Podcasts!

Exciting adventures in meat space.
eVoL

Podcasts!

Postby eVoL » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:54 pm

The old recommend a podcast thread inst showing on searches so, whatjall listen too? Mostly I seem to have loads of gaming ones but I'd quite like something sciency that isnt completely aimed at dullards. 5Live has a show I sometimes catch at around 3am where people ask someone sciency about their field of expertise and they get pretty hardcore with the science and I love that.... never been able to find the show though, much less if theirs a podcast of it.

I'm after anything thats entertaining really. Good dogwalking earfillers.

For me...

LIKE (Recommended)

Kermode and Mayo Film Review
Hes gotten better at not spoiling shit in the last year! Almost stopped listening a whole back because of how spoilery he got. Theres also no other decent film review podcast I've managed to find.

Gamewank
SO slow at releasing new episodes but if you havent listened go back as far as you can and listen from there (I think the start of Season 2 is on itunes). It doesnt matter if its old news, they are constantly hilarious. Its like Consolevania the podcast (and they show up from time to time). Lots of pottymouth schoolyard humour but genuinely balanced, thoughtful reviews and gametalk. Every show is a special wee event.

The Comedy Button
Basically a bunch of assholes being assholes, but they are often quite hilarious. Mostly ex IGN folk so a lot of game centric stuff but just a general talk bullshit podcast. A good mix of brash tasteless jokes with a bit of soul that makes you really like them as people. Also the best in podcast adverts :lol:

One More Go
Once or twice a month they pick two old games and talk in detail about them. Sharing the love of them and talking about their history. Really good and not at all like the fucking awful Cane & Rinse podcast (ie, the OMG guys actually know what they are talking about rather than just Wiking shit like C&R guys seem to do) so dont let the similar format put you off.

Podcast Beyond
Loud and american but refreshingly non-cynical (mostly) and good fun. So many podcasts are just people moaning and bitching and you dont get that here. Colin and Greg are a great contrast/balance.

Knocking Boots
IGN guys giving relationship advice. Its finished now but if you didnt listen to it its worth going back. A lot of pretty damn funny moments.

....and if you play Eve Fly Reckless and Crossing Zebras are the only two left that are worth a damn.

NOT TOO BAD (if you have time to fill you can do worse)

Giant Bombcast
If you want to be hypnotised by a drone of voices for over 2 hours this is for you. They make good points and are sometimes funny but they take the whole deadpan thing far too far and just.... drrrrrrone in monotone. I often find myself not listening to what they are saying because my brain starts filtering it out.

Rebel FM
This would be a great podcast if it wasnt for Aurthur Gies, that man is a cynical horrible poison. I cant stand him, especially with how he tends to mentally overpower one or two of the other guys. They'll come in with a point of view and he'll tell them they are wrong (which they werent) and manipulate them into siding with him. Its horrible and I feel really sorry for them because everyone else on it is great.

Chet and Jons Reassuringly Finite Gaming Playlist
They each talk about the 10 games theyve been playing but it usually boils down to them judging games theyve played for literally seconds just to get the number up to 10 and thats hella annoying. Also Jon(I think, I get them mixed up) has a tendency to vehemently judge a game after a few seconds of play, completely unjustly and half the time he'll come back a few weeks later and go "oh I was wrong". If they cut it down to 5 games and actually spend time with them this could be good.

Podcast Unlocked, Game Scoop, Nintendo Voice Chat, Joystiq, and Touch Music (iOS music app podcast) are all pretty unremarkable standard fares too. Gamescoop used to be good till they changed to this weird episodic format thats just horrible and lacks all the chemistry the old one had.

PRETTY DAMN BAD (ie avoid!)

Cane And Rinse
Clueless retards waxing on about games like they are an authority on them even though people who know shit about these games can see through the drivel they spout. I think this may have been the only podcast to ever make me shout at my iPhone (Castlevania episode). Maybe they got better later but I'll never try them again.

Sarcastic Gamer
They used to be good when Dave was there, not great but good. Now its Lono and Doc and while Doc seems like a nice level headed guy he lets himself get influenced by Lono so much.... and Lono is another one of those rant without knowing the whole story guys. They also dont fucking know what sarcasm is because they're American! Dave kind of had a mild grasp of it at times but Lono thinks its shouting. The last ep I listened to was Lono trying to sound like a big hero for shouting at a traffic wardern who was giving him a ticket for being stopped illegally which just showed him more as a hateful dick.

