Prey
Admin

Re: Headed back to Virgin Media

Postby Prey » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:56 am

15th of September. 60mb here we come. :mrgreen:

Edam

Postby Edam » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:54 am

See, I have 10meg and don't ever find myself craving for more. Surely there's point where you don't see the advantages day to day, aside from buying and downloading Max Payne 3 on Steam of course :p

Anyone got any tips for an existing customer to try and barter down the monthly subscription fee?

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:15 am

Tell them your thinking of moving to another provider as the bill is to high and you'll get some money cut off the bill to keep you with them?
Formerly MrAnnoyed

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Do exactly that. 10Mb isn't even offered any more, so call them up, either customer services will say what deal you can get, or if you want to kick up shit and say you want to cancel then relations might give you an even better deal.

Anything more than 60Mb and you're paying for the number not any real use. Vast majority of the calls I get from idiots with 100Mb is them saying their speed is slow because some speed test site in the arse end of Somalia was telling them so. Cue me going on about how "the internet is a two way street" and a load of other bollocks to explain that just because you can get 100Mb, doesn't mean any site is actually going to give you that speed.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Have you ever been tempted to use the "series of tubes" speech?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Prey wrote:15th of September. 60mb here we come. :mrgreen:

You went though Quidco right? That's like £160 cashback down the shitter if you never btw.

Edam

Postby Edam » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:36 pm

I've had customer service at three trying to get me to get the Sensation XL rather than the standard Sensation because it has a bigger screen. I specifically said I wanted a smaller screen. Then they told me the bigger screen would make it easier to make calls. >.<

Argued enough to get the XL at the price of the standard sensation. Win.

I'll give it a shot with VM.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Edam wrote:I've had customer service at three trying to get me to get the Sensation XL ...

Up to that point I thought you had bought a dildo or something. Never knew that what's they call the packages now :lol:
Formerly MrAnnoyed

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Quietman wrote:Have you ever been tempted to use the "series of tubes" speech?

Describing the internet as a series of tubes wouldn't raise an eyebrow from anyone around me. I get extremely bored and the more idiotic or twattish someone is the more likely I am to just give up and see how far I can push it. Finding a new cause of wireless interference is a particular favourite: large wet dogs, cheap microwaves and baby monitor factories are the main culprits. Having the street cabinets infested with an "overload of Apis mellifera" and therefore locked up tight for three days was a beut. Only time I'll ever tell an outright lie is if I have to get some dick who won't cooperate to swap the ends of his ethernet cable around, in which case I'll tell him that all the light particles get stuck at one end (but don't look directly in it or you could set off the light) and they have to get flushed the other way.

Mainly it's just daft analogies, like if some arsehole thinks we should fix their tablet because "they payin for the int'net and they not gettin it" I'll tell them it's like going into a garage and buying twenty litres of petrol then demanding a car to put it in. But yeah, absolute font of gobshite here bud.

NG

Postby NG » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:20 pm

This may just be me, but for the past few days from around 5.30pm to 10pm the connection speed is really really slow, even though I've not exceeded my max download limit or anything.
Just a FYI if anyone comes across this or is already experiencing this.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Might be a traffic issue, but hopefully not or it'll be May before it's sorted.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 pm

NG wrote:This may just be me, but for the past few days from around 5.30pm to 10pm the connection speed is really really slow, even though I've not exceeded my max download limit or anything.
Just a FYI if anyone comes across this or is already experiencing this.

This is the exact, exact reason we switched from Virgin in the end. That was what it was like for us every single night.

Plusnet is ace, in comparison.
My face is tired.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Still with Plusnet, as right now I can't see any new offers cheap enough to make it worth switching to anyone else, the support is excellent and the connection just stays up, so approx £20 a month including the phone is about average. Even taking something like Tesco's £2.50 BB for a year offer, the line rental would keep it at just under £17 per month. That isn't worth risking the stable service just for maybe a voucher or some one-time deal.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:50 pm

You've always got the option to cancel within 28 days of taking it out.

I've just got myself an upgrade to 20Mb for free, so it's 1080P streaming for me from now on! ^_^

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Are these Speed Test websites actually accurate or is there a more reliable way of gauging how much juice is coming down the line when it feels like you're not getting the speeds you're paying for?

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World