Podcasts!

Exciting adventures in meat space.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Podcasts!

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:11 am

Listened to the first few GOTY podcasts from Giantbomb, on the whole they have been ok. I think what I usually find frustrating with these is not necessarily their decisions, but the reasons they gave for their decisions.

Take for instance their most disappointing game. They gave it to Watch_Dogs because some of them felt that it was going to usher in the next generation and was going to be something unique and different and it turned out not to be these things. But at the same time they talk about how their expectations had become tempered a bit by the delay that saw it pushed into 2014 so they had fears that it might turn out to not be great. Destiny on the other hand they describe as the game that should have been the game of the year, that looked like it was going to be great right up to launch, but wasn't. To me using those arguments Destiny must be the bigger disappointment of the two.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:21 am

Spoilers!!1!

I get annoyed with all the Watchdogs hate because it wasnt a bad game and it wasnt wholly unoriginal. The whole hacking system was new and it was a decent game. It wasn't mind blowing and the story/charcaters were fuuuucking bad but the game itself was pretty enjoyable. I'd sooner go back to it than Destiny.

I actually put destiny on yesterday and fell asleep playing it :lol: In the strike playlist too..... the other guys must have been pissed off. Its such a dull game!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:13 pm

You already mentioned who won most disappointing :)

Eugh episode three where Jeff rags on the Wii U, what a douche. Also I feel the joke about them ignoring the PC actually rings a lot truer than they care to admit.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Just got the last episode to go, but so far so meh. It's all a bit what Gerstmann wants Gerstmann gets so far.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 pm

Some of the arguments being made for Destiny to make it on the Giantbomb top ten are so stupid.

EDIT: And a game that everybody hates except Brad makes it on to the list. Can't quite understand how that can happen.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:27 pm

I agree with what you posted eariler eVol, was gutted to see Destiny get the nod over Divinity. I also didn't like how they discarded Dark Souls II because it wasn't as good as the original. Considering that the original is one of the best games ever made I don't think that is exactly something you can hold against it. It easily merited more consideration for the top ten.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:15 pm

Ooh, Hil Goldstein has a new podcast
http://www.dogandthimble.com/
Its about board games. Not listened yet but quite looking forward to it. The Three Red Lights podcast was my favourite podcast mainly because of him. It was wet your pants funny, especially the special guest eps (Don King, 50 Cent etc..) so of this is even a fraction as fun it'll be great.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Just discovered Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. My word, I love this podcast. Currently he's in the middle of doing a WW1 series, but he's done the Mongol's before that. Each episode is 2+ hours and he does 5 or 6 in each series. Great if you like something in the background whilst you're playing or have a long commute. Highly recommended.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Sigur Ros wrote:Just discovered Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. My word, I love this podcast. Currently he's in the middle of doing a WW1 series, but he's done the Mongol's before that. Each episode is 2+ hours and he does 5 or 6 in each series. Great if you like something in the background whilst you're playing or have a long commute. Highly recommended.

I listened to the first 3 of those, very interesting alright. He takes his time and goes into some great detail, at 3 hours each and 4 episodes its a bit of a commitment though.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:23 am

eVoL wrote:Ooh, Hil Goldstein has a new podcast
http://www.dogandthimble.com/
Its about board games. Not listened yet but quite looking forward to it. The Three Red Lights podcast was my favourite podcast mainly because of him. It was wet your pants funny, especially the special guest eps (Don King, 50 Cent etc..) so of this is even a fraction as fun it'll be great.

Will give a listen tonight eVoL, thanks! :)

NG

Postby NG » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:19 pm

http://paulkirtley.co.uk/Topics/pkpodcast/

Only five podcasts so far, not released on a regular basis, but have discussed things such as kayaking, survivial psychology, navigation etc
if you have in an interest in the outdoors.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:25 pm

This was surprisingly touching even to an emotionless husk like myself.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:56 am

Nooooooooooooooooo!

Gamewank is officially done.

One final episode to come :(

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:05 am

The Giantbeastcast, a new podcast from Vinnie and Alex isn't bad. The first time I've laughed at a podcast from Giantbomb in a while.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:09 am

Alex's obvious delayed punchline getting and then repeating that punch line once or twice is really annoying.

edit: oh and "Kinda Funny" Gamescast is up on itunes now. Its basically Podcast Beyond except with that Tim bloke that's an irritating nobend. Its not bad, they(except Tim) are really quite a decent listen with thoughtful points. Sometimes Colin gets carried away and slips into this weird arrogance but on whole its good... if you liked Beyond.

Its a bit weird, in general Greg is labelled as the loud attention seeker but its the parts when its not any of that that they are at their best which is something the guys that took over Podcast Beyond didnt get and they just try to be shouty and boisterous constantly and its really fucking annoying. IGN used to have some of the best casts (TRL, Beyond, Scoop and NVC were all great) but now theyve turned to pish because the new staff are all just wankers with the exception of Jared and Peer but even when they are on podcasts theyre still dragged down by the rest of the morons.

On the newest ep of Kinda Funny games one of their patreons was on because he had payed for a high enough tier. I was curious so I checked their page. You know how much he payed to go on their podcast for an hour? Two THOUSAND fucking dollars!

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World