So what's everyone up to?

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Vidrageon

So what's everyone up to?

Postby Vidrageon » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:30 pm

Hello guys,

I thought it'd be nice with a catch-up thread....not that you don't have hang-out threads, I just generally meant a thread where we fill in each other on what's going on in the last few years.

Maybe it's just for me, and you've all been here for ages.

I'm currently in London doing a PhD at City University. My focus is on food security and developing nations, particularly India. I have lived in India for the last few years and recently moved back to Europe. As you guys know I used to live in York (i loved it so much when I visited way back when), then London.

I am now 26. I joined PW when I was (I hope I get this right, I got it wrong with Wolfy) 15. That's ridiculous. I have many fond memories of everything I've been doing or have done here on PW or with the PW crowd - things like Brothers of Metal (CS clan), the WoW guild in beta, trying to decipher wtf CTHTHON or whatever his name was was trying to say, the relentless bullying of Parvati...STORMLORD or STORMBRINGER or whatever he ended up naming himself (I don't even remember his name to begin with).

So I was wondering what everybody here was up to! It's been long enough. Have there been more meet-ups? I am game for a London meet-up if there is enough interest.

Also my memory isn't as good as I'd like to think it is so I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I've missed!

Anyway, so how you doin?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Re: So what's everyone up to?

Postby Raid » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:44 pm

I did see your name in the 'online users' bit a few minutes ago and thought you were just stalking us.

I'm 29 in a couple of weeks, am currently living in Lancaster, have largely moved back to PC gaming this year (after not really having a gaming PC since the 360 came out), and am stuck in a crappy but stable job that I just cannot get out of. This post constitutes the nearest I'll ever come to writing a blog thread.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:13 am

Hello matey. :)
Boring here compared to some, getting ready for tinsel-time ofc (don't say the C-Word), 51 years-young this month, enjoying my first grandchild and fairly good health.
So in a nutshell, all is good.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:18 am

Hi Viddy xxx

I put up my Christmas tree yesterday. And I had a poo.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Vidrageon

Postby Vidrageon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:31 am

Raid wrote:I did see your name in the 'online users' bit a few minutes ago and thought you were just stalking us.

I'm 29 in a couple of weeks, am currently living in Lancaster, have largely moved back to PC gaming this year (after not really having a gaming PC since the 360 came out), and am stuck in a crappy but stable job that I just cannot get out of. This post constitutes the nearest I'll ever come to writing a blog thread.

Yeah I've also moved back into PC gaming after a long time without. Mainly because I was on a mac, but it worked out fairly well. Now I play CSGO when I get the chance.

At least you have a job in the current market. It's been a rough few years for a lot of people.

Dr@gon-UK wrote:51 years-young this month, enjoying my first grandchild and fairly good health.
So in a nutshell, all is good.

Happy birthday soon! Congratulations on the grandchild, that's awesome.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:33 am

I'm now 28, have just started writing for a gaming/comics/films website (unpaid obviously), am almost at the end of my Open University Psychology Degree and have been helping out at the school I work at (woo IT Support...) with some discussion groups and other clubs and am hoping that if I act like a teacher everyone will just assume I am one ¬_¬
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:57 am

Vidrageon wrote:At least you have a job in the current market. It's been a rough few years for a lot of people.

Yeah, I'm not forgetting that bit, and I am grateful to have a stable (for now at least; I work in retail banking, a sector that's rapidly diminishing) job with an income that lets me live comfortably. At some point though, you have to be concerned for yourself. I was unemployed for 18 months before getting this, that was undoubtedly the most awful part of my life thus far. My problem is that I feel stuck; every job outside of the customer service sector I've applied for has rejected me saying that I need more experience - I can't get this experience until I get a job that gives it. I can't get out of the field I'm in, and I'm never going to be happy until I do.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:04 am

I'm currently working a dead end job in government in London which is slightly soul destroying, but has great holidays. I am at a stage in my life where I should really be considering what I am going to do job wise for the future, but I don't have any clear idea.

I've just started to do a bit of game development which helps pass the time at work as I can work on my art there. I hope to have my first short game out by Christmas, but it might be a bit delayed as I was supposed to get the music and UI done this weekend, but I have been suffering from the flu.

I've recently moved into a new flat and my wife talked me into getting a kitten, who is currently sitting at the end of my bed watching me as I type this.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:53 pm

I'm a freelance journo for a living, but in recent years the work has pretty much just been corporate stuff, not terribly interesting or fulfilling but it pays the bills. And at least it means being able to work from home, spending more time with the family, which is nice.

