Preys World Favourite Games of 2015

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Mantis
Admin

Preys World Favourite Games of 2015

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:16 pm

No frills this year because I don't have the time to put together any categories or scoring sheets. So, what did everyone enjoy the most last year? From 1 to 5 in rank order.

I'm curious as to how many people have played The Witcher 3. :wink:

I'll kick things off:

5. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain - Lost interest before finishing the story but still had an absolute ton of fun with this. One of the best looking games released this year.
4. Rocket League - Fills up basically every weekend with drunken shouting and cheering. And I can't even stand football.
3. Hotline Miami 2 - Absolutely amazing soundtrack and quite a poignant way to wrap up the franchise. The story is just so pessimistic and meta, I love it. Also, did I mention the soundtrack?
2. Undertale - Late comer to my attention but swept in and quickly became one of my favourite RPGs in years.
1. Bloodborne - It's Miyazaki doing Lovecraft. Nothing more to say.

Jez

Re: Preys World Favourite Games of 2015

Postby Jez » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:04 pm

Haven't played too much in 2015

1. WITCHER 3 (twice and haven't done dlc yet) LOVE ITTTTTTTT!

2. MGS Phanton pain (weird game but generally good) hankering to play the MP version

3. Elite dangerous - flawed diamond in the rough.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:25 pm

Lists!? I love lists!

This is my top five, as of the end of 2015. There's stacks of games I've got but not played from this year.

5. Crypt of the Necrodancer - This get's the fifth place as barely any of the big budget games I've played even left an impression, and the rest I've not played enough of to make a solid call (and I'm not giving the fifth place to Hatred, no matter how semi-ironically I enjoyed it!). Not a problem, though, as this game is really good. Got as far as I could with it before it got bastard hard and am looking forward to doing a few challenge type runs when I'm done with catching up on what I've missed this year. Also, and you'll be hearing a lot of this, the soundtrack is amazing!
4. Axiom Verge - Rock solid adventure platformer. Just the right level of challenge to the gameplay, with loads of extra secrets to find and areas to explore. And that soundtrack!
3. Read Only Memories - Cyberpunk visual novel that calls back to genre classics on the Mega CD. Excellent soundtrack, bright bubblegum anime pixel art, fun characters and a positive message make this one of my favourite times this year.
2. Metal Gear Solid V - As rushed as the ending is, the moment to moment gameplay is impeccable. It's an almost perfect combination of systems that allow for unprecedented tactical freedom and make it the best stealth/shooter hybrids of a long time. And, of course, both it's selected and original soundtrack is damn good.
1. Undertale - October was one hell of a month. Riding high on completing MGSV, I figured it'd be fun to roll into something smaller. So I fired up Undertale on a whim and was immediately disarmed by it's charms and humour. It's essentially the completely engaging story and character flip side to Metal Gear's pure play mechanics. Just loved being in that world and meeting all those characters, even if they're monochrome pixel art monsters. And, of course, the soundtrack is amazing!
End of an Era

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:14 pm

As with my votes in the Eurogamer thread, my 2015 top 5 would be:

1 - Witcher 3
2 - Tales from the Borderlands
3 - Mad Max
4 - GTA V
5 - Fallout 4
My face is tired.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:39 am

5 - Rocket League - Had some great fun with this game. I'm really not an expert on this, but what I've played of it is crazy fun. Easy to play, hard to master.

4 - Cities Skyline - Spend so many hours on this. Its a great city building sim and despite its short coming I enjoyed it thoroughly.

3 - GTA 5 - It's GTA. Solid addition. Starting to tire of the whole genre now though. It's over done to the point of tediousness. Needs a bigger shake up. I also didn't really like the three character story line. I want to play one dude next time please Rockstar.

2 - The Witcher 3 - Everything about this game was perfect. I loved every single bit of the game up until what I've played. I've STILL not finished it but I enjoyed it so much I had to put it here. As a fan of the series this chapter did extremely well. Beautiful graphics, engaging combat and some excellent writing. Also, GWENT.

1 - Axion Verge - I can't tell you how much fun I've had during this game. The soundtrack, the weird story, the variety of weapons, all the secrets! I don't think I've played a game for this long, in such a short time in years. It's even convinced me to go back and re play COntra and actually get around to emulating Metroid.

