Cars MkII

Exciting adventures in meat space.
DjchunKfunK

Re: Cars MkII

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:46 am

The employ some kind of new transmission system which means that you start the car using the electric motors, two of which are attached to the back wheels and then once you hit 30mph the petrol engine has come on line and takes over.

Regera uses something called the Koenigsegg Direct Drive system. There's a small, crank-mounted electric motor to fill the torque gap (and act as a starter motor) together with a hydraulic coupling.

Each rear wheel then gets its own electric motor, and we're told that triplet of electric motors amounts to around 700bhp alone. Christian tells us that from take-off, with the coupling open, you power off purely on electric drive, with no need for a gearbox. As soon as it gains a few more revs, the hydraulic coupling begins to close, and the smaller crank-mounted electric motor joins in to help the bottom part of the torque curve.

And then finally, once the engine gets up to speed, that kicks in from around 30mph upwards. "We managed to take a heavy, expensive lump out of the equation [the transmission], without sacrificing the ability of the combustion engine to provide drive to the rear wheels," Christian tells TG.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed May 11, 2016 10:29 am

So, time for a change.

I have had the Jaaaag now for almost 3 years and have racked up a lot of miles, with it now sat at 96k on the clock. I know that the next service involves a timing chain change, and I have recently had a few expenses with things needing replacing, so decided upon a change. That said, ownership was nowhere near as costly as I had thought it might be, the car was an absolute gem and will be sorely missed.

Got the Jaaaag as I wanted better fuel economy, and the diesel engine provided that with 40+mpg on my daily commute. Thing is, while it was a lovely car, it didn't really make me grin. Whenever you threw it around in the bends, it always told you via your backside that you had 2 tonnes of car underneath you which, should it ever get out of shape, would be a handful to gather back up again!

So I started thinking back on cars that have made me grin. The one that really stood out was my (very) old Mk2 Golf GTI, so I set about finding a hot hatch that would be a joy to drive when I wanted to really press the loud pedal, but would also be a good commuting car.

I had a good read around online, plus talked to friends who both owned Mk2 Focus STs. They could not shower enough praise on these cars, although I knew from reading online that they were thirsty little beasts, the 2.5 litre 5-pot engines caning fuel.

I test drove several cars, from the magazine's favourite the Renaultsport Megane 265 to the best in class Golf GTI, plus the Seat Leon FR, Astra VXR and of course the Focus ST. The Renault would be a riot on a track I am sure, but on the road it was spine-shatteringly harsh and felt very cheap and nasty inside, so that was off the list. The Golf was nice, but quite a premium price-wise for what you got and also a bit pedestrian in the looks department. The VXR was nice enough inside and plenty powerful, but was horrible putting the power down with the gas pedal being almost an on/off switch. The Leon was quick and nice inside, and was a definite contender. Then I drove the ST, and it matched the Seat and then added in it's own soundtrack - holy mama what a sense of occasion it has. From a thrumming warble at idle, the sound of the inline 5 gets harder and harder edged as you go up the rev range, overlaid with a whistle from the turbocharger and a roar from the intake. Add to that, every time you come off the gas, the twin exhausts popping and farting on the overrun, and occasionally letting go a proper WRC style bang.

Colour me impressed. I tried out the RS Focus as well, but found the styling a bit much, and it was straight back into Renault territory in terms of ride.

After some careful shopping then, I am now sat driving a pristine 37k miler 2010 Focus ST3 (all mod cons, leather etc), all in black - wheels, paintwork, windows, seats, roof liner, and of course soul :twisted: A very different beast to the Jag! Around town I average 22mpg, but on my commuting run am getting 30mpg which I can live with quite happily. And then there is the noise whenever I want to have some fun, or am just slowing down for junctions.

Tweed cap to Burberry baseball cap on backwards? Throes of a mid-life crisis? Maybe to both of those, but fuck it - if it is the latter I am embracing it with both arms :) Happy Snowy.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri May 13, 2016 2:55 pm

Cool. I've always fancied owning a Focus ST, they look and sound so good.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri May 13, 2016 7:06 pm

Yup, very happy boy.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri May 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Always thought they were pretty nice cars. Glad you're happy with it mate :D might have to have a look for one myself...
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Fri May 13, 2016 9:40 pm

They sound nice power delivery is smooth too, you'll spend most weekends cleaning that though.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sun May 15, 2016 7:26 am

Haha you aren't wrong Edwin, 1 week's M3 commute and it looks utterly filthy!

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun May 15, 2016 10:45 am

He's not bothered Edwin.

The "help" can wash it clean for him. :)

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue May 17, 2016 4:47 pm

Snowy wrote:Yup, very happy boy.

Nice. I like the wheels. How far from the kerb are you parking now? :D
Just once I want radiation to turn something into a giant fluffy bunny, instead of the Grand Poobah of all Mirelurks.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed May 18, 2016 7:36 am

Oh man don't. When I bought it a work colleague who also drives one moaned about how easy the alloys are to kerb. "Oh that won't be an issue" says Snowy, "my Jag has low profile tyres too and I haven't kerbed those one in 3 years of owning it".

1st weekend I had it, crunch.

Thankfully a gentle application of grease has made the resulting white scoring invisible, but I still know it is there, lurking like a cancer!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 19, 2016 1:57 pm

I seem to have reached a point where every year a full service and MOT plus any repairs needed always comes out as costing me around £450. Rather strange.

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Thu May 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Mines been just over £450 for the last 4 years. Maybe it's some sort of country wide scam.
Listen to me. Traitor.

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri May 20, 2016 7:15 am

Are you guys on a pay monthly service plan at all?

Paul

Postby Paul » Fri May 20, 2016 11:42 am

Very nice, Snowy.

I currently drive a RenaultSport Megane. Same colour scheme as yours (all black; red calipers). It's the fully loaded version with the leather Recaro bucket seats and all that guff. '11 model, so the 250bhp variant (newer ones are 265 and 275 I believe). Truth be told, it's a bit too much for me. I find that I much preferred the RS Twingo, which was simply a tuned up 1.6 petrol with 133bhp (cup chassis, so stiffer suspension and the like). Lightweight and tremendous amounts of fun.

It'll be going soon, mind. Our current family car is a Captur (hate it - I call it "Craptur", because sharp wit). The wife uses it for communing and will continue to do so for a good while yet. It's black with a bright orange roof. It's a bloody travesty.

I'm thinking about an S-Max for the Megane replacement. I need something with loads of space and more power than the Craptur (1.5 turbo diesel) which feels akin to riding atop an asthmatic ferret.

Previous

Return to General & Real World