounds like a good idea.

Will post whatever I come up with soon! It's set in Faerun right?

Yes, in the underdark. Actually since most of us are new to this I've been wondering if it might be better to start with the adventure from the starter set, Lost Mine of Phandelver. It's a much more traditional high adventure story (also in Faerun), whereas Out of the Abyss - while excellent - has a slightly darker tone with more complexities and freeform roaming. I'll put it to you guys as to which you'd prefer, I'm happy to do either.

Gibby - If we do Out of the Abyss then it starts in the underdark (and stays there for pretty much the whole thing), but your character doesn't have to have any ties to the underdark. If we do Phandelver, it starts near Neverwinter.

Photos!

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World