--

I will say I've yet to play Undertale. From all the talk, it's really, really unique and strange. I will probably adjust this list when I get around to playing it.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:15 am

This is a difficult list to order, although the games in it are fairly easy to group into candidates. I would include GTAV on the list, but got it last year (or the year before) on the PS4 so the impact was less even though I enjoyed the PC outing hugely. Bar, that is, the massively flawed GTA Online, I can't believe how badly they dropped the ball there.

Anyhoo, my list:

5. Dying Light: Techland/Deep Silver's zombies meets parkour game was an absolute gem. A game where the zombies were straight out of a Romero film, and really would mess you up if you dallied. The open world mission structure worked for me, letting me go off-piste exploring at will. The parkour worked amazingly well too, putting movement in the likes of Far Cry to shame.

4. Elite Dangerous: As has been said earlier, a diamond in the rough. Had so much fun with it in beta and still jump on pretty frequently, so it warrants its place on this list.

3. Fallout 4: A difficult one. I love and loathe this game in equal measure I think - things grate at me with it but at the same time I enjoy it so much. More of the same from Fallout, but delivered bug-free for once and lovable even though it is clunky and much more ugly than it has any right to be.

2. Witcher 3: This was a really tough choice, as W3 is virtually a perfect game. Graphically mesmerising, phenomenal characters, masses of content, brilliantly voice-acted, has Gwent (which people not called Snowy seem to love), grim and visceral setting (I detest high fantasy). Just brilliant. I drifted away from it for a while but have recently come back and am loving it again.

1. MGSV: Had you told me this time last year that I would be voting a MGS game #1 I would have laughed in your face. I loathe this series, the stupid plots, stupid names, stupid boss fights and the endless cutscenes drive me mental. A shame as the gameplay (when you are allowed it enjoy it) was always decent.

Cue MGS5, a game which relegates almost all of the stupid story to a box of cassettes that can be ignored, and that only has two real boss fights to spoil its otherwise superlative stealth combat.

I am deliberately ignoring the story, Quiet's lack of clobber, the stupid 'part 2' insane difficulty re-runs, and focusing on the meat of what the game gives you - a masterful and beautiful stealth game. I have spent so long slithering through the undergrowth of Afghanistan and Africa, flitting unseen through airports, military bases, fortifications and towns, fultoning like a madman, and I have loved every minute of it. A replay is fast approaching, and I am really looking forward to going through it again but this time armed with all the knowledge and skills I picked up from the first play-through.

A brilliant game, and one that due to my utter disdain for the series caught me completely unawares.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:09 am

1.Witcher 3
Redefines how open worlds should be constructed and on top of that created an amazing world that felt lived in. The story was also excellent. It is the first time that you play Geralt as someone who is not trying to save the world, yes you can get involved with politics if you want, but the main thrust of the story is to find Cyri. Really the story is about her and I think this fact gets overlooked when considering the strengths of the game. It's rare for an open world RPG to not cast you as the saviour of the world and that the Witcher does this and also manages to make you want to play that role is a great achievement.

2.Tales for the Borderlands
Telltales best game yet full of wonderful characters, amazing moments and jokes that work. It's sad that much like Wolf Among Us, their last good game, we probably wont see a sequel.

3.Life is Strange
One of the most effecting games that I have played in a long time, if ever. Yes it has it's issues, but the relationship between Chloe and Max is wonderfully realised and despite my worries that it might all collapse in the final episode I think they did a good job of rounding the story out.

4.Her Story
An interesting game which is a triumph of design. That Sam Barlow managed to construct the game in such a way that you can't figure out the solution after just a few attempts is brilliant.

5.Fallout 4
I couldn't think of a fifth when I was compiling my list for Eurogamer, but since then I have put a lot more hours into Fallout 4 and have been really enjoying it. Yes as a Bethesda game it still contains a lot of their little foibles, but some of the quality of life changes they have made are significant. Stuff like the crafting stuff; making radiation matter, creating companions that are fun to be with, all go a long way to making the game more enjoyable than Fallouts past. However I think the big thing for me with this game was the world design and art direction. That the world is no longer a washed out grey/brown is such a major thing. Despite the better writing in New Vegas, the fact that everything looks the same and looks so dull just put me off. Here I want to explore the world and enjoy spending time in it.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:58 am

