"See ya later, Navigator!"

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Stormbringer

"See ya later, Navigator!"

Postby Stormbringer » Fri May 06, 2016 10:51 am

FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR STAR CHARGED WITH BANK ROBBERY!

What a shame! Flight of the Navigator is one of my favourite films from the 80s. :(

"Hi, you wouldn't happen to know the way to Fort Lauderdale, would you?"

"It's like a bad dream."
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Prey
Admin

Re: "See ya later, Navigator!"

Postby Prey » Fri May 06, 2016 11:08 am

I just happened to be reading about this on my phone last night Doug and me made me very sad concerning the lives of some of the most recognised child actors from when we were kids. He was such a great actor in Flight too.

In related news Jake Lloyd was diagnosed with mental health problems too recently...

Jake Lloyd has been in jail since June when he led police on a high-speed chase in South Carolina.

On Saturday his mother Lisa told TMZ the former child actor, who starred as Anakin Skywalker in the 1999 blockbuster film Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, suffers from schizophrenia.

This has caused authorities to transfer the star, who is now 27-years-old, from a jail cell to a psychiatric facility.

Fame at such an early age sure does fuck you up and yet some seem to handle it while others seem to just utterly fall apart as the years go by and the work slowly but surely dries up. :|

Flight of the Navigator is right up there with Explorers for me personally.

Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri May 06, 2016 11:18 am

Had to post this...

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri May 06, 2016 11:19 am

I'm not going to say that Jake Lloyd's early fame led to schizophrenia, but I can only imagine the toll the much maligned Young Anakin role must have had on him. Getting to be in Star Wars must be incredibly exciting for someone that young, but then you get criticised for the rest of your life by a very vocal part of the fanbase. How the hell do you prepare a ten year old for that?

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Fri May 06, 2016 1:25 pm

Prey wrote:Had to post this...

Ha! That was good!

What's more sad about the Joey Cramer story is that about a decade ago -- as I understand it -- there was an online campaign to try and find out what happened to him after he dropped off the Hollywood radar.

Turns out that he was eventually found working in a sports shop in Canada:

The general feeling at the time was: "Hooray! A child actor who, instead of going on to have a mental breakdown, dying young, or becoming an obnoxious celebrity, went on to live a normal life!"

Seems like this didn't work out so well for him after all.
Last edited by Stormbringer on Fri May 06, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Fri May 06, 2016 1:31 pm

According to his Wikipedia page, he's been in trouble with the law a number of times over the past eight years:

Wikipedia wrote:Cramer returned to live in Canada's Sunshine Coast after the end of his acting career in the late 1990's, being employed in a small sporting goods store. A decade later he began to run into conflict with the legal authorities. In 2008 he was prosecuted for careless storage of a gun, receiving a sentence of three months probation; later in the year he was convicted for possession of narcotics with the intention of trafficking, receiving an imprisonment sentence of six months. In October 2010 he was fined for consuming alcohol in a public place. In 2011 he was convicted of threatening behaviour with a weapon and jailed for 30 days, and received another conviction in that year for cashing forged bank cheques. As of 2016 Cramer was resident in Gibsons, British Columbia, Canada. He was arrested by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police on 1 May 2016 in connection with a bank robbery of a Scotiabank outlet that occurred in Sechelt, British Columbia a few day earlier.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri May 06, 2016 1:49 pm

It just annoys me how such news stories seemingly go out of their way to use the most down and desperate looking photo of these child actors they can find. See the Jake Lloyd snap above.

Why not this one?

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri May 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Edward Furlong and Macaulay Culkin went off the rails pretty quickly as well didn't they?

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri May 06, 2016 1:55 pm

Prey wrote:It just annoys me how such news stories seemingly go out of their way to use the most down and desperate looking photo of these child actors they can find.

Why not this one?

The other one is his mugshot.

I think Jake Lloyd is a little different, apparently Star Wars fans went out of their way to tell a ten year old how terrible he was even though he was considered quite a good child actor in his other roles. George Lucas' writing abilities and obsessive weirdos effectively ended his career.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri May 06, 2016 2:26 pm

Man, that sucks about Jake Lloyd. Saw him grown-up on a documentary of something or other a while back, and it looked like although he now hated anything to do with Star Wars, he'd kind of learned to tune it out and was getting on with his life.

Sad to hear how badly the whole experience affected him. WTF is wrong with people that they'd take out the shitness of that film on the poor little kid who up to then had been celebrating landing a role every other kid dreamed about?
My face is tired.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Fri May 06, 2016 3:03 pm

Animalmother wrote:Macaulay Culkin went off the rails pretty quickly as well

No; he has a conviction for a drug misdemeanour, but nothing serious. People seem to think badly of him from his role in the Michael Jackson trial, but he's just another actor these days. Apparently he dated Mila Kunis for several years.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri May 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Man, that sucks about Jake Lloyd. Saw him grown-up on a documentary of something or other a while back, and it looked like although he now hated anything to do with Star Wars, he'd kind of learned to tune it out and was getting on with his life.

Sad to hear how badly the whole experience affected him. WTF is wrong with people that they'd take out the shitness of that film on the poor little kid who up to then had been celebrating landing a role every other kid dreamed about?

Was thinking the same thing. Taking out that films inherent badness on a small child is pretty low. Genetic material that took millions of years to evolve utterly wasted on fuckwits.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun May 08, 2016 10:01 pm

I had a brief conversation with Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: TNG) on Reddit on this subject a few months ago. He was a lot older than Jake Lloyd and Joey Cramer when he started on his most famous role (15), but his character was similarly disliked and it did take him a while to get over that. What shocked me though was his description of how he was treated on set; some directors didn't even refer to him by name. Although his co-stars were as good to him as they were to each other, he was once chewed out by William Shatner (someone he idolised) when he went to meet him (provoking Gene Roddenberry into phoning Shatner and giving him a bollocking). He had to see a therapist later in life.

I do wonder how many child actors have issues later in life after playing disliked characters; the Harry Potter kids all seem to have turned out alright (although Radcliffe did play a flatulent corpse in one of his latest films), and I don't recall them being thought of especially negatively.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Sun May 08, 2016 10:08 pm

What's weird about the case of Joey Cramer is that he didn't become a subject (to my knowledge) of public scorn. Flight of the Navigator remains one of the best films of its era and is looked back upon in fondness by nearly every adult who was a child in the 80s. I can understand people like Jake Lloyd going off the rails -- sad as that truly is -- but I guess there's a lot of pressure and emotional upheaval from being a child actor in itself, regardless of what kind of feedback you receive from viewers.

Also, Cramer's trouble with the law started in 2008, a decade after he quit acting. Perhaps it was personal or circumstantial issues that drove him to crime, completely unrelated to his days in Hollywood?

Return to General & Real World