HMV woes

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Achtung Englander

HMV woes

Postby Achtung Englander » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:19 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11956003

Shares in HMV Group have slumped 20% after it reported a big increase in losses as sales continued to fall.

This came as the business saw a 10% fall in the sale of CDs, and an 8% decline in DVD sales. Sales of computer games dropped even further, losing 12%.

Could it go the same way as Woolies ??

That damn fangled internet !! :x :wink:
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Wargame: European Escalation / Valiant Hearts (XBO)

Markachy

Postby Markachy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:55 pm

There is a reason for this: massively overpriced.

It angers me every time I go in and see 2 year old games sold for £40. They have bugger all price strategy and seem to be run by people who love music but don't give a feck about business and business practises. Its just not a competitive business.

Even Game, for crying out loud, have semi-sorted out their pricing strategy to become competitive with online retailers.

[Prey]

Postby [Prey] » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:57 pm

The ironic thing is Woolies had the same problem. I remember I used to in there and see vastly outdated PC games still going for £35 or more. Always good for a laugh. HMV are really no different apart from the odd decent logical sale buy they had from time to time.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:08 pm

HMV isn't exactly cheap for music either, in fact it's probably worse for music than it is for games. Albums just aren't worth £15-20 anymore when you can get them from other retailers for £10.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Markachy wrote:There is a reason for this: massively overpriced.

It angers me every time I go in and see 2 year old games sold for £40. They have bugger all price strategy and seem to be run by people who love music but don't give a feck about business and business practises. Its just not a competitive business.

Even Game, for crying out loud, have semi-sorted out their pricing strategy to become competitive with online retailers.

I was quite shocked the other day. The missus had asked for a Wii game for Christmas, and the price in a Game store was £5 cheaper than anywhere online that I could see.

It's a shame they've given up basically stocking anything for PC.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:12 pm

Prey wrote:The ironic thing is Woolies had the same problem. I remember I used to in there and see vastly outdated PC games still going for £35 or more. Always good for a laugh. HMV are really no different apart from the odd decent logical sale buy they had from time to time.

No joke - about 18 months ago I went into PC World in Bath to buy a new keyboard, and in their games section saw Diablo 2 with a £29.99 sticker on it. I think it was the budget re-release version as well.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:50 pm

Cuts both ways with PC World though, when they want to get rid of games or misprice it downwards, you can get good stuff for £5-10.

With HMV, they were stupid not to link up the relaunched loyalty card with Waterstone's considering I've bought more books in HMV than music for a long time. Last week was my first visit to Waterstone's since the final Harry Potter was released - three and a half years ago. Sadly even with no VAT on books and a really good sale, the book chain might still lose money.

Then as Mantis says, the prices are stupid outside of seasonal big sales and you have to look in both the sales section and the normal section where the CD/DVD sits to make sure you're getting the good price - eventually that becomes too big a faff. They might do downloads but they have the perception of being overpriced, so compared to Amazon and Play that compete over MP3 DLs, I've never even checked HMV.

Game on the other hand, do smart promotions like all the DLC for Empire Total War, if you want it on disc, that's a fiver in their sale, so even competing with Steam if you have the full game and haven't added the extras. Also game's Reward scheme is still good, even when they dumped PC I would still get enough points for a gamepad or a strategy guide, and I wasn't even spending that much. Plus they have the wholesale Ebay shop and their own website.

HMV can survive but they've really got to get off their backside and sort out their own website and go for broke this Christmas. They will certainly throw Waterstone's to the wolves before the main business goes anywhere, and they'll just hope enough people go to concerts to bring in that live entertainment money so they can hang in there. They'll shut more than Bond Street to stay afloat, the shop rents kill businesses every time and TheHut won't be there to rescue them like they did with Zavvi.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Went in there last week, the prices are a joke. Tons of selection aye, but I didn't see many people at the till tbh. I'm surprised WH Smith have stayed in business so long with the prices they have as well.

#m

Postby #m » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:18 pm

HMV is utterly retarded. Girlfriend wanted the White Album for her brother's birthday, it was £25 in HMV and £15 on a website. HMV's website. With free delivery.

Someone explain to me how this works.

Bev

Postby Bev » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:23 pm

I've seen the same film with three different prices in different parts of the same branch.

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:43 pm

They can have reasonable deals on DVDs, though rarely music, which is what I'd rather buy. I always check in there, but very rarely end up buying anything. Bring back independent record stores, I say!
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:01 am

I wouldn't care in the slightest if HMV went under.

Adam

Postby Adam » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:39 am

They own Waterstones, right? I'd be pissed if Waterstones went away.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:41 am

Waterstones are overpriced shite as well.

Wizard Of Odd

Postby Wizard Of Odd » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:11 am

Yeah. I mean, I always look round the shop when I'm in town, and the kids like going in there to look at the childrens books, but I never buy anything. The books in there are often twice the price as online, and the new releases are available even in the supermarket for a fraction of the price. It just makes no sense to pay the full price.

Next

Return to General & Real World