Headed back to Virgin Media

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Jez

Re: Headed back to Virgin Media

Postby Jez » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 am

Think that's the thing isn't it. If you are willing to call the bluff.

If it wasn't so fuckin irritatingly and meaninglessly long to reconnected I'd be gone from BT. Been with them for donkeys years and I'm paying 50odd or more for the fibre line. I don't use the phone line or their BTsport stuff.

Irritating. But this kind of thing pops up quite often on national media and maybe it will change.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:52 pm

Well I've done it, I pulled the trigger on the Sky offer. If they can match my existing speeds and are consistently stable then the savings are a no brainer. This is the first time I've ever switched provider without also moving home, so I've no experience with what to generally expect, but the switch service seems quite impressive. In a couple of weeks they'll give me a switch date, then it's just a matter of plugging the new router in and they handle everything with BT; so the internet should be down for less than five minutes. I'm happy with that as I can't stand dealing with dodgy engineers, Openreach have only ever been useless when I've needed to use them.

Here's hoping they don't turn out to be awful!

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:51 pm

Good on ya mate. Let us know how it pans out. I'm sorely tempted to ditch BT also they have no respect for my loyalty over the years with steadily rising my price but offering deals with the other hand to new folk.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:59 pm

I must say I've never had a problem with Plusnet in the eight years we've been with them, they're quite often upping our speeds for no extra cost and we've never had any issues with connectivity or throttling or anything. We hope to be moving house sometime in the new year, and I expect we'll remain with them.
My face is tired.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Sly Boots wrote:I must say I've never had a problem with Plusnet in the eight years we've been with them, they're quite often upping our speeds for no extra cost and we've never had any issues with connectivity or throttling or anything. We hope to be moving house sometime in the new year, and I expect we'll remain with them.

Same here, been with Plusnet about 2 years and been nothing but impressed. My first router with them died and not only did I have a brand new hub within 48hrs but they debited my balance for that downtime without any pushing from me. Speed is good too, fair distance from the exchange and still getting 55mb d/l and abut 13mb u/l.
They have indeed "done me proud".
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:42 pm

Very nice guys.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Funny story, BT called me today and offered my existing package for £36 a month. It took me actually buying a subscription with a different ISP to get a decent discount offer and even then they couldn't match Sky. I'm still slightly tempted to take it though, it's only £100 more over the 18 months and I know the service is decent. What a predicament!

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:00 pm

I take it they wouldn't budge on matching the sky offer to keep you then?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:11 pm

Nah they said they don't do price matching and £36 was the best possible offer they could manage. Initial offer was £39 because of all the extra 'services' they provide, but they dropped it when I said I didn't use a single one of them. -_-

I'm still tempted just because of the convenience, only I know they'll want to bump it back up to £56 after the 18 months is up.

Jez

Postby Jez » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:58 pm

But then sky will likely bump also once the term is up for the deal so you'd be in a similar situation really?

100 quid over 18 months isn't a small amount but for the convenience it's tempting aye.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:00 pm

All you're really doing is delaying making the change, I say keep going with what you've started.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Jez wrote:But then sky will likely bump also once the term is up for the deal so you'd be in a similar situation really?.

True, but Sky's price after the 18 month deal expires is still only what I currently pay now on BT, and BT were going to add two quid to my bill in January, then another tenner in May. Sky will always be cheaper I think, it's just whether I want the risk of not getting a steady 80mb down/20mb up.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:54 pm

Well, today was the switch over as I couldn't be bothered to call BT again to accept their offer. -_-

Got to say, I'm impressed. The net went down at about 5pm and within 15 minutes I had plugged the new router in and configured the new network settings.

I've gone from this:

To this within 15 minutes:

It's currently £14 a month cheaper and from January it will be £26 a month cheaper! They say to give 28 days for the line to fully stabilise, whatever that means, so perhaps I'll even match the old BT speed eventually.

Good job, Sky, now just don't be an unstable piece of crap for the next 18 months please.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:10 pm

What's the Sky router like? Many high speed ports in the back?

My version of the homehub has 4 ethernet ports, but only one of them is the full high speed one. Which is a bit limited when you have several devices wanting highspeed broadband.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:29 pm

There's only two on the back, but there's no markings to suggest that only one is high speed so I assume they both are. I have the PC in one socket and bought one of these extensions for the second, which runs my consoles and Steam Link through.

I haven't tried downloading multiple items over the extension at once, and likely never will anyway, but the PS4 is currently downloading 14gb with a 24 minute estimate, which is about 9-10mbps I think. So clearly it's going full throttle through both the second port and the extension device.

The functionality of the Hub settings area is about on par with BT's Home Hub, perhaps slightly better in terms of options available. Neither of them really compare with the things you can do with the Virgin Media gear.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World