Boardgames

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Tank

Re: Boardgames

Postby Tank » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Space Hulk 3rd Edition arrived today!

Where did you get that from? I've been busting a gut to try and get my hands on a copy without paying put a national deficit for it.
Prey wrote:Reminds me of school when I asked to borrow someone's football, said no and then laughed and said ok. Told them to shove it.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:19 am

Mournblade wrote:I've just ordered the Holy Grail of Hobbyist board games from eBay -- for probably twice the price of what is was originally worth.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:03 pm

I am very lucky in that a good friend of mine is selling me his unused and unwanted copy of 3rd Ed Space Hulk for what he paid + postage :)

Cannot wait!

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:03 am

Excellent!

I just finished putting all my Space Marines and Genestealers together yesterday. Unfortunately, although the copy I bought off eBay was shrink-wrapped, one of the Genestealers had a snapped-off hand and one of the Space Marines had a snapped-off arm-joint. As I'd never glued any models together before, I took them up to my local Games Workshop store and the manager very kindly showed me how to glue them back together. He even did it for me in the case of those two figures.

I bought some plastic-glue from him and used it to glue a couple of characters together from previously-mentioned board-game, 'Defenders of the Realm', in which -- for some reason -- a couple of the figures (namely the Captain of the Guard from the first Hero Expansion and Sapphire the Dragon from the base game) came with separated body parts.

This has really boosted my confidence with assembling miniatures. I feel like I could take on any game that requires it now. I'm still hesitant about painting, but maybe that could be my next challenge! I like how Games Workshop offer free painting lessons in store. That's pretty awesome, considering how much they charge for their products!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:13 am

Don't actually buy anything directly from GW though, whatever you do. They mark their prices up ridiculously and almost everything they sell can be acquired from other sources 25% cheaper normally. I started repainting and modelling my 2nd edition Space Hulk a month or so ago and I bought all the official Citadel paints from an independent hobbyist for so much cheaper than what GW would have sold them for.

These new folders are silly, I missed this thread because it's been dumped in 'books & comics' for some inane reason.

katarn

Postby katarn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 am

Mantis wrote:These new folders are silly, I missed this thread because it's been dumped in 'books & comics' for some inane reason.

Nah, Sigur actually chose to put it in the book thread back in January way before the folder changes happened. It's always been in here.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:41 pm

I've had no complaints. Oh wai...

*Shrug*
Lee wrote:Holly fuck who is this above my comment?!

:O

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Music and Board Games folder pls. -_-

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Yeah sorry guys. There's a boardgame thread in General somewhere.

Anyway, Tried to buy Gears and my card decided to cancle it so I went down to Patriot Games to try and buy it. Yeah, so that shop is expensive.

£45 online, £58 in shop.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:34 am

Played 'Claustrophobia' with a good friend the other night. Fantastic game!

It's a similar concept to 'Space Hulk' -- i.e. group of heavily armed but massively outnumbered humans on a holy mission, vs. hordes of savage monsters with sharp claws. The Redeemer is essentially a Space Marine Librarian, the Condemned are Space Marines, the Troglodytes are Genestealers, and Demons are Genestealer Brood Lords. Thematically it's obviously a little different -- 17th Century Hell, versus 41st Millennium abandoned space craft. It's also different mechanically.

The board is not pre-built, but is based on random tiles that are drawn as the tunnels of Hell are explored. And tile is the key word. Movement is from tile-to-tile, rather than square-to-square. There simply are no squares in Claustrophobia. Characters can occupy any space on a tile, but there is a population limit on each one. Three characters from each side (i.e. humans and demons) can occupy any one tile. There are some exceptions to this rule, as some tiles are unique with their own special rules. For example, you might find a "tomb" tile in which warriors can find useful equipment. You might find a tile filled with blood-sucking tentacles that cause any combat wounds dealt in that area to double in effect! Or you might find a tile with a tight corridor that only allows the passage of one character from each side at a time, or a huge room that allows up to five on each side to occupy.

