Vaping, then

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Tichinde

Re: Vaping, then

Postby Tichinde » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:37 am

The Rip Tippers videos? He's barmy, but he knows his stuff :)

Just bought my mate a subtank mini for Christmas so getting him onto the sub-ohm train :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:44 am

Snowy wrote:The kit is really nice.

Good good, just followed that link, surely you have most of that already as a PC enthusiast, let alone as a man :D

Just bought a RDA RBA RTA Coil Winding Jig Tool from Amazon.
Apparently easier than using the screwdriver that comes with the subtank.
Was tempted by a Kuro Concepts Koiler Coiler (what a name...) so that'll be next if I don't get on with the jig tool.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:07 am

Sods law I was enticed into using the 150W sub-ohm Sense Cyclone when I made the jump to the Vaporshark RDA200 earlier this year, and it doesn't support building your own decks. My lovely coil-kit and all the gubbins is now largely gathering dust save when I fire up the dripper. Thing is with the plume-output of the RDA, I seldom need to use the dripper!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:02 am

So then this whole sub ohm thing. Snowy what's the pros and cons of this compared to main stream vaping. Quite curious about it all.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Sub-ohm basically needs a higher power battery (15W and up, some go to 150W!) and a low resistance coil (less than 1 ohm).
For example, the iStick30W has a range of 10W to 30W. To even work a 1.2 ohm coil, it has to be set to 15W.
It's all basic electronics (and I've forgotten my GCSE Electronics).

The cons, it's a more expensive outlay.
The subtank mini is £20. This is a one time outlay (unless you break it).
A replacement pack of coil heads is about £10 for 5 (compare that to £3 for 5 for normal Clearomiser type atomsers which is the head and coils). This is only a con if you don't build your own coils.
The batterys capable of pushing the required wattage are normally in the £20-30 region (compared to £4 for an ego type battery).
Building your own coils is fiddly at first, but you get used to it.
You will go through more juice. It burns hotter and faster so a minor adjustment to your draw on the e-cig (and probably a drop in nicotine strength of the juice) is needed.

Pros, flavour and clouds. Stronger, and bigger respectively.
Layout the £50, buy some kanthol wire and some suitable organic cotton (£4) and build and wick your own coils.
My iSTick 30W has lasted longer than any other e-cig battery I've owned so that's covered itself already.
I've been building my own coils on the rebuildable deck since the two pre-built coils that come with the subtank burnt out so more savings there.
On building your own coils, you can customise the build for bigger clouds or better flavour depending on how close you build the coil to the airflow.

Some people don't like it and it is a suck it and see (ha ha!) thing.
I like the big clouds of vapour that it produces and the stronger flavour, far more satisfying than my old e-cigs.

Heeeeeeeey

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:19 pm

There is an additional layer of complexity - some mods allow you to use temperature control by virtue of using nickel or titanium coils, which lets your mod's circuit board regulate the highest temperature your coil will reach. Personally I avoid titanium coils, as titanium oxide is extremely hazardous to your health and while it should be perfectly safe to use titanium I don't want the risk, so stick to nickel. The benefit of temp control is that you get a consistent vape, with virtually no chance of the dreaded dry hit (when your juice can't keep up with your coil, the coil dries the wicking, and you get a lungful of burnt wick - not pleasant).

As Tichinde says, sub-ohm vaping is the way to go for both flavour and clouds, but it does put the price up. First you need the mod itself, where you can spend from about £70 to get a reasonable setup plus a tank that will support you - recommend a subtank or subtank mini to start. All that vapour of course comes from all that juice burning off, so expect to see your juice intake go through the roof. I average 30ml a week. If you plump for temp-controlled coils, the subtank's rebuildable deck will be a boon, otherwise you are looking at about £15 a pack of 5 (granted this will last you a good 2-3 months).

Finally, make sure you are buying VG-heavy high quality e-liquid - look for 70-80% VG content.

If you want to talk to someone in the know, look up VapeER on Facebook, my local vape shop, and PM them - they will give you all the info you could want, really nice helpful bunch and they do next-day mail order if you take the plunge.

Costs more, and your rig will get funny looks, but the plumes and flavour make up for it :)

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:30 pm

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:43 pm

So I bought a sub ohm set. Any tips Ian on using these that's different to the standard vape set mate?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:41 pm

What have you bought mate? List me out your luvly new gubbins :)

Oh, and are you (a) lung vaping (i.e. inhaling direct from the vape to the lung with no 'fill your mouth then inhale' like you do with cigs) and (b) causing colossal fucking plumes? :mrgreen:

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:02 pm

Yes all of that haha. It's wonderful.

I got an eLeaf 40 watt battery pack with an Aspire Clieto tank set.

Got 3 30 ml juices of varying flavours. All very nice.

Bought it all in a shop off the high street that's opened up. Good place and the staff seem to know their products. It's a nice clean well presented shop which is good cos most of these places I've been are crabby awful places with tattood 18 year old hoodie wearing horrors in them throughout

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:40 am

Yes, finding a nice vape shop is critical - seems most of them down here are the same, filled with drooling should-have-been-a-wanks, the type to whom consonants don't really feature in their speech.

My little vape shop is crewed by young'uns and also frequented by more than a few thickies, but the guys who run the place really know their onions, and all the staff friendly and helpful.

Looks like a nice little setup you have mate - does the Clieto support temperature control? If so that is my preference, using nickel coils with the temperature locked to 240 degrees Celcius, but it is personal preference only (and I tend to vape at 60 watts).

My current setup is a Vaporshark DNA200 using a Heracles RTA tank, as I enjoy building my own coils (have a nice little Coilmaster kit for just that purpose) - lets me build 0.1 Ohm twin coil decks. Looking online, the Clieto has an RTA option available, so that is something you might look at in the future. For now though, enjoy all that extra flavour and vapour :)

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:54 pm

Aye mate. It can get toasty alright. I believe this can do temp control thing might look into that. I'm glad I got it as I was starting to slip back into having the odd proper smoke here and there so this has helped by decreasing the nicotine further from 12 down to 6 but it's nice vape to make up for it.

Rebuilding your own coils eh? Sounds like a bit of a do there.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:09 pm

I have checked, your mod does support temp control.

Building your own coils is actually pretty easy, and oddly enjoyable too. I have bought a little toolkit which is handy but not essential, although the coiling kit that it comes with is damned handy for getting nice identical perfectly wound coils, important for multi-coil builds to ensure consistent temperatures across both and hence maximum plume :)

Dismantle the old coils (2 little allan bolts and just pull them off), wind your coil(s) - I use twin coils in the Heracles, bolt them into place and snip off the excess wire, dry fire them and give them a pinch to ensure that the coil is nice and tight, then add wicking, moisten with a drop of juice, and you are good to go. I can go from an old set of coils to a rebuilt deck and back vaping within 10 mins or so.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:35 am

Very nice mate. Next time I'm down in Hampshire on a course I might pop along to see this in action if you'd be up for it. I'm kind of a "see one -do one" learner.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:54 pm

Definitely mate - along with an obligatory few pints :)

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World