Weekend Confirmed
Someone recommended this a few weeks back and....
1. The WORST in podcast advertising ever. They record their own spots for Gamefly and they grate and pummel your ears with cringing horrors.
2. Garnet Lee. Why is he still hosting a show? Do people like him? He was the worst thing on 1up and now he's here! He's another one of those talk for ages about things he has no idea about like hes an authority on them (last week for example, he was going on about how 720p upscalled to 1080p is the same as pure 1080p because the end signal is still 1080p!).
The rest of the guys are like mini Garnets, not as bad but its like his cancer has infected them too and they are slowly becoming him. The best word to describe this podcast is smarmy. Its just annoying in this drilling torturous exhausting way.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

JohnyHumf

Re: Podcasts!

Postby JohnyHumf » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Haven't listened to a podcast for years, soooo 2007. ¬_¬

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Try Gamewank, you of all people will love it ;)

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:05 pm

Gamewank is going straight onto my "to-listen" list. I now associate Glasgow accents with all game related stuff.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:13 pm

I listen to a lot of podcasts at the work and I can never get enough of them. Mostly shitey game stuff, but it passes the time.

Thanks for the recommendations eVoL. I shall be giving a few of them a blast over the next few weeks. Your write ups helped, but mainly the fact that your thoughts mostly aligned with my own. Yay for confirmation bias! :D

Game Stuff

One Life Left
Nice and quick at an hour. Doesn't over stay it's welcome or take itself too seriously, occassionally raises a titter.

3 Moves Ahead
Strategy gaming podcast, covers everything from Civ to the deepest darkest Russian turn based number. Plus some board gaming too. The typical American wanks are kept to a minimum in general. I only find myself switching it off on the odd occassion

Idle Thumbs
Probably a pretty Marmite podcast. Rammed full of in-jokes and in-depth discussion. Guilty of descending into nonsense more often than not, but again it keeps things relatively short.

A Life Well Wasted
Probably not frequent enough to warrant a recommendation, but when a new episode hits it's a magical treat. Stories from gaming culture in the style of This American Life.

Non-Gaming Stuff

StarTalk
Generally questions and answers on space and physics with the big man, Neil deGrasse Tyson. A bit heavy on the ads, but bearable.

The Moth
Short, storytelling podcast. Personal stories told live without notes on a set theme. Can have you laughing one week, fascinated the next and then bubbling away like a wee lassie the week after that.

This American Life
Radio show with a variety of stories based on a theme. Mostly true stuff from real people. Pretty much like a long-form episode of the Moth with added journalism. Or maybe The Moth's a short form version of this, either way its all good stuff

RadioLab
Basically a science-y American Life.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:08 pm

eVoL wrote:Try Gamewank, you of all people will love it ;)

They've got a fat bearded guy, how relatable! :P

NG

Postby NG » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Games
Epic Battle Axe
Epic Battle Cry http://epicbattleaxe.com
Podtoid http://www.destructoid.com ( Most of the show is about Jim Sterlings sexual fantasies of Jonathan Holmes, they do talk about games, but not as much as I'd like.)

Comics
Comics Conspiracy http://www.conspiratorbrock.com or http://www.geekbox.net/archives/categor ... conspiracy
Infinite Longbox http://infinitelongbox.libsyn.com

[Dota]
Dota Insight http://www.dotainsight.com

[Pub Trivia]
Good Job, Brain! http://goodjobbrain.com

[Misc]
Geekbox http://www.geekbox.net/archives/categor ... box-radio/

Zael

Postby Zael » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Seconding Idle Thumbs. My favourite game podcast by a huge margin. I'd also recommend Hardcore History for some interesting/fun historical stories.
http://gameviewsonline.blogspot.com

A blog about games - Now with increased vigor!

Updates every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:57 pm

Giving the ones I havent tried yet a spin. Not the video ones though, that defeats the purpose ;)

Just listened to Rhod Gilbert's Best Bits and although no where near as good I did get a similar vibe as the Adam And Joe podcast (so sorely missed :( FU Edith) and I do like Rhod. Just lunatic nonsense which is great. That ep I just listened to was 30mins of talking about what noise a toaster makes :lol:

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:24 pm

I listen to too many.