The humans aren't restricted to a system of action points, as Space Marines are in Space Hulk, but each one has six possible combinations of statistics (which are MOVEMENT, COMBAT and DEFENCE) that you have to roll a die for in what is called the "Initiative" phase of your turn. You roll a die for each character you have in play, then assign each die to a character, based on what tactical advantage you wish to give them. Lower die rolls produce faster, more mobile characters who can move an extra tile in a turn and deal more damage in combat. Higher die rolls produce stronger characters who can take way more damage but can't deal as much and can't move very fast. You are, then, restricted to what the die score says, but you have some choice in assigning which die to what character. As characters become wounded, they lose access to one statistic combination per wound received, thus reducing their options. If they take six wounds, they're dead.

Movement is usually between 1-2 tiles, sometimes 3. On your movement action, if your MOVEMENT score is 2, you can move across two tiles, including ones that haven't been explored yet, thus revealing them from a randomly-drawn pile.

Combat is a case of checking your COMBAT score -- say three -- versus the opponent's DEFENCE score, say 5. That means you have to roll 3 dice, and each die with a 5+ score results in a hit.

Each character also has special "Talents". The Redeemer can use divine powers to bring healing, bonuses and other advantages to the other players. The Blade has the ability to move through enemy-occupied tiles, thanks to his Elusive ability. The Brute has the ability to prevent demons from getting past him, thanks to his Impressive size and strength. He also has the Bodyguard ability, that allows him to take hits instead of his friends (if they're in the same tile). Each character can also carry a number of special weapons, such as a Blessed Hammer, that kills the powerful Demons with one blow. A Blunderbuss, that allows ranged combat from an adjacent tile, and adds a 1+ combat bonus (i.e. extra die), and a range of other powerful tools.

Troglodytes have a fixed MOVEMENT/COMBAT/DEFENCE score that never changes, but the Demon player does have a board of special powers that can modify these stats in a limited way, on which, each turn, he can roll three dice and apply the results to the different powers if the scores meet the criteria. Some of these powers are one-shot abilities that can be applied only once per game, for example, the ability to make the Troglodytes "Frantic", enabling them to re-roll failed combat dice for the duration of that turn. Other powers can be used every turn, such as buying more Threat Points (the currency the Demon player uses to "purchase" his minions with), or playing Event Cards which cause nasty things to happen -- like the tunnels to fill with poison gas or one of the human players to become possessed and attack his friend.

Demons cost more Threat Points than Troglodytes (5, as opposed to 1), but have considerably more health and some very nasty special powers. Only one can be summoned at a time, however, which is just as well for the human player. The 'De Profundis' expansion adds some nasty critters to the Demon Player -- Hellhounds, which are not as strong as Demons, but three times as deadly as a Troglodyte. They also have the ability to burrow through the ground and pop up anywhere, and can smell blood, so will pop up directly underneath tiles with humans on them. Thankfully, only two of them can be brought out each game, which is just as well because otherwise the humans would lose every time.

Normally, Demons and Troglodytes can only appear on tiles that are both unoccupied by humans AND have unexplored tunnels leading off from them. This gives a tactical edge to the humans. If they can make sure that each human is guarding a tile with tunnel entrance, they can actually prevent enemies from even entering play. However, they can't stop Hellhounds, and sometimes the Demon player can score a one-time special ability to enable his Troglodytes to also burrow through the ground or smell blood (not at the same time, though, unlike Hellhounds).

Back to my friend and I. He played the humans at his request. I played the Demons. The game is scenario-driven, but allows standard rules for making up your own scenarios. I took those rules and made them a little more liberal -- i.e., I gave the humans an advantage. I gave him 21 points to spend on hiring characters and buying special abilities and objects. The normal rules say you begin with 21, but the two players have to bid downwards and the one with the lowest score gets to apply that score to the human party. I think that's a little unfair. Anyway, you get the Redeemer for free. My friend hired a Brute, a Blade and a Sicaria (female assassin). He bought a shield for the Brute, a Blunderbuss for the Blade, and two divine gifts for the Redeemer. He also bought a Talent for the Sicaria (these ladies -- Sicarii -- are included in the 'De Profundis' expansion, and unlike the base-game characters, their gifts are interchangeable, depending on what you buy for them).