5: Call of Duty Black Ops III - Multiplayer

As of last night I've played the multiplayer portion of BLOPS III for a good 80 hours. That's more than I've played any online release of Call of Duty to date, even more than my all time favourite World at War's multiplayer. The very first thing that noticeably clicked for me with this game was that it just plain fucking worked from the very second I spawned with my first team at Rank 1 nub. No 60 seconds of stutter to plough through getting killed immediately as I waited for it to stop as was the case with Advanced Warfare. The game started, I got a kill or two within 20 seconds, died within 30 seconds, respawned and did it all again. It actually took me completely by surprise as to just how much I got into the game as quickly as I did as I still found I pretty much hated the jumping mechanics AW introduced and yet I was good at it, I could get kills while running on a wall with relative ease then jump off and get another kill before I even landed then another two kills as I force powered my gravity spikes into the ground at the feet of some poor sods who didn't even see me above them. Now at Rank 54 I'm still enjoying it and playing it every other day to feed my quick fix mentality. It's not everyone's cup of tea admittedly and yes there's issues with spawning still and some very average maps but this will be the first time in CoD's long history I'm looking forward to purchasing the first DLC map pack in a few months time so it must be doing something right.

4: Grow Home

If you'd told me that Ubisoft and one time Driver developer Reflections were going to make one of my favourite games of the year that had an install size of just 900mb and was devised of a pissed up robot climbing odd looking plants that could grow exponentially to a floating island up in the sky in an attempt to get said robot back to his ship I'd have laughed in your face, but yet that's precisely what they did and boy did I love every minute of it. I still remember firing this up and trying to control my new robot friend B.U.D and my first impressions were nothing short of exhausting, what kind of fucked up control system is this!? It's bloody horrific I thought. Flash forward an hour or so and I was climbing my way to a flashing checkpoint I spotted on a floating island surrounded by the weirdest looking sheep you have ever seen. Then I located my very first shard which was hidden deep inside an odd looking cave upside down on the roof meaning I had to literally left trigger right trigger my way around the entire cave just to reach it. That's how you control his hands see, like suckers from the Mission Impossible movie. What captivated me first was the pure simplistic nature of the game world taking me back to all those minimal looking platformer games I so loved on the Playstation such as Croc and Spyro only now I was controlling a robot that runs around like it has just had 20 shots and now wanted an epic adventure. The world was beautiful and inviting and utterly fed my OCD as I attempted to locate every last one of those shards - yes even the ones at the top which were on rotating rocks. Grow Home was the game that reminded me in no uncertain terms that sometimes less can still be more.

3: Tales from the Borderlands

First off I should get it out of the way that before playing this I'd never played a single game by Telltale Games. Not one. The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead both never interested me so the very obvious reason I bought into this was its attachment to the Borderlands universe. What this game did was return my ever shrinking gaming mind set back to a time when I loved nothing more than to play adventure games more importantly point and click adventure games. I know it's hard to believe now but I was once a massive fan of games such as Broken Sword and loved nothing more than solving puzzles and unraveling mysteries surrounding interesting characters, characters with eccentric charm and life breathed into them. Characters you actually cared about. Only a few months ago did I play the very first episode of this and having never even read up on how the games actually played it blew my mind on so many levels. So absorbed was I that I completed the first three episodes one after another before finally retiring to bed. Playing this made me realise just how much I had openly ignored the kind of gaming experiences that once defined a massive portion of games I played and it never ceases to both surprise me and engage me in ways few other games can. It's practically become my defining oh man I wish I'd bought this so much sooner type game of probably the last few years and one that has made me fall in love with Borderlands in a way I never thought possible.

2: Dirt Rally

I've loved rally based gaming for as long as I can remember even back before I even owned my first PC and was shoveling hours and hours into V-Rally and Colin Mcrae Rally on the first Playstation, I was a sucker for punishment then and I still am now. The difference that a single second or even a portion of a second can make has never been highlighted as much as what it is in this and never in such a realistic fashion either. The game is brutal yes, for every track I've completed I've ended up stuck in a tree, drove off a mountain or wrecked my car so much I had to pull out of the race completely. No game has me me push myself to improve as much as this has since I first bought it where in my very first race I went off the track on my very first corner and it hit me that this wasn't anything like the Dirt games I'd played and very much mastered before it. This was almost real rally driving, something I thought I always wanted until it was presented in front of me and made me feel as if I just simply wasn't up to the challenge, I had to unlearn everything I had ever learned about rally games to even be in with a chance. So I did. Now I can blaze my way around a track in the rain like a man fucking possessed although I still have a long, long way to go still I'm more than prepared to put in the time and effort to get the most out of it. The fact that this was an early access game and has always run wonderfully and without technical issues should make other developers ashamed of their own shitty efforts. Rally based gaming has never been so real or so unforgiving.