Since the summer I've also been working on a book, roughly halfway done now. Hoping it will take a year or less all told.
Last edited by Sly Boots on Tue May 05, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:18 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Since the summer I've also been working on a book, roughly halfway done now. Hoping it will take a year or less all told.
Cool. Is it a fantasy sex romp?

I've always felt I had a good book in me but I've never put the effort in. Like many people I guess.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:22 pm

katarn wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:Since the summer I've also been working on a book, roughly halfway done now. Hoping it will take a year or less all told.
Cool. Is it a fantasy sex romp?

I've always felt I had a good book in me but I've never put the effort in. Like many people I guess.

Well you're half right, so sex romp it is! :lol:

To be honest, it's something I've wanted to do since I was a teenager, and have a couple of abandoned efforts under my belt from down the years, so I just decided to get my shit together and at least be able to say that I'd done it.
My face is tired.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Mostly I'm blocking attempts at obtaining a pet by the wife.
6 months into my new job, and despite going back to the company I left (for a variety of reasons) it's pretty damn good. I'm doing stuff I enjoy again.
It has caused me to generate 49 hours of overtime in the last 2 weeks, but then I'll get that right before Christmas :)

Considering moving house, desperately trying to complete my game back catalog, debating on a new car, planning on getting back to ju-jitsu this weekend, refusing to reduce my alcohol intake, refusing to pledge any more money to CIG for Star Citizen, and generally being my usual non-stressed self.

Raid, would it be feasible to take a pay cut to move into a junior position for a year or two, maybe even at another company?
It's often the only way out of CS I've seen without going up the management route (it's how I got out off the Helpdesk back in the day).
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:12 pm

Tichinde wrote:Raid, would it be feasible to take a pay cut to move into a junior position for a year or two, maybe even at another company?
It's often the only way out of CS I've seen without going up the management route (it's how I got out off the Helpdesk back in the day).

Pay is by far the largest reason I'm unhappy where I am; I feel I'm capable of earning £5-10k more than I currently do. I actually did take a decrease in grade a few years ago, and it made things better, but went back up to my starting grade at the beginning of 2014. I have effectively gone from cashier to running a small branch in the space of six months, and in the summer they told me that they wanted me for a fairly senior position in my home branch (rather than the sub branch I've been running for the last four weeks), away from customers for at least 60% of the time. You'd think that would be a solution, but it comes with no pay rise despite a massive step up in responsibility, and I lose a lot of the perks that have really helped my depression issues this last year (no saturdays, shorter opening hours etc.).

Honestly, the problem is not the job, it's me. There are plenty of roles I can go into from where I am, but they all have major drawbacks. I've never been comfortable with selling, management would force significant pressure on me from above, and everything else would require moving to another part of the country, uprooting myself and my partner. I'm 30 at the end of next year, and I've sort of set a target of being out of here by then. I set this target two years ago, and I've not made any progress. There's one major employer a few towns over that I've been desperate to get into; I've even had help from one of their hiring managers, but they're contracted to use an appalling employment firm and every single job I go for (despite being told by the hiring manager that it'd be very suitable for me) ends up with me receiving an e-mail using the same "other candidates have more demonstrable experience" line.

Urgh, sorry, I'm ranting now.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:37 pm

What ho, Viddeh.

This place has been the same for so many years now, I sometimes forget that I've been here for a decade and that such a huge host of characters have long since come and gone. I was only 14 when I signed up here! Christ...

Well, I'm 25 now. Recruited in January by a secretive government organisation and have been doing that since, which I equal parts love and hate. The job itself is great fun, but being a civil servant is an administrative nightmare a lot of the time. It's good pay though and finally allowed me to get away from home and rent a nice little flat in the city centre. I finished uni in 2012 and spent around 7 miserable months unemployed before going back to work at a bookies, something I did part time prior to and throughout my entire university life and which I swore I'd never do again because I loathed it. Landing the job I'm in now was a bit of a freak occurrence but it didn't half lift my spirits for the last two months at the bookies knowing that I'd be handing in my resignation in the new year.

I still play games, though not half as much as I used to. Most of the time when I get home from work I'm not really in the mood for sitting at the computer even more than I already have, so I tend to just stick some music on and widdle away at guitar most evenings. Didn't stop me blowing a grand on a gaming PC last summer though which has hardly seen much use.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:18 pm

Still playing games, getting grumpier as the years go on and that's about it for me :lol:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Next

Return to General & Real World