D&D - Non-Player Thread (Details in first Post)

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Wrathbone

D&D - Non-Player Thread (Details in first Post)

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 17, 2016 12:04 pm

Wot the title says. :) I've been running D&D 5th edition games for a small group of friends for about a year now and I thought it might be fun to try a forum game, as in the DM and the players post what they're doing in a thread. I know there are good online tools for running games, such as Fantasy Grounds and roll20.net, but a forum game is simple, easy and not necessarily time-restrictive.

What you need to know about D&D
Nothing! I'd intend to run a D&D 5e game because that's the ruleset I know, and it's also a really easy and flexible system. If you're interested in playing but have no D&D knowledge that's not a problem - I can show you how to create a character or even create one for you if you let me know a few preferences (name, race, class, etc). Actually playing the game is usually as simple as just saying what you want to do, and sometimes you'll need to roll a dice (or virtual dice) to see if that works. This will not be a hardcore game with rule nazis and impenetrable complexities. :wink:

If you want to know more about 5th edition, the basic rules are available here (you do not in any way need to understand it all!):

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... asic-rules

How it would work
I'm open to suggestions on this, but what I think would work best is if everyone involved agreed to check the thread regularly over an agreed time period of about 2-3 hours, to keep the game moving at a reasonable pace. This could be daily, weekly or whatever. If you can't make a session that's not a problem - your character could be picked up by someone else for that session, or I could run that character in a neutral way (i.e. not into a pit of fire).

Is there a limit on players?
I don't think this will be an issue (assuming anyone at all is even bothered for this!). I'm intending to run Out of the Abyss, a recent published adventure which involves a jolly old romp through the Underdark, and it's an adventure which lends itself well to parties of all sizes. I'd say more than 6 players may be tricky, but not impossible.

So... is anyone interested?

Character Sheets
Ellis Bottlebelt - Mantis
Slythe Nimblefinger - Sly Boots
Van'Skar - Quietman

Isindor - DJChunkFunk (No longer playing)
Also, Gibby played a Druid called Kashan. But he was washed away by a tidal wave.

Thread One
Thread Two
Thread Three
Thread Four
Thread Five

Less recent days are moved to the archive.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Stormbringer

Re: D&D - Anyone fancy a forum game?

Postby Stormbringer » Tue May 17, 2016 12:06 pm

YES! Sign me up.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 17, 2016 12:08 pm

Yay, we have a player!

Forgot to mention one important thing - dice rolls will be trusted. I don't expect anyone's out to take the piss with a string of 20s, and it's a bit of fun, so we'll just accept the numbers that are posted.

Photos!

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Tue May 17, 2016 12:14 pm

I check the forum every few minutes (I'm easily bored ¬_¬) so there's no worries about me keeping up. I also have a full set of Polyhedral dice. I've never played proper D&D before though (any version), other than board games, so you'll have to tell me everything as we go.

I suspect Gibby will be up for this too.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 17, 2016 12:26 pm

Cool - the rules you need to know are really straightforward. Basically there are two important things: combat rules and skill checks. Skill checks are used if you try to do something that isn't a dead cert, such as leaping a chasm or pickpocketing (or anything else you come up with). Each character has a list of skills (such as athletics, persuasion, sleight of hand, religion, etc), and each skill has a modifier. All you do for a skill check is roll a d20 and add the relevant modifier, and then it's compared to a number called a difficulty class (DC) which I make up based on how difficult I think it is. For example, if you try to smooth talk your way past the guard I may ask for a deception check, so you'd roll a d20 and add your deception modifier. If you make a convincing attempt at actually talking your way out of something then I may lower the DC to take that into account.

Basic combat has two parts - attack rolls and damage rolls. The attack roll is to see if you hit your target (vs the target's armour class, or AC) and, if it does hit, you then roll to see how much damage you do. The attack roll is a d20 plus a modifier which I'll explain later (it's not that important to understand, basically we'll figure it out from your skills and just write it down). The damage roll depends on your weapon, so it could be one of several dice plus another modifier. And that's about all you need to know. If you're unsure of anything just ask, and if you need to know something I'll tell you. Most of the time you just say what you want to do and I describe if / how that plays out. :)

Photos!

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Tue May 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Sounds excellent. I'm super-lazy when it comes to reading rules, so I'm going to be relying on you for everything. ¬_¬

Tell me what I need to do to start creating my character.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 17, 2016 1:02 pm

I'll try and put together a full rundown of creating a character tonight, but the first place to start is by downloading a character sheet:

http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads ... EETSV3.ZIP

I tend to use the one called "Character Sheet - Print Version" (or the form fillable one above it). Think of a name, then have a think about what sort of character you want to play. The basic rules only cover a few races and classes, but the full list is:

Races
Human, dwarf, elf, gnome, halfling and dragonborn

EDIT - and half-orcs and half-elves! Sorry half-orcs/elves. :(

Classes
Barbarian, bard, cleric, druid, fighter, monk, paladin, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, warlock and wizard

Next, you want to roll your 6 primary attributes - strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom and charisma. For each attribute, roll four d6 dice (or 4d6) and take the highest three values. There are race-specific bonuses to these values, but I'll have to check the player's handbook when I get home. If you end up with a set of absolute duff numbers then you can scrap them all and start again. Oh, also once you've rolled the six numbers you can choose which attributes to assign them to, you don't have to assign them in order.

You can also decide on an alignment, which is one of the following:

Lawful good
Lawful neutral
Lawful evil
Neutral good
Neutral
Neutral evil
Chaotic good
Chaotic neutral
Chaotic evil

This is just a guideline for how your character generally acts more than anything else. I'd generally steer players away from being evil, but if you reeeeeally want to then that's fine. It can actually be funny. My current real-world game has an evil character and he's being a dick to everyone they meet, and has on two separate occasions murdered non-player party members for fun. :lol: As long as it doesn't piss off the other players too much I say go with it.

I'll explain the rest of the character sheet later tonight.
Last edited by Wrathbone on Tue May 17, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 17, 2016 1:07 pm

Sounds fun. I love computer RPGs and have played many, but I've never played a pen-and-paper D&D game. I'd like to give it a go, though.
My face is tired.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 17, 2016 1:13 pm

Nice one - 3 players is really the minimum we need, but obviously a few more would be good.

Photos!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 17, 2016 1:24 pm

Are there any online tools for doing d20 dice rolls - as I don't own one of those. I could probably look myself, asking in case you already know of anything suitable.

To answer my own question, I found this, which looks as though it should work:

https://www.wizards.com/d20modern/d20mdice/dice.htm
Last edited by Sly Boots on Tue May 17, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My face is tired.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Tue May 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 17, 2016 1:29 pm

:lol:

Great minds!
My face is tired.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue May 17, 2016 2:35 pm

I'm down for this :)
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 17, 2016 2:55 pm

Go on, count me in.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue May 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Awesome, we have a party! Any more takers welcome. Also worth noting that if anyone wants to join after we've already started then the nature of this adventure makes it very easy to introduce new players at any point.

Photos!

Next

Return to General & Real World