1: Mad Max

Just Cause 2 was a very special game for me and has long been my ultimate open world gaming experience that I had always expected would be both bettered and replaced by Just Cause 3 when it released. However several months before that came to pass the developers of JC2 released Mad Max a game I simply didn't know what to expect from as not only was it being sold ridiculously cheap prior to launch which was the first worrying sign it was going to end up a disappointment but there was little to no fanfare surrounded its release from publishers WB. I had to constantly remind folk the game was even coming out as it crept closer to its release date, that's how piss poor the advertising campaign for the game was. I thought if anything it would be a fun third person action game with cars in an open wasteland and a combat system ripped directly from the Batman series of games. I started playing the game and on my very first session I played a solid 9 hours straight, I couldn't put it down. Yeah the combat was similar to Batman's but it was more brutal and less flashy and made you feel as if you didn't get your shit together fast you aren't going to last long as Max is just a man and not any kind of a superhero. I met Chumbucket and was given my first car and then the true nature of the game came into play, this wasn't a game where I was the star of the show, my crappy looking rust bucket car named the Magnum Opus was the real star I was just along for the ride. Soon it would become so much more as the car combat went from fairly simple to a true battle of wills as I pimped up my car more and more.

The game managed to perfectly capture the essence of the movies and the open world begged to be explored down to the very last inch as I discovered secret underground areas, chased down boxes filled with scrap in lightning storms, took down camps of enemies both up close and from a far and generally felt like I was living the role of a true road warrior. The game constantly added additional new layers that always helped keep things all the more interesting whether I was searching down Griff and upping my stats or collecting scrap to improve my ride or just cracking skulls or taking on an entire convoy of bad guys as they blew up and sailed over my head in a stunning ball of fire and car parts, the game never stopped giving something back for every hour I poured into it.

After finishing my fist play through at the 105 hour mark I'm now on my second play through and enjoying it every bit as much as I did the first time around. There's so much I missed out above of just why Mad Max both surprised me and engaged me so much for as long as it did as there's so much more to the game than just having scraps both on foot and in vehicles and completing endless wasteland missions. Even the story turned out to be much better than I initially anticipated it would be while still not being the greatest it was completely fitting.

The sad truth is that while the game sold respectfully enough for a brand new IP the future of Mad Max is somewhat hazy right now but I'm firmly of the mind that I want another outing from Avalanche Studios as it came across as a true labour of love for myself and for many others who enjoyed everything it had to offer. I don't give a damn right now I cant play Just Cause 3 and it's all thanks to owning and still thoroughly enjoying this game that made that possible and I'm still discovering things in the game world I never knew were there before. The game deserves far more recognition and even Eurogamer managed to completely ignore it in their top 50 games list of 2015 article which just blows my mind as it's right up there with Witcher 3 and MGSV in my eyes.

I am The Road Warrior and Mad Max is my game of the year by a country mile.
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:56 pm

Prey just fuck off. Fuck off now writing up mad max in a great way. I'll end up buying this and it'll be the same open world bollocks that I always detest after a few hours. God damn it!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Mad Max was a very pleasant surprise this year.

If it helps convince you either way, Jez, I would say it's the sort of game that if you love open-world titles generally you'll probably have an absolute blast with it. But, if you hate open world games, then it probably won't convince you to the contrary.
My face is tired.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:30 pm

Jez wrote:Prey just fuck off. Fuck off now writing up mad max in a great way. I'll end up buying this and it'll be the same open world bollocks that I always detest after a few hours. God damn it!

:lol:

You know you wants it Jez you Edwin. Must have its. Me Preycious.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks for making the rest of us look like chumps for having piddly little summaries. :x

Yeah, Mad Max is one I want to check out at some point. But have you seen the rest of the games in my backlog? I'm sorted for months on epic RPGs alone! :o
End of an Era

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Got to be a sale purchase then I reckon roll on Xmas sales I think with Mad Max and new tomb raider to look forward to.

Prey you better be right on this one :)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:50 pm

At the very least listen to the ever trust worthy Sly or read through some of the games 11k positive Steam reviews...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/23414 ... views_hash

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:26 pm

Jez wrote:Got to be a sale purchase then I reckon roll on Xmas sales I think with Mad Max and new tomb raider to look forward to.

Prey you better be right on this one :)

It's only £9 mate.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/mad-max-pc?mw_aref=dlc01
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Next

Return to General & Real World