Headed back to Virgin Media

Exciting adventures in meat space.
JohnyHumf

Re: Headed back to Virgin Media

Postby JohnyHumf » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:23 pm

Some are better than others, depends a lot on how far you are from their servers and what kind of nick they're in. A lot of people use speedtest.net but imo it's sluggish as all fuck and given it's popularity gets hit at peak times from what I can see. When I'm testing with remote access I'll use http://www.speed.io and http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk, the latter being slightly better. If it's jumping up and down from one minute to the next I'll try a direct download from http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/ and see if it's fluctuating with one of the demos. With nice reboots of everything of course.

The job for me though is to prove that the connection is coming down into the house, not to make sure you can get it with day to day use. That means hardwired directly into the modem and with Windows (ideally 7, and don't even bother calling with a mac) in safe mode if all else fails. If you're using decent equipment and still getting slow speeds, that's when I'd either get a tech out or have a word with the network team and see if any shit's going down.

I'd strongly suggest doing all that yourself though before calling up, doing what I've described often takes 40 minutes on a call, not counting the time you'd spend on hold. They'll still want to do some troubleshooting, but being in safe mode and hardwired will save a ton of time.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Having a bit of an issue with Virgin. The download speeds I am getting are fine, but pings to servers and the speed at which pages load is terrible ranging from anything from below 50ms to over 800ms. Anyone know what might be causing this? I find it very strange particularly as I am still getting good download speeds.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:11 pm

I have been pretty happy with Sky fiber. No real complaints. My only gripe is that my sky box sometimes non stop records a program to 100% of the drive and then wipes itself clean. Happened twice now. Cannot be too upset - its only telly and most if not all the programs get repeated anyway
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:57 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:Having a bit of an issue with Virgin. The download speeds I am getting are fine, but pings to servers and the speed at which pages load is terrible ranging from anything from below 50ms to over 800ms. Anyone know what might be causing this? I find it very strange particularly as I am still getting good download speeds.

Got a mate with the same issue and it turned out that his area was in high utilisation and that can only be fixed VM. He's waiting for them to fix it so he can game online again.

If you go to there support forums for your line speed, they may ask you to submit a Thinkbroadband Monitor report before taking it further.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29 am

Getting a similar problem DjchunKfunK, the DL speeds are sometimes OK (on 30mb here) but when I try to game online I get massive lag spikes constantly, like 3 second periods where I seemingly can't do anything. Web pages can take ages too.
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:52 am

I think it must have been a problem with the router setup my landlord has as he got someone over to fix it last night and everything is working again. Hooray! Thanks for all the help though guys.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:36 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21347814

Bet the service gets even worse now AND all the profits will go overseas and the tax revenues fall even further, typical.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Does Virgin Media's traffic management still throttle your speeds when you go over a certain limit after 9pm? Or is it unlimited during late evening/early morning now? I know they were making changes to how they handled the system, but I can't remember whether or not they've started to include properly limitless downloading over a particular period.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:15 am

Unlimited after 9pm still, but they're meant to be updating the system in the next couple of months.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:23 am

Well my troubles continue. Now I am getting good ping so online gaming is fine, but my download speeds are round the 56k level. My upload speeds remain unaffected. Going to have to get the landlord to sort it once they get back as it is getting beyond a joke.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:33 pm

*bump*

Wasn't sure where to post this so I searched and found this topic. As you know Virgin have upped their monthly fibre connection price points by £3.99 a month but as promised they have now upped our connection from 50mb to 100mb so as you do when you get new connections I decided to run trusty old speedtest and this was the result...

Quite pleased I have to say as I wasn't expecting it to actually hit 100 nevermind beyond.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:45 pm

How do you guys get such speeds? Not sure if it's because of where I live, but when we went to fiber a few months ago, our download speed (as in what you see when it's downloading a game from Steam for example) went up from an average of 1.5mps to 3.3mps... a big jump for us, but it still takes a long time to download games that are seemingly growing in size exponentially.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Depends heavily on the setup of the cables in your local area in and around the cabinet. I'm on the top BT Infinity package for lack of a better option and I get about 80mb down, 20mb up pretty much constantly. In practice Steam will often boot out 9-10mbps though.

Nice download speeds but still pretty woeful upload from Virgin there. Their traffic management policy used to be brutal too, not sure what it's like nowadays.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:33 pm

Yeah, that upload is weirdly low. Although it's not as vital.

The ping's not bad though.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:37 pm

8)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World