"E" sports

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Jez

"E" sports

Postby Jez » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:45 pm

I've recently started playing counter strike global offensive again. I'm still rubbish but having fun and all that which says something for a concept that has barely changed in 15 years or whatever.

Anyways it caught my attention that the menu screen for the game now plays videos and coverage of gaming events like the current ESL One in cologne. I found myself watching some of these matches by following the link to the coverage from the menu screen. The games were thoroughly entertaining and really show what the standard of these teams are.

In any case I happened to glance at the spectator counter and I was blown away to see that 2.5 million people were watching it with me! That blew my mind a bit, had this thought that there would be a few thousand maybe 10000 watching...but 2.5 million! Sheesh.

It's almost at the level of prime time numbers on TV that.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: "E" sports

Postby Raid » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm not really an e-sports regular, but I've watched a few pro Starcraft games, and the people playing them are just inhumanly fast. There are fairly serious amounts of money being thrown around too; not quite premier-league footballer pay, but certainly several times my annual salary at a time.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:12 pm

I watch a fair bit of Dota 2 and yeah you would be surprised at how many people watch this stuff, especially the big tournaments. I find it is a lot more enjoyable if you play the games yourself, but I think there is still a base level of enjoyment you can get regardless.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:02 pm

Just had a facebook post (I think from PCGamer) about a CS:GO quad kill that stole a match at the last second so watched that and I've decided that having commentary is a good thing when you're never too sure what is happening or why people are doing a certain thing.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:59 pm

Yeah I saw that match and in fairness the commentators were really very good. Not just shouty gamer types but really wouldn't be out of place commentating on any sport.....there was even a woman gamer commentator!!

Was thinking about it and it seems to me to be quite a difficult thing to commentate on live, I mean it's 10 different perspectives (5 a side) and then knowing and choosing the ones to speak about to give a coherent picture of the match to the listener. The reporters were so good in some games that you could quite easily just listen to the report and get a really idea of the flowof each round.

Very professional presenting but then with order 2.5 million watching some quarter final I suppose it demands a professional approach. Wonder how many watched the final

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:07 pm

Street Fighter (and its ilk) is the king. Everything happens on one screen, the only way you miss something is blinking. Dota is decent in the client with all its camera options right enough. Starcraft and Hearthstone I do not get any of the appeal in watching, SC has too much crap going on and Hearthstone has too little. CS is better in highlights and gifs.

Wee shoutout to the little man that is Eve Onlines yearly AT which is great ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:45 am

It's not sport.

I've tried watching Dota a few times and as a non-player its completely indecipherable nonsense.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:54 am

Yes they are. If golf, darts, fishing, snooker etc.. can be considered sports they can too. It's a competition where a team of players try to best another team of players using strategy and skill to take home a prize - what else would you call it? It's dumb getting caught up in such semantics in the first place.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:57 am

I bet there is a wiki page on all the terminology used but best to watch a few guides about the game on youtube. It's easier if you have played a moba before as they all share the same mechanics to some extent as well.

But other sports and the casters talk a load of bollocks that makes no sense to me either :P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:54 pm

I don't know about dota or any of those but the coverage on CS was excellent maybe I just caught some good commentators but like I said I honestly could have listened to it on the radio and fully understood the game.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:58 pm

I'm with MM.

But then I would say those examples Evol listed are all borderline anyway.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:22 pm

Maybe they should call them E-Competitions instead then. Regardless of how you argue the semantics, it has a huge following across a large number of games and to deny the relevance of e-sports and the potential it has for future growth is just silly.

I only really watch leagues for the games that I play, so mostly Starcraft and HotS. I caught the big finals they had for Rocket League the other day though and found it way more entertaining than any real football match I've ever watched. That game has massive potential.

Medicine Man wrote:I've tried watching Dota a few times and as a non-player its completely indecipherable nonsense.

Your ability to decipher the meaning behind it doesn't really have any bearing of whether it could be considered a sport. I don't really have a clue how rugby works but I'd never call into question it's status as a sport, and I still enjoy watching regardless.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:32 pm

Putting aside the whole is it or isn't it a sport psstt it isn't. Dota streams to the uninitiated might as well be in another language which has a huge bearing on whether it draws a bigger audience or not. Any streams I have watched seem to be aimed strictly at existing dota players therefor end up being a complete turn off to the likes of myself. Whereas fighting games and Rocket League that you mentioned I believe can be enjoyed by anyone with little or no explanation required.

I don't deny it is becoming a massive draw or that it has great potential, but right now it's a massive draw to the existing choir they're preaching to. No one outside of the whole gaming clique gives a monkeys. I don't think calling it a sport is helping their cause and the whole 'E' part whilst being embarrassing in and of itself, just hammers the point home to people that are already not enamoured with the whole thing.

To truly grow into the mass audience it simply has to find a better moniker as glorified adolescents with the muscle definition of a 6 year old are not the image of sports stars that people have in their head.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Does it need a bigger audience?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:50 pm

It seems to want one, what with the whole ESPN push and huge prize pots to grab attention.

Next

Return to General & Real World