For film I recommend /film cast aka slashfilmcast and film spotting. Of the 2 /film cast is more fun

I stopped listening to mark kermode when one show he and Mayo spent more time talking about themselves than film. And all mayo does is read listeners emails - fuck me can I have six figure job reading emails. "Lee from Manchester said he liked the film because it made him remember his childhood and the first time he kissed a girl". Really Mayo how fucking interesting, please read me another anecdote.

For games I listen to gamers with jobs and that uk one on news that currently escapes me (writing this on ipad on the move). I also stopped weekend confirmed for 4 reasons. Garnett Lee, the fucking aweful Canatta, it's a 2 hour show (that is far tooooo long) and they think they are so fucking important. Most of the games media is aweful with seriously bad egotistic personalities and these guys are typical of why I dislike them so much.

Epic battle cry and invisible walls are pretty good. Marcus Beer really needs to chill out a tad. He is not representing us Brits in a good light.

For tech I listen to pcpro

For politics the guardian podcast and the telegraph podcast

Radio 4 documentary of the week is also good.

For fun anything by Scott Johnson. I love this guy. The morning stream and the final score and filmsack is podcast genius.

I will give one more go and this American life a go
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:58 am

Only listen to gaming podcasts these days with one Leeds United podcast and one MMA podcast.

Giant Bomb

Obviously love this podcast. Nice mixture between joking around and good gaming talk. Can go on a bit, and I think they'd do better if they focus a bit and come in the hour and a half mark instead of letting it drag. Definitely missing Ryan Davies, he seemed to bring it all together but the latest one with Vinny as the host was a delight. I think that Vinny hosting would suit it better as he didn't let conversation drag on too much and is pretty hilarious. I also listen to Patrick and Alex's Bombin' in the AM which focuses more on games news.

Joypod

You have two main hosts who are completely different in every way which leads to amusing discussions mainly focused on console games. Similar to Giant Bomb in the way that they handle talking about games. Another one that doesn't go too deep into games, nor into messing around but strikes a good balance. They recently had Adam Capone (the guy behind the spoof peter molynuex twitter account) who was pretty hilarious and is a previous guest. Not for every body but i've been listening to them for years. It's coming to an end in December so maybe not worth it these days.

Watch out for Fireballs

Two lads who go back and discuss (in depth) about classic videogames. They did a 5 hour podcast on FF7 and have just finished Bioshock. They release every two-four weeks and if it's a big game they'll take a whole month to discuss it. They also have an "extra"-sode where they gather feedback from their fans and add that in as well. One of my favourites. They also had Ron Gilbert on recently to discuss Monkey Island. WOULD recommend.

Destructoids Podcast

Funnily enough, has nothing to do with games as Jim Sterling seems to like to talk about dicks more than anything. Purely listen to this for the ramblings of Jim and his crude jokes. No real gaming content at all.

Polaris - Co-optional podcast

Quite good podcast featuring three main hosts (TotalBiscuit, Dodger, and JesseCox) and a guest. All YouTubers so if you're into watching gaming content on Youtube this one is for you. 3 hours a piece.
Last edited by Scrappy on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Listened to One Life Left and Idle Thumbs. OLL really needs to cut the horrible "sketches" but other than that its decent mostly. Idle Thumbs on the other hand yabbered away for 20mins on Neptunes Pride, then another 15 about being a chicken - its was great! :lol:

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:15 pm

I only really listen to The Giantbombcast and I agree that without Ryan they spend far too much time talking about their personal lives rather than what they have actually been playing. I agree that Vinny made a good job of hosting last week, but I feel that they need someone else, specifically someone with more of a PC bent, maybe Jeff Green as he is currently looking for a new job? :)

On the subject of Jeff Green, anyone who missed them the first time around should check out the GFW Radio podcasts. Still the best and funniest podcasts I have ever listened to. You can find most of them here. Or you can grab the whole set off your favourite Torrent site.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Jeff Green everywhere! Good podcast week :)

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Those wondering who he is I think this clears it up :

Next

Return to General & Real World