HMV woes

Exciting adventures in meat space.
DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Unfortunately a company like Waterstones is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They need to make money so they often push the celebrity tat because it sells, but they still can't really compete with Amazon who have much lower overheads so can sell at much cheaper prices and increasingly supermarkets who sell popular books as a loss leader.

The only plus Waterstones can really draw on is that their staff are generally knowledgeable and can help you out if you are not sure what you are looking for.

I would hate to see Waterstones go under as I buy most of my books after going into a shop not really looking for anything in particular. You just can't do that on the net. HMV less so as I only ever buy something in their when a sale is on.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:13 am

the shares have fallen even further

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12117510

Shares in music and books retailer HMV Group have fallen 24% after revealing falling sales, weak profits and trouble meeting the terms of a bank loan.

The firm plans to close 60 stores - which include Waterstone's bookshops - in the next 12 months in order to get costs under control.

It said Christmas sales were down 10%, and warned profits would be at the lower end of forecasts.

The Waterstones in my hometown was shut last week
Games playing : Max Payne 3 / Doom / Dirt 3 / RTW 2

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:16 pm

I had no idea that hmv owned waterstones. I couldn't really care less if hmv disappeared, but waterstones is the only decent bookshop on most high streets, at least in the north.

Anyway, yes, this was mentioned on the radio at work; apparently they're blaming the bad weather for poor sales. Not the fact that they can't compete with Play and Amazon then.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Not surprising really. I popped in to my local HMV yesterday spotted Black Ops for PC, £40.99! :lol:

neoboy

Postby neoboy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Frankly they only exist because general public are largely idiots who don't know how to use internet properly to order cheap stuff. It's like PC World really, if people had similar knowledge to mine about computers (I'm hardly a baby genius) that place would be filing for bankruptcy within 12 months.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Guildford has two branches of Waterstones. They're less than 50m away from each other. It's silly.

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:01 pm

neoboy wrote:Frankly they only exist because general public are largely idiots who don't know how to use internet properly to order cheap stuff. It's like PC World really, if people had similar knowledge to mine about computers (I'm hardly a baby genius) that place would be filing for bankruptcy within 12 months.

Not really. You can't browse a website like you can browse a store. I know almost everything's cheaper on the net, but you don't always know what you're looking for. They're DVD deals are usually pretty reasonable. I honestly would be somewhat sad to see HMV go, unless it somehow resulted in more independent stores popping up (doubt it).
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

Srcr. Maligree

Postby Srcr. Maligree » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:06 pm

If you're generally browsing, you look at things on their shelves, then go buy them online.

Seriously, a DVD is £12.99 in store, but £9.99 on their website, with free delivery. Buh-bye, store!

(The 3 for £20 deals aren't bad, though I rarely take advantage of them)
Last edited by Srcr. Maligree on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steam & Origin: Maligree ~~~ PSN: SrcrMaligree

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Apparently that's called Roboshopping, Maligree. It's not so necessary for videogames/music/films, I think, but for books then I think that physical shopping is still preferable. I like being able to look inside the book before I buy it.

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:26 pm

The high street will almost completely die eventually and it'll be replaced with a better, larger mail and ordering infrastructure. So that you can buy something and have it arrive that day or the next guaranteed. There'll be less shop assistants, but more people working in warehouses and for mail services.

People don't need to leave their house anymore to buy anything. The only things I buy from shops are clothing and food. I have increasingly started to buy clothing online though, there's more choice online for a start, you don't have to go through the horrors of pushing by people in a shop and a few places have now started to offer a free returns policy.

Srcr. Maligree

Postby Srcr. Maligree » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:33 pm

But I find clothes have to be tried on - sizes and fits vary by the store. It might look different to the picture on the site, have a horrible pattern on the back, or just not suit you (sir) once in front of a changing room mirror.

Fat Zombie wrote:For books I think that physical shopping is still preferable. I like being able to look inside the book before I buy it.

You can still "roboshop" books, you just need to flick through them in a shop first.

For xmas I bought my dad a book - £12.99. I couldn't see it on their shelves, so I asked a couple of assistants, and thought for their help (it took ages to find) i'll buy it here.
Half an hour later, found it for £9.99 in another shop -_-
Steam & Origin: Maligree ~~~ PSN: SrcrMaligree

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Srcr. Maligree wrote:But I find clothes have to be tried on - sizes and fits vary by the store. It might look different to the picture on the site, have a horrible pattern on the back, or just not suit you (sir) once in front of a changing room mirror.

Yeah, as I said though, a lot of places (eg. Amazon) offer a free returns service. So if you see a shirt you like you can buy 3 different sizes and then send two back with freepost.

Don't even have to leave your house. Easy.

Markachy

Postby Markachy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Gandalf wrote:The high street will almost completely die eventually and it'll be replaced with a better, larger mail and ordering infrastructure.

I don't think thats true. While I fucking HATE shopping, many many (mainly) women don't, and the whole experience of going into city centres with friends is a key part of that and will never be replicated by online shopping.

Thats like saying live music and pubs will disappear because of digital music and video conferencing! The social element is pretty major.

EDIT On topic, I won't miss HMV. Its always been a badly run store who tries to act like an independent music store (only hiring long-haired rock fans and "alternative" girls etc as if that makes them more authentic...) when a massive chain of stores simply cannot function in the same way.

I was looking for something in it around christmas and one of the staff who I asked literally said to me along the lines of "the store is an absolute joke, its so disorganised and chaotic that I don't even know where anything is."

Commercial darwinism in action. Shares dropped 75ish% in the last year. Ouch.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:44 pm

Tbh its been said before here. HMV is over priced and hasn't reacted in anyway to online shops, so this was bound to happen. Waterstones closing would be a major bummer though. I'll miss the smell of fresh books.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Never seen Waterstone's do any deals outside of the big hitters they have in front of the door. And a lot of the books are battered round the edges, which doesn't happen that often with Amazon even when they're second hand.

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World