Exciting adventures in meat space.
Paul

Re: GAME woes

Postby Paul » Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 am

Now you mention it...

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:52 pm

Since HMV have benefitted from the vinyl bounce back and re-opening the online shop I really want GAME to also get back to things and I buy my Xbox Live time from their site. Just hope they can offer other digital-type services like that over and above the physical stuff that's harder to shift.

Either that or it's just summertime when bigger titles slip or just aren't out until Autumn, or there's no killer app/GTA scale title that people are rushing out to buy.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:08 am

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/06/26/why- ... -hate-game

Fascinating article on the history and demise of GAME. The article also includes the ESA 74% stat I jointly calculated with my colleague.
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Three simple words. OUT. OF. TOUCH.

Just as Achtung's rather excellent article describes the store just hasn't been the same since EB was still king of the high street gaming wise and PC gaming was still a 100% physical only thing. When someone at EB would ask if you needed help you could guarantee that they would be knowledgeable about what it was you would be after. These days if someone in GAME asks the exact same question the very first thing they do is fucking go look it up on the computer. Clueless is as clueless does I guess. Hell even the often rather grubby feeling and often very tiny Game Station store was my go to choice at one point more than GAME ever was.

Anyway the article sums it up far better than I ever could really...

"GAME spent too much time trying to make the stores look too much like 'show homes' than focusing on the one thing that mattered. The customers. To take time with them, to get to know them — not to get them in and out again whilst forcing six different products onto them that they don’t want.”

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Wouldn't miss them at all if they disappeared off the street. I rarely buy games from bricks and mortar stores anymore, and when I do it's usually from places like Grainger Games. Competitive prices in line with online, the added immediacy of getting your hands on the game and none of the bullshit that GAME routinely throw around.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:48 pm

I remember A LOT of us not being happy when PC retail boxes first started being phased out in favour of digital downloads but now you have to kinda truly admire the sheer simplicity and ultra mega convenience of it all. Find a game. Buy. Download. Play. Don't like your purchase? Play two hours. Refund it. Buy something else. On top of that I'm sure we can all remember those horrible times when you'd walk into a store and nigh on 70% of the physical PC games had suddenly upped and vanished over night. The 30% that was left behind in some corner you barely noticed was all either severely overpriced or just completely inadequate. Filled with fucking cheap ass £5 budget pc repacked games and the like. Overnight my worth as a consumer and primarily PC gamer was dropped to absolute zero.

I still remember when I first bought a Dreamcast from my local GAME back when I did actually use them frequently and I hated Sega Rally that I had got with it. I had to spend an hour travelling back to them to replace it with a different game and lo and behold I didn't like that one either and made the trip once again to find something else instead. Forgot my receipt. Back home. Back to shop again. Thankfully I ended up with Sonic Adventure and my new console purchase was very much saved, yeah yeah fuck off I LOVED it back then. It was truly next gen, man. There was nothing really all that convenient about gaming back then at all however would be my point.

Average consumer internet speeds are now are so much more than we would have ever dreamed they would be and even my own 50 meg connection I can download pretty much everything I can think of in about the same time it takes me to slap on a movie and reach the end credits or watch two eps of my favourite tv show and some of the games I own are now tipping well into the 60-70GB areas.

The entire gaming landscape and precisely how it is now offered to us is just so very different from what it was even just ten years ago whereas as much as GAME will attempt to convince you that it has effectively moved with the times all you have to do is walk into one of their stores to actually see - yeaaaaaah, they haven't really. No amount of branching out to sell bloody used phones or the very latest console will alter the much more privy consumer who knows that the store should really have gone the way of the dinosaur many moons ago because that very same consumer wouldn't even step foot in the place in 2017 and most probably hasn't done so in years previous. Joe Bloggs would much rather shop online now than have to go to a shop like GAME. In fact it no doubt wouldn't even cross their mind because inconvenience and parking.

Useless Minecraft merch anyone?

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:08 pm

well said Dave. Not sure to whom GAME is trying to appeal to now. Most people (even grannies) are doing their shopping online.

It is only a matter of time until they close shop. To be honest apart from services most shops that sell "goods" are pretty much fucked in this time of Amazon and internet shopping. For literally all products I now get them from Amazon - I even started buying my pants and socks from Amazon when I used to go to M&S
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Saints Row 3 / Valiant Hearts (XBO) / Rochard / RTW 2

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Prey wrote:I'm sure we can all remember those horrible times when you'd walk into a store and nigh on 70% of the physical PC games had suddenly upped and vanished over night. The 30% that was left behind in some corner you barely noticed was all either severely overpriced or just completely inadequate. Filled with fucking cheap ass £5 budget pc repacked games and the like. Overnight my worth as a consumer and primarily PC gamer was dropped to absolute zero.

I certainly remember that day, and the total lack of interest the shop-staff paid to my incredulity at the fact. GAME lost me as a customer that day, and Valve made a lot of money as a result.

Today they are an anachronism, and it is of their own making.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:40 pm

I'd hardly say that Game's downfall was their own doing; yes they over-expanded just before their online competition really took off, but there was no way they'd have been able to compete with Play and Amazon's prices in the mid 2000s, and Steam after that. Their ditching of most of their PC gaming section was a profit-maximisation exercise because consoles didn't have a competing digital distribution platform until fairly recently (some would argue they still don't).

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Yeah I have to agree about the PC thing. Having worked in Game a long time ago we hardly had anyone coming in to buy PC games.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Considering that the only way they really make any money is from price gouging with ludicrous mark-ups on the second hand games that they buy off people, you've got to imagine that some upper management are doing a poor job somewhere of managing their costings for the business.

There's also a lot more they could do to make people actually want to go into their stores and enjoy buying things from them. But instead they opt to rely on the strategy of paying £2 for a second hand game, then selling it for £20-30. All that is achieving is slowly killing their business.

Just because competition from online retailers is squeezing their market, doesn't make it any less their fault for failing at retaining their customers. The internet has done a lot of damage to the high street but some retailers have been able to adapt by changing up what they offer.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Ok, what sort of things could they be doing instead?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Every time I walk through our local mall, I'm surprised that HMV still seems to be a thing, to be honest.

We have a Game as well, in fact, goodness only knows how.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Just on pre-owned games the mark-ups are higher now. Back when I worked there I think we paid £20 or £25 for a new release and then sold it for £30 or £35 depending on the retail price of the game at the time. Now you see pre-owned games being a few pounds less and sometimes, rather incredibly, the same price. I don't think there is a problem with Game making a profit on pre-owned games and you to a degree their pre-owned business is what kept them going to a certain degree. As their profits have gone down they have obviously pushed pre-owned harder as that is where they make their money. You have to remember that margins on most of the stuff Game sells are relatively small.

Basically the whole economy of selling games in a dedicated retail store is and always has been f'**ked and has got nearly impossible with the advent of online and digital. Yes Game made some mistakes, but at the same time even with better management they wouldn't really be in much of a better position.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Is Gamestop in the UK? Both Game and HMV are gone from Ireland now and we're left with fucking Gamestop, shower of robbing cunts.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World