Headed back to Virgin Media

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Prey
Admin

Headed back to Virgin Media

Postby Prey » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:36 pm

So over the last month our cheapo but always trusty Sky package has become less and less attractive. The dish going down at least once a week thanks to poor weather. The internet service going on and off almost constantly sometimes every 15-20 minutes at the very worst. And last month somehow we managed to get a bill for £95. :lol: Nope I have no fucking idea how either, only that our Edwin neighbours had been using our phone to ring mobiles probably in Australia or something.

Last night we ordered Virgins break in package which consists of 30mb internet (compared to just 10mb from Sky) a TiVo box with 500GB storage (Virgin let us know that they were giving us a 1TB box instead free of charge) and of course phone calls and line rental. Comes to about £41 a month but we obviously have to wait over a month so we can end our contract with Sky first.

I as just wondering if things had improved since we left them for the once fantastic but now abysmal Sky?

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Headed back to Virgin Media

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:41 pm

All my experience with Virgin as an internet provider was negative. This was about three years ago, before we switched to Plusnet.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:44 pm

I've never had any problems with Virgin over the six years I have been with them. The one improvement I have noticed is that their on-demand service is pretty good and the responsiveness of their box has improved, as has the design of the remote. Some people have complained that the signal over wireless from the all-in-one boxes they give you isn't great. Internet wise though they were and still are top dog in my opinion.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:32 pm

All my experiences with Virgin being my ISP have been awesome. Being the television people? Awful. Just bloody awful.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm

They have the worst billing system ever too. I've just been charged a ludicrously high amount of money and I can't use the site to in any way, find out the breakdown of all the costs. Going to have to ring up the call centre and deal with their atrocious customer service now just to find out exactly what all the cash is going towards.

The service itself is reliable and rarely breaks down. But they have the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. Oh and don't expect their website to actually work more than 10% of the time.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm

As a new customer you'll be given one of the hubs, which has one antenna situated inside the box partially wrapped in a metal cage, so the wireless is a bit shit. Keep your old router, and don't let the techs take your ethernet cables away. And if you are wanting to use the hub's wireless then tell the tech where to install it and don't take no for an answer, otherwise he will put it underneath your telly cabinet in the corner of the room, wrapped in tinfoil and smothered with a wifi killing gypsy curse. He'll probably make a pass at your missus too. True story. Also, the firmware update that was done a few weeks ago seems to be causing problems with Vista machines (in the off chance you have one) and an apparently spreading issue of corrupted downloads in certain areas. Phones, tablets, tellies, games consoles, kindles etc are all unsupported, you'll be told where the password and SSID is then sent on your way. If you have any broadband issues, you'll be wanting to hear a Scottish accent when you call up if you're wanting it fixed or semi-reliable info on when it'll be sorted. If not you'll be through to Delhi or the Phillipines so it'll be 50/50 if they can even hear you.

On the telly side of things the Tivo box takes six or seven minutes to fully load up, has a habit of going apeshit if you plug in an HDMI and scart lead at the same time, and will grind to a halt if for some reason you decide to leave it on standby for three weeks. Package wise there's less channels than on Sky but the only one people have mentioned missing is Sky Atlantic. Tivo also has it's own 10Mb line for the OD stuff, which covers any HD programming fine. Any problems with the telly it doesn't matter who picks up the phone as nobody knows anything on the tech side of things as it's purely a green light/red light system. Nobody knows what any of it means, but it mostly ends in getting a tech out to the house, who do know their stuff.

Phones are phones, nobody calls up complaining that their line keeps going down, as it's nearly always just a matter of a loose connection in the street cabinet. Century old tech is a piece of piss it seems. Should mention though that stuff like caller display or block anonymous calls are paid features, each one normally costs about £2.75 each month. And check your phone package carefully so you won't find your first bill with £40 worth of call charges on it.

If you want, PM me your postcode and house number, I can have a look and see if there's any problems in your area before you fully sign up.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Mantis wrote:They have the worst billing system ever too. I've just been charged a ludicrously high amount of money and I can't use the site to in any way, find out the breakdown of all the costs. Going to have to ring up the call centre and deal with their atrocious customer service now just to find out exactly what all the cash is going towards.

The service itself is reliable and rarely breaks down. But they have the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. Oh and don't expect their website to actually work more than 10% of the time.

If you're wanting to get into the billing on the website, don't call up customer services, call tech support instead. They'll be able to see exactly what the primary username is and make sure you can get signed in. In the off-chance there's an issue with the logins and they can't change it, IT can have it sorted with 5-10 days. Just make sure you're the account holder. There's not been any issues with the site itself for about a month, so it should be a fifteen minute call at the longest.

For a breakdown of the bill over the phone, try and make sure whoever you're talking to is in the UK, for convenience if nothing else.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 pm

It's not that I can't sign in, more that whenever I try and access a page that isn't the 'My Virgin Media' overview I get an "Oops! We're having a problem, this page isn't working!" message. Which is typically the same message I get almost every time I've tried to do something on it during the course of the last three years.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:38 pm

That'll be the 5-10 days I mentioned then >_>

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:57 pm

I've been with Virgin (and the previous companies before) for at least 15 years. I have yet to encounter a problem with them service-wise. Customer service-wise though is a whole different story altogether. Although if the service works why do you need to phone them?

Virgin also offer a scandalous amount of cashback through Quidco too...

http://www.quidco.com/virgin-media/

Just doubled the BB speed to 60 Mb in my area too. :D

NG

Postby NG » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 pm

I've been using Virgin Media since back in the days they were known as ntl. Throughout my time with them they have upgraded customer broadband packages free of charge (I think recently they charged £1 when it was initially free like previous upgrades & people were complaining about it). My two main criticisms about VM is the traffic shaping/throttling, your bandwidth will be capped for X hours depending on when you breached your max download limit & secondly whenever there is a problem such as random disconnects, extremely slow speeds or not being able to connect at all (which has never happened to me other than the one VM modem/router issue) it will seem like the problem is major & VM are utter shits, but that is a very small percentage/dissatisfaction I can live with compared to the great service I've had with them so far.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:40 pm

You'll be glad to hear that the throttling isn't so sever any more, higher caps and less time before it goes back to normal if you don't go over another secondary cap which will throttle you back by about half. Sounds shit, but still better than being cut back 75% for five hours.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Are all of the services capped? I don't think I've ever noticed any throttling even on occasions where I've downloaded hundreds of gigs of data in a month. There's got to be some small print on the contract about a fair usage level.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:02 am

It's not so much a cap than just a reduction during the day. You can hammer it day and night if you want without having to pay anything. The only time I've heard of anyone being contacted due to high usage was some guy that downloaded 60Gb in a day or something. Which was more Virgin's fault than anything as he wasn't being throttled.

Here's a table given the limits:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/STM_30Mb_above_800pxB.jpg

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:58 am

It was the throttling that made us switch suppliers in the end, my speeds trebled overnight.
My face is tired.

Next

Return to General & Real World