The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Normal Edition

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Tank

Re: The 'I Just Bought Thread' - Normal Edition

Postby Tank » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:41 am

eVoL wrote:Man Tank, I just looked at the prices for Indy and I'm feeling better about my Rift preorder now! Cheers! :mrgreen:

Your welcome mate! Out of curiosity what prices did you encounter?
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:48 am

$280 I think it was.

Scary thing is I know it wouldnt take much for me to get lost in buying the bloody things too when I see some figures for the stuff thats more in my wheelhouse. Im content with my Baby Sinclair for now.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Tank

Postby Tank » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:22 pm

That's actually fairly cheap. They usually go for about £300/£400 in the UK.

I paid just over £160 from a chap in France. That included the shipping as well. I think a lot of people assume I spend mental money on these things but I really don't. I only spend what I can afford and generally speaking I do a lot of negotiating before I decide to purchase.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:47 pm

So I just got an S7 Edge which came with a free GearVR. My 5s is dying and I'm not keen on what Apple have done with the 6 series so I thought fook it, I'll give droid a spin. Its only a tenner a month more than my rolling plan was anyway though not sure I'll keep it just yet. Android always feels like a truck on fire barrelling towards disaster.

So... the phone! See that Edge thing? The single most pointless feature to anything ever. It doesnt curve enough to give you any more info if youre looking at it from the side, it warps the edges of the screen as it wraps round and its "edge menu" feature is just a side menu you get from swiping in from the side.... yeah, couldn't do that on a flat phone! Utterly pointless and Id probably immediately swap it for an S7 if it wasn't for the extra big battery in the thing. Beyond that theres not a whole lot to say really, feels well built, screen is lovely (except the fecking edges!). The camera us excellent and does have great low light results as claimed. The rest is just a well built Droid phone. With a stupid screen. Aesthetics over function. We will look back and laugh at this in several years.
I mean look at it! How dumb is that? Warp the text round the side, what morons designed that!? :lol:

Gear VR then....
I couldnt get the thing to focus at all, for ages I was twiddling with the dial and reseating the phone. Turns out theres an almost undocumented slider you have to press under the dock port to slide it back a little if youre using a different sized phone. After that little oopsy was fixed, pretty damn impressed! I was fairly impressed with cardboard but this is certainly a massive step up. Tracking is impeccable, I couldnt trip it up no matter how fast I moved and the feeling of presence is another level from cardboard. I was skeptical about the price of it being worth it but it really is if you have a compatible phone already.

Eve Gunjack. I paused a bit on the 8quid price tag for what it is but man its worth it. Just the opening sequence to the level where your chap is readying the turret is worth it and gave me a massive grin. Its simple, but effective. The gameplay is your head is a turret, shoot stuff. Its not deep but it is a lot of fun, especially seeing the different Eve ships crop up. I was thinking I should maybe be sensible and cancel my Rift preorder but this has made me want it even more. Cant wait to play Valkyrie!

AltspaceVR is frightening. No its not a horror game but a social game. I went into a room, with jpop youtube playing on a 100" telly and was tormented by a chap called Steven who looked like a vaguely humanised Cludo piece. He came up to me, right in my face and started waving his hands right into my eyes and I burst into a fit of laughter but also weird dread as he followed me around in is nonhuman way. Second life VR is going to really be a thing.

Lands End is The Witness light. It looks like it, its all about line puzzles and it feels like youre in the same world. Its not complex, but its a pretty and relaxing jaunt. Kind of a walking sim with light puzzles. Movement is handled with nodes that you look at for 3-4second and you autowalk there.

My dad spent about 45mins just wandering around VR google street, he was well impressed by just that.

PSA - dont think you can go for a walk with the passthrough camera turned on. The lag seems non-existant but its enough to send you to pukesville!

Need to get a few folk together and try Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes.

I also put a bid on an LG Watch Urbane (well done on the pretentious naming) not expecting to win it but hay ho....
Its a very nice looking thing, certainly a whole heap more classy than my Pebble. The screen looks lovely and vivid and even with the always on face the battery lasts almost 2 days which is better than I expected. That said, the always on face, to my tastes, is too bright. In the daylight its fine and does a good job of looking like a real watch but I wish at night you could drop it to almost impossible to see levels of brightness. Its a decent bit of kit but in a lot of ways I feel its trying to do too much and in most ways I prefer my Pebble for its functional simplicity. The eink display being on without any light being emitted is also a big plus in my books. I'll use it for a few weeks but I might just sell it on.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:52 pm

I'd hate to denounce you as a cynical man evol, but you'll forgive me if I get excited that an individual as seemingly difficult to impress as yourself is wowed by VR, because it probably means we have a god damned revolution on our hands. ¬_¬

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:38 pm

So many people don't think VR will succeed that evol has to like it.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:47 pm

:lol:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Tank

Postby Tank » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:03 pm

I may have gone too far this time...

For those curious its just over 2ft tall.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:10 pm

Is it edible? It looks edible.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Tank

Postby Tank » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:19 pm

No.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:50 pm

I want it to be.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:14 pm

Your barmy :lol:

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:40 am

That'll be bloody terrifying to wake up to in the middle of the night, looming over you, that smile...

Tank

Postby Tank » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Mojo wrote:That'll be bloody terrifying to wake up to in the middle of the night, looming over you, that smile...

Thats mainly why I don't keep it on the bedside table.

Barry isn't so keen on it though.

Tank

Postby Tank » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World