GAME woes

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Achtung Englander

GAME woes

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:12 pm

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/game-s-f ... 7-6/089518

There probably a degree of bullshit behind this. I recently read through their mid year financial statement (part of my job - don't ask) and they do have enough cash to last them 2 years based on their current spending. Their overheads were massive mind. Their cost of sales was big enough and their Opex was massive - resulting with a really slim net income. So any downturn will hit them hard

If sales continue to plummet due to the web discounts then they are fucked. If publishers sign agreements with Sony and MS and release their new titles on the new generation of consoles via an embedded retail service and stop making physical discs - its bye bye to the purple shops
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Re: GAME woes

Postby Wolfy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:45 pm

A few weeks ago, I heard one GAME shop-floor guy say to another "Do zombies respawn in Dead Island?".
Inwardly, I was saying "Yes, they do. Say yes. SAY YES."
The other man went "Er... Don't think they do.."

I had to get out of there. :shock:

I tend to avoid GAME if I can help it.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:49 pm

GAME has been dreadful pretty much consistently for the last ten years. If they go under I won't be particularly bothered.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:37 pm

The sell two PC games, and they are both £39.99. Fuck 'em.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Fair play to some I go to, their not bad. Some have some good bargains and some have employees who are actually passionate. Some are just crap, same as all other chain stores really.

Srcr. Maligree

Postby Srcr. Maligree » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Edwin wrote:The sell two PC games, and they are both £39.99. Fuck 'em.

Don't forget the small row of budget games!
I think it took them ten years to stop selling Dungeon Keeper 2.
Steam & Origin: Maligree ~~~ PSN: SrcrMaligree

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Wait, won't this include Gametation as well? Seeing as though they are owned by the same guys. If one goes down, the other will too. That'll leave my town with one gaming store : an independant one whose prices are quite cheap so I hear.

I'm not too bothered. Game used to be brilliant, I used to love going in there and spending loads of time trying to find some bargins and cheap deals. Now, I go in, get whatever I want (if I don't buy it online) and leave as soon as I can.

Some of the guys working there are decent, will have a conversation with you, asking you about the game ect. Other just "blip". 34.99 please. Bye. Oh, and the manager in our GAME looks like a dick. Even if he did sell SA to me when i was 16 without ID. (I clearly look under 18, even now)

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:07 am

Overpriced shite, they've got the Woolies and HMV mentality to them. Quite how WH Smith haven't already went under I'll never know.

Ronin

Postby Ronin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:21 am

Sigur Ros wrote:Some of the guys working there are decent, will have a conversation with you, asking you about the game ect. Other just "blip". 34.99 please. Bye. Oh, and the manager in our GAME looks like a dick. Even if he did sell SA to me when i was 16 without ID. (I clearly look under 18, even now)

This. My local store knows me by name now. And they pop over to my work for drinks regularly.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:32 am

A nice guy in Game talked me into buying an Xbox Slim and pre-ordering Mafia 2 within minutes of walking in the door and I'm a Edwin when it comes to sales pitches. Most of the staff seem to know about the games they sell and are generally pleasant to deal with, unlike the morose wankers in most other places. I'll be sad to see them go.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:21 pm

oh dear....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... -new-games

Seems GAME has stopped all pre-orders from reading user comments
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Solidarity Reg

Postby Solidarity Reg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:38 pm

I was looking for a Gamecube game and CEX didn't have the one I was after, so thought I'd try GAME as it was on the way (I never go in there normally), and asked if they had any second-hand game cube games.

"No, No one does them anymore you can't get them"

I was irked by his definitive ill-researched response so corrected him saying I'd just been in CEX, so yes you can, in fact, get them.

That said, they are the UK version of Gamestop, right? And that Gamestop/Impulse DD service is actually the polar opposite of Game stores: No oceans pricing and really good bargains. Weird.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:29 am

I think a decline in high street stores is always a sad thing, as it is always local jobs that are the cost. At the same time, with broadband technology moving along as it is, there is little need for games to be a physical media any more, so it is kind of a natural process I reckon.

Also, GAME have been poorly run for a long while now. Their pricing strategy is woeful, and what is with all the stupid soft toys all over the place, surely nobody buys that shit?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:19 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... s-sell-off

Dun dun duuuuuun.

Considering that gaming is currently one of the fastest growing forms of entertainment it makes you wonder exactly how they've managed to go so wrong as to be in financial trouble. If GAME changed their market strategy to something a little more with the times they could seriously be raking in the cash right now, not pleading for fresh stock because their credit rating is in the shit.

I suppose that's what they get for dicking on publishers for so long with their awful second hand market profiteering.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:34 pm

Are there any other "big" game retailers out there? Where are they?
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Next

Return to General & Real World