Vaping, then

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Vaping, then

Postby Snowy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:49 pm

Anyone else managed to give up the evil weed with these?

I have smoked since I was 13 (not something I am proud of but there we are) and tried every damned thing - patches, gum, inhalers, champix (thx NHS), hypnotism - various things have worked for varying durations, but my chronic lack of willpower as well as my enjoyment of smoking always lured me back.

A while back, about 18 months ago or more now, I decided to try e-cigarettes. Started off with the ones that look like smokes, but quickly got bored of those - the battery life was dismal, and the little 'filter' screw in refills are often duds and much too expensive.

A little shop opened nearby so I bought a kit, and now 18 months later have kicked the damned things for good I think (cigs, still vaping). I was offered a wee chug on a spliff a little while back, which used to be a weakness of mine, and handed it back after one puff as it tasted so rotten.

I am still a technogeek though, so the new developments in modding intrigue me. I have recently bought a new kit that allows me to build my own coils - a moneysaver and also a much nicer way to vape, knowing you have made your kit yourself, and the flavour from the juice is much nicer. Downside (or upside depending on perspective) is that it produces a tonne of vapour. Great for home or out in the open air, less so if you are in a pub or the like - you get some odd looks :D

So anyone else have any interest in it?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Tichinde

Re: Vaping, then

Postby Tichinde » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:31 pm

Yarr, been vaping for ages.

Had a couple of Itaze v2's, a v3, and now have a Spinner for my daily vape.

BTW: http://unionvape.co.uk/product/3-x-e-liquid-100ml-24mg/
Bargain value and good flavour too.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:33 pm

I've tried a few flavours of one that a friend has been puffing away on but found it to be a pretty weak substitute. If you don't get the same level of kick from them as a normal cig then I don't see the appeal of ever switching over. Even my friend still finds himself slipping back to buying real baccy every so often.

Aside from the unknown element of what potentially harmful substances might be in them I can see why they're a positive thing, if it helps people kick an addiction that they desperately want to drop.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:16 pm

There's 2 ratios for liquids.
One determines the cloud, the other the throat kick.

Can't remember which is which (might be P and V ratio) but if you like the kick there's no point going heavy cloud
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:48 pm

Fuck me snowy another thing we are peas in a pod about :) smoked for 20 years now and tried bloody everything Aside from the the more chemical methods like champix. I'm going to try that though at some point. I have a set of e cig's but I find them not quite the same as the real thing at all so I gave up on them some time back.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:48 pm

I've never smoked but I'm quite tempted to start vaping. The ads make it look so sexy and awesome.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:10 am

The kit I am using (my new build) is an IPV 2S battery pack and a Kangertech subtank. The subtank can use pre-built or rebuildable coils - I am making my own.

Jez and Mantis, you can get just the kick from an e-cig as a real one (obviously only my opinion - I was a Marlboro Light man, potentially if you love your Capstan Full Strength that may be a challenge).

The two elements to focus on are the nicotine strength and throat hit. Nicotine strength is pretty self explanatory, you can get juices from an upper level of around 24mg down to zero - I found 18 a good starting point myself.

Throat hit will depend on the 'carrier' you use (the main body of the juice, that has the flavourings and nicotine mixed in) - there are two main carriers for the juice, PG (propylene glycol) and VG (vegetable glycerin). Most juices tend to be a PG/VG mix, but if you are looking for throat hit ask for a PG-heavy juice - any decent shop will be happy to set you on the right track. For huge billowy clouds but with less hit, VG is the best.

Personally I went from a big throat hit in the outset and a punch of nicotine, 18mg PG juices, but as the time I have spent away from cigarettes has increased, I have dropped the nicotine level and gone more for vapour and flavour. My new kit is a real cloudchaser, and as you are getting so much more vape you need correspondingly less nicotine, so I am down to my all time low of 6mg now.

I tend to favour the sweeter juices, currently vaping Lighthouse Liquids (just moved from their Blueberries and custard to their Sugar cookie, custard and cinnamon flavours), although I am a big fan of Vampire Vapes 'Heisenberg'. The trick is finding a good all-day flavour, nothing too overpowering.

Oh, and avoid tobacco flavours, they are rancid :D

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:39 pm

I managed to quit smoking after almost 20 years with these. They're great. I use an Aspire tank with menthol liquid. Started on 3.2% or something and have gradually got it down to 1.2% strength. I've tried all the flavours, hundreds of combinations (mixing cola flavour with cherry or vanilla is nice) but menthol is the only one I can go back to again and again (although menthol cigarettes are pretty horrible I always thought). The only downside really is that I seem to use my e-cig a lot more than I smoked simply due to being able to use it in my office at work etc. I plan on eventually cutting it out completely but it's certainly done the trick so far.
Last edited by Wizard Of Odd on Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:55 pm

That was my complaint with them also WOO. Found it hardly ever out of my gob. I'd like to try them again though as I've noticed I'm now smoking near 20 a day these days and I'm 40 now so I'm pretty much putting my hand out for it really.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:17 pm

There is a key difference though Jez - you light a cigarette and you are committed to smoking it irrespective of when you might have had enough. You smoke it to the end as it costs so damned much :)

With an e-cig, you might only have a couple of tokes before you put it back in your pocket, so while it feels like you are using it much more, on aggregate you probably aren't.

When I was playing Elite at the weekend, I had my vaping rig sat between the parts of my X52, and when I jumped into hyperspace or was parked by a sun grabbing some fuel would pick it up, grab a lungful or two, then put it back down.

In the course of 90 minutes play I doubt I really smoked more than 1 cigarette worth.

Plus, gotta say, even if your intake goes mental, it is a small price to pay for the lowered costs, health benefits, lack of stinky clothing/self, restored sense of taste and smell etc...

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:02 pm

That's quite true. Might set a date for this Friday to drop the cigs and try out the old e-lites again .

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:17 am

I would bin those mate, get yourself a proper kit. The ones that look like cigs have a lousy battery life and the refills are empty in no time and too expensive to boot.

I would recommend the Evod starter kit, and grab yourself some juice and away you go.

I have given you some links there, but would actually recommend finding your local vaping shop and getting a walkthrough there. £35-40 should get you started (money you will soon make back in savings) although you might want to spend a little bit more and get yourself variable voltage battery packs, which will allow you to turn the wick up and get the vape that you want rather than what the battery will give you.

Also, tobacco juices are ranky, get yourself onto something nice :)

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:50 am

Innokin (although I've had three die on me), Vision (especially the spinner V2 that is my daily atm) and Kanger all all pretty good in terms of batteries.
Plus, they all share the same thread so you can transfer your atomiser/clearomiser between them should you buy a new battery.

Heeeeeeeey

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:14 am

So vaping.

I haven't smoked a proper ciggie in 4 weeks now. Went with a proper battery pack and glassomiser with some really nice liquids.

Delighted with it. Don't really miss real cigs at all now so that's a win.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:19 am

It's starting to kick in now!
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Next

Return to General & Real World