Headed back to Virgin Media

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Headed back to Virgin Media

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Fancypants.

katarn wrote:Yeah, that upload is weirdly low. Although it's not as vital.

The ping's not bad though.

It's not out of the ordinary at all, their uploads have always been terrible. I used to be on their top package a few years ago (100something at the time I think) and even then I only received about 5mb upload.

In fact, I'm sure they started doing 'gamer elite' packages a year or two ago where they charge you an extra premium on your standard speeds for the benefit of guaranteed additional upload. It's not crucial to most people, unless you're big into streaming and such.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:00 pm

Snowy wrote:Image

8)

High 5 my Vivid 200 brother!

:D

Upload speeds have always been shite on Virgin, sadly. :(

There's no traffic management on the gamer packages you mention Mantis although apparently there still is on the rest of the packages. Can't say I've ever noticed though really.

Eny

Postby Eny » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Image :-D
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Digital meatspin
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:14 am

With the gamer package you don't have your upload throttled which was a real pain in the arse for for me. Since I am nearly streaming every night for some hours.

But they should be upping that upload speed a bit more and stop being mean with it.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:08 am

eVoL wrote:Digital meatspin

:lol:

You love it really.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:13 am

:x
My face is tired.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Lee wrote:Since I am nearly streaming every night for some hours.

Have I missed your links to your streams?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:46 pm

I'm streaming every day as well.

Although in my case it's because I appear to be allergic to the children's guinea pigs.
My face is tired.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:50 pm

Rusty wrote:
Lee wrote:Since I am nearly streaming every night for some hours.

Have I missed your links to your streams?

Might be the times I am on as well Rusty. Usually on before 10pm for a couple of hours or much earlier on the weekends.

At the moment the windows fall creators update has left me with some streaming issues though. Getting crashes and errors in games that never had it before it then :(

My channel is here https://go.twitch.tv/correalian Mostly filled with pubg at the moment and some wow raids, mythics + tanking stuff when I'm bored :P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Anyone had much experience with Sky's broadband packages? BT are putting their prices up again in a couple of months and my deal with them expires too, so unless I can negotiate it down I'll be looking at £56 a month for what is effectively just a fibre line. Even if I get my tenner off again it's still starting to verge on excessive.

Sky are currently doing a 76mb deal for £30 per month all inclusive with a small set-up fee. It's starting to look very tempting.

BT's customer service is shite and their modem is a bit rubbish but the upside is that the broadband basically never goes down, so you're spared from having to call them. In nearly three years with them I think I've had to make two calls to customer services and both of them were within the first 6 months due to a rocky set-up. Is Sky as reliable?

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:24 pm

All my knowledge of Sky Broadband is a few years out of date now. Back then it absolutely was a case of sticking with BT for the reliability.

I don't know what it's like now. Threaten to leave BT over the phone and you'll probably get a hefty discount, so might end up being the best solution.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:30 pm

I've had Sky fibre (40mb) for about five years. In actual terms I get about 35mb wired, 26mb wifi, which is fine for me. Reliability wise I've had zero issues, with the only downtime being when Lancaster was heavily flooded 2 years ago. I'd say there are far better deals now than the package I'm on and I'll be looking at alternatives soon, but generally I've been very happy with it. Another point to consider is the router - if you get the Sky Q hub then apparently that's not a terrible bit of kit, but the model before that (which I have) is a bag of shite if you want anything but default stuff. There are ways of getting the necessary credentials for your own router (Sky won't give them to you) but it's a faff and technically voids the Sky contract. In reality I doubt they'd do anything.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:10 pm

The new package does come with the Q Hub.

I'm only really hesitant because I've seen various rants from Prey over the years about how badly they've taken him up the back passage.

katarn wrote:Threaten to leave BT over the phone and you'll probably get a hefty discount, so might end up being the best solution.

Funnily enough that didn't work out so well last time. I asked to be put through to a retentions line and said I was going to leave and they basically said "Yeah well there's the door, let me transfer you to a line to close your account" and I was a bit stuck for options. :lol: Ended up managing to negotiate that they wouldn't put my price up for another 18 months but didn't get anything else out of them, tight fisted gits.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 am

I don't know about BT, but with Virgin you have to call their bluff. Cancel it, you'll get a phone call off them a couple of days later with the real retention deal.

Shite to have to do it that way and a little scary too, but that's the dance you have to perform if you want those sweet deals. At least that's the case with Virgin anyway.

I've been doing the retention dance for many a year now and I've managed to get my bundle down to £25 a month with basically little effort other than shitting my pants for a week wondering if and when they'll call.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World