Amusing News Stories #3

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Edwin
the cunt

Re: Amusing News Stories #3

Postby Edwin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:05 pm

Ed Milliband is now a stockphoto
http://news.sky.com/story/ed-miliband-p ... e-10702462

Almost feel sorry for him, stockphoto people don't even get paid.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:18 pm

The level of irony to this story is so high I think it actually broke Earth's orbit

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 76356.html

seriously this has to be a joke
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Wargame: European Escalation / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Good fortune is often wasted, sadly. I think I'd be an awesome lottery winner. New house. Gift some to family. Nice holiday. Let the wife give up work. Invest the rest for kids and retirement. Continue as you were.
My face is tired.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:14 pm

no it is the sense that money made her depressed, so she is sueing for more money

=D> ](*,) :-({|= :-s (all at the same time)
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Wargame: European Escalation / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:no it is the sense that money made her depressed, so she is sueing for more money

=D> ](*,) :-({|= :-s (all at the same time)

Yes, I did get that. I'm just addressing her claim that the lottery win made her life worse. It's not the first time someone has said that, I think the famed lottery lout who bought a castle and built an off-road track in his garden to annoy his neighbours recently said the same.

She's clearly as thick as a stump and unable to see the irony of what she's doing, I just think it's a crying shame that this kind of money so often goes to people who don't appreciate it when for a lot of people who'd use it sensibly it would be if not life-changing then considerably life-enhancing.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:21 pm

This is a spoof article right? She is just too thick.

Ah well.
"I have material things but apart from that my life is empty. What is my purpose in life?"
At least she's getting that crisis out of the way nice and early.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:15 pm

A million quid. Yeah that's a lot of money and reasonably life changing. If she'd have won 60 odd million or some other ridiculous amount then I could sort of see her point about being depressed. That would be really life changing.

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:27 am

Sly Boots wrote:Good fortune is often wasted, sadly. I think I'd be an awesome lottery winner. New house. Gift some to family. Nice holiday. Let the wife give up work. Invest the rest for kids and retirement. Continue as you were.

Yep and keep the anonymity if you want to be left in peace and treated just the same way. I think we all would do that but then we are a sane bunch I reckon :mrgreen:

Only thing I got from it is she's looking for more money now. She must have blown the winning's away and listened to some scummy lawyer/family member etc about getting another windfall for this.

Jez that would be a bit of issue if they just dumped you with the cash and left you to it but it seems you do get a lot of help in dealing with it, after winning.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:56 am

she is young and naive. If I won a £1M I know exactly what to do. Pay off the mortgage and put the rest in index bonds and enjoy life.
If anyone has an ISA I recommend dumping your bank ISA which is the worst investment to be in and change it to a Vanguard index bond with Hargreaves Lansdown. Making 14% per annum.

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:she is young and naive. If I won a £1M I know exactly what to do. Pay off the mortgage and put the rest in index bonds and enjoy life.
If anyone has an ISA I recommend dumping your bank ISA which is the worst investment to be in and change it to a Vanguard index bond with Hargreaves Lansdown. Making 14% per annum.

What sort of risk is attached to that mate? That's a stonking rate.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:she is young and naive. If I won a £1M I know exactly what to do. Pay off the mortgage and put the rest in index bonds and enjoy life.

It must be interesting to live a life having known very little of financial responsibilities. I don't have any trouble paying our mortgage given my relatively stable (if thoroughly uninteresting) job, but not having to pay towards it would double my disposable income, and would likely make my job more satisfying because of that.

Suing the lottery is patently absurd, obviously, but I can sorta see where she's coming from. Being given a huge amount of money without the respect such a sum deserves is going to cause problems, though I suspect she simply ignored all offers of advice (I can imaging the lottery itself offering such advice, or at least recommendations on where to get it) and blew the lot on fun stuff. Still, it's not as if she's too old to change; hell, if those two properties she owns are in Edinburgh, she could still form an income from renting one out.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:26 pm

It says in the article that Camelot offer extensive financial advice and support for as long as the winner wants it. They even put her in touch with someone a similar age to her who also won a large jackpot so that she could get a feel for how it changes your life.

It takes a serious lack of imagination and personality to not know how to best spend £1m to greatly enhance your life, hell £250,000 would be enough for me. It seems all she did was ignore the offers of advice and then wasted it all on junk material possessions and now she's miserable.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Don't most lottery runners give out the money in yearly sums (like a wage) rather than all in one go? Basically to prevent idiots pissing it all away, like this girl.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:50 pm

Jez wrote:

What sort of risk is attached to that mate? That's a stonking rate.

Read this. It will change your life. It did me. It's only 200 pages. The secret is index bonds. Mutual fund advisors and financial advisors HATE index bonds because it essentially does them out of a job. Index bonds are some of the safest investments and have some of the highest returns.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Millionaire-Te ... re+teacher

This sums it up perfectly

This proof the pudding. This is my actual saving rate !. I also have an SIPP with Vanguard index bonds. I pass adverts for bank ISA returns and laugh. Read the book and then talk to Hargreaves. Their fees is base 0.3%, which is reasonable

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:07 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World