Boardgames

Exciting adventures in meat space.
katarn

Re: Boardgames

Postby katarn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Since I last posted in the thread a few years back, I discovered War of the Ring (2nd Edition):

It's a lot more strategic than these casual random games, although it does have its fair share of luck & has a hefty event card system which needs a lot of deliberation each turn.

It's one of the best boardgames I've ever played, not just thematically but also regarding its game mechanics. For an asymmetrical game with 2 completely different victory conditions, it's incredibly well-balanced.

Primarily 2-player, so it's not a party/group game. It takes 3-4 hours to play and needs a massive table!

I don't play many boardgames these times, don't have as much time as I used to. But each time I play WotR I have a completely different sequence of events each time.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:43 pm

katarn wrote: It takes 3-4 hours to play and needs a massive table!

I'm glad you mentioned this, as I was thinking about this game earlier, but I do not have either of those things.

My ideal game now is something that:

1. Takes 30 minutes to play.

2. Requires a tiny table.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Mournblade wrote:I'm a bit annoyed by Fantasy Flight Games' continual publication of "Second Editions". They seem do it a lot these days, with most of their major franchises.

Never did get around to replying to this. I can certainly understand why it puts people off; I'm having to spend £100 on the upgrade sets (and most annoyingly, the new starter set that is required where the majority of the asking price is three ships I don't need extras of), but the upgrade sets come with a boatload of upgrades that I don't have as well as the new rules fixing so much of the stuff that was a bit broken. It matters more to the competitive scene that I'm not a part of, but while my games are much more casual my playing partner and I are still fairly competitive and it'll be nice not feeling the need to bring upgrades that are more powerful and less fun.

And yes, "get it right first time" is certainly a criticism, but they didn't, and trying to fix things with confusing upgrades and errata documents is less preferable to a real fix that should decently future proof the game. The problem is that they didn't expect the game to be as successful as it has been, and it's been going now for longer than they'd planned. Because of this they've continued adding new upgrades and abilities while adding messy and complicated fixes for the earlier stuff. The T-65 X-Wing, the ship the game is named after, has been one of the least competitive ships available and it'll have no fewer than four different fix cards that would be compulsory (including, amusingly, the ability to kick your astromech droid out to prevent a single point of damage). As it stands, it's not a very intuitive experience for new players, and they really did need to address it.

The second edition is being launched alongside a phone / tablet app and web version that contains all of the points costs, which will no longer be printed on cards, nor will a ship's available upgrade slots. This allows them to adjust points costs and upgradeability if something is too powerful without having to publish an FAQ document (that doesn't affect the printed cards). It's a solid effort at keeping the game competitive and reducing the prevalence of meta builds going forward. It's the type of stuff that many would argue should be fixed during pre-release play testing, but a company can only do so much of that, and players are always going to find broken combinations afterwards.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:22 pm

You make a good point; I easily forget that outside of my extremely-casual-gaming house there's a whole world of people who play tournaments with this stuff and take it all very seriously and require the publisher to stay on top of all that. I had assumed it was just a way for FFG to make extra cash by saying: "We've made a new version! You have to buy it to keep up with your mates!"

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:23 pm

Mournblade wrote:
katarn wrote: It takes 3-4 hours to play and needs a massive table!

I'm glad you mentioned this, as I was thinking about this game earlier, but I do not have either of those things.

My ideal game now is something that:

I think I've come to the conclusion I'd rather play something like War of the Ring every now & then, say once every few months (which is about how often I can get round to it), instead of small casual stuff more regularly. Even if it means I don't get to do it as often due to the size of it.

I just get so much more out of a deep, rich, well-balanced board game - but I think this is largely down to the individual.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Mournblade wrote:My ideal game now is something that:

You, err, wouldn't like X-Wing epic games then.

I think by the two hour mark we'd realised that I wasn't going to win and I parked my corvette on top of his.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Impressive set-up. I can see why people with the space and time for it could get really into it.

I have a 3'x'3' table that I have to share with my boys' Lego/Playmobil/crafts/everything else. ¬_¬

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:27 pm

Mournblade wrote:Impressive set-up. I can see why people with the space and time for it could get really into it.

I have a 3'x'3' table that I have to share with my boys' Lego/Playmobil/crafts/everything else. ¬_¬

The Epic games are a bit too big for my liking; the capital ships are so much more cumbersome than the fighters, and all of the extra rules they involve make it too long-winded a game. Granted, they're still not supposed to take as long as this one would have, it was just my first attempt so it took more time. A standard game takes place in a space half that size and turns are a little quicker. I much prefer the nimble fighters anyway, the "piloting" (movement phase) is my favourite part, and thankfully it's the bit that FFG are refocusing on in the second edition.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:39 am

It's when they release the to-scale Star Destroyer model that you've got to really worry. ¬_¬

I've been looking at the Fallout board game, most likely as a single-player experience as I'm unlikely to convince my friends to give this one a go. Anybody have any experience with it?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/232918/fallout
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:36 am

You also might be interested in Fallout: Wasteland Warfare: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/226 ... nd-warfare

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:59 am

I still need to finish painting my Warhammer Quest Silver Tower stuff and then forcing some friends into a game.

Then I can paint the Shadows over Hammerhal set too.... XD
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:09 am

Mournblade wrote:You also might be interested in Fallout: Wasteland Warfare: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/226 ... nd-warfare

Nice. Anything with miniatures has a high probability of making me want to buy it. :wink:
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Mournblade wrote:You also might be interested in Fallout: Wasteland Warfare: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/226 ... nd-warfare

There is a Fallout boardgame? Ooooooh.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Previous

Return to General & Real World