We were playing the scenario, "Survivors" where the humans had to escape from the tunnels by exploring 10 unexplored tiles. The 11th tile would be the exit. My friend sent everyone forward but kept the Brute behind to guard the rear. However, I played both my Hellhounds at the same time and attacked the Brute. He took a little damage, but both were killed pretty quickly by the other characters. After that, the humans did a good job of exploring the tunnels, but always making sure every entrance-way was blocked, so no monsters could get in. At one point, though, the Blade -- who was in the lead -- retreated one tile for some reason, thus allowing Troglodytes to come in through the tunnel ahead. The Redeemer took some damage, and also was hit by some poisonous fumes that I played on an Event Card.

Eventually, the tunnel came to a dead end, forcing them to head back to the starting tile and try another path. At the end of the dead-end tunnel was a tomb containing a suit of reinforced leather armour, which helped out the Blade who found it quite significantly. However, he had gone on ahead, so the team was separated. As the humans had been blocking up all the exits each turn, I had been unable to play demons, and thus had saved up quite a lot of threat points. I rolled a lucky combination of dice that allowed me to send in BURROWING MONSTERS, Troglodytes that could burrow through the ground, but only pop up in unoccupied spaces. As my friend's team had been split up, I was able to send 11 Troglodytes through the unoccupied areas in between the humans. The Blade's elusive ability enabled him to sneak through these, however, which was just as well as he was able to lend some much-needed fire-support with his Blunderbuss against a Demon which I had brought into the entrance tile to attack the now severely-wounded Redeemer (the Redeemer had made a swing at it with his Blessed Hammer, but missed!) The Demon was blown away, but there were still many Troglodytes in the area. One by one, the humans were cut down. The Brute had an Event-Card induced panic attack which caused him to abandon the Redeemer, and thus left his commander to die. The Sicaria, now the only survivor, had gone on ahead and taken another tunnel which she believed would lead to the exit. Troglodytes followed her through, but it seemed like they wouldn't catch her at this rate.

And then it happened. The next tile was another DEAD END! She was trapped, with Troglodytes pouring in behind her. I summoned another Demon (although I think perhaps I would have changed the rules to say that only one demon can be played per game -- the limit for this scenario was two). The Demon was an "Underground Hunter" class (there are many different kinds), whose combat rating is low (just one die), but who has the ability to roll as many combat dice as his target has wounds. The Sicaria had the ability to self-heal one wound each turn ("Resilience") but as she was the only one left, she was unable to choose her Initiative Phase die roll score. Unfortunately, she had taken a wound from a Troglodyte, and unluckily rolled the same number as the number of her Wounded Stat-Combo -- thus, she was "Exhausted" and could not move or attack. As such, the demons devoured her, and my friend lost the game.

Bit of a shame -- I actually prefer it when my opponents win so they get the most enjoyment out of the experience. However, it was a close match and we had a great time. I highly, highly recommend this game -- one of the best I've ever played.

Cerzi

Postby Cerzi » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:35 pm

Just ordered this:

The controversial and highly innovative new Risk, in which you draw on the board, tear up cards and add rules to the rulebook over the course of multiple plays. It's getting some really praising reviews regarding the 'metagame' features, and seems to be a huge leap forward from the old fashioned (and lame) traditional Risk games. Looking forward to playing it with my regular group and seeing how it unfolds...

Marty Fuffkin

Postby Marty Fuffkin » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:43 pm

Woah, just found this thread again.

I've been playing Talisman recently and that's a good laugh with a few players. It's alot of dice based randomness, but that does mean no two turns are the same!

This also arrived yesterday:

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Nice! I have been toying with getting that game at some point!

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Woo that's a lot of bits, my favourite. :D

Been playing Cosmic Encounter with the family when we were on holiday. Can't beat the classics.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Ever dared tackle Twilight Imperium with them?

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World