HMV woes

Exciting adventures in meat space.
banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:20 am

Very true. But there's something comforting about knowing Waterstones is there.
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

Adam

Postby Adam » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:31 pm

What Paul said. I rarely (as in, not for about two years now) buy anything in Waterstones, but it's reassuring to know that I can go to just about any city in the UK and there will be a quality, reasonably-stocked book shop there. Living in London and Bath, as I have for the past four years, I've rarely had any reason to buy from there because there are plenty of independent book stores I'd rather support. But I love the browsing aspect of book stores, 90% of the time I go into one I'll come out empty-handed. I browse a book shop in a totally different way to how I browse a record shop, where if I go in, I'll generally be looking to pick up a bargain or see if they have anything rare that I've never come across before, rather than just reading blurbs and doing the page 99 test to lots of random books. ¬_¬
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Srcr. Maligree

Postby Srcr. Maligree » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:53 pm

I went in Waterstones on Friday, christmas shopping, and found the book I was looking for. It was on 3 for 2, but I couldn't find anything else to go with it, for me or anyone else. It was also full RRP -_-

I've bought the occasional CD from HMV, but bargain-tastic they are not.
Steam & Origin: Maligree ~~~ PSN: SrcrMaligree

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:13 pm

Last CD I bought from Waterstones was for a present and I stupidly paid over the odds for it because the person I was giving it too would be able to psychicly tell this and love me more for it. :|

Bev

Postby Bev » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Last thing I bought from Waterstones was a Moleskine diary which I've hardly used.

Boo-urns!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:52 pm

Waterstones will always be helpful even if the prices are a little high. It's nice to have a book shop with a good stock where you can pop in, browse a ton of books whilst having a coffee from upstairs then go order them all off the internet for a lower price. I've probably spent a lot more on drinks in Waterstones than I have on books in the last few months.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:37 pm

unfortunately I agree with this sentiment. I use Waterstones as a reference point to see what book I want to buy from Amazon.

I find it rather depressing that Waterstones is going down the XFactor route by stocking and promoting the really rubbish celebrity driven books. I know they sell and Waterstones need to make money but once literature starts to dumb down than they can hardly raise up their hands in innocence when the business goes belly up because serious readers just buy their books online.

The books delieved by Amazon are
a) a lot cheaper
b) fresh and have not been flicked through by 100 people before you buy it
c) gets delivered to your front door or work

They just cannot compete. Even their 3 for 2 bargains are beginning to look less attractive when you hard pressed to find 3 books you actually want to read because most are shite or catered for woman.

As for HMV - the only time I buy from them is when they do some deals on boxsets of DVDs that are cheaper than Amazon or Play. I think I bought 3 box sets in the last 4 years.

What I find really amusing is that albums now retail for £7.

£7

So all those years when we had to buy albums at £15 does mean we were truely ripped off. Sorry but if HMV goes down the tubes I would miss them but I would not be surprised
Games playing : Doom / Attila Total War / Syndicate

Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:46 pm

3 books you actually want to read because most are shite or catered for woman.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:41 pm

That's another thing about Waterstones, was going to buy a couple of books but they were dented round the edges. It sounds better but when I'm paying so much I want them pristine.

Gibby

Postby Gibby » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:33 pm

I understand completely. I love my books to be in utterly perfect condition, to the point where reading them is almost too much to bear in case they get scuffed. ¬_¬

That's why I prefer hardbacks, really.

Srcr. Maligree

Postby Srcr. Maligree » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:What I find really amusing is that albums now retail for £7.

Which albums are these? I've seen between £9 and £13 normally.
Steam & Origin: Maligree ~~~ PSN: SrcrMaligree

Edam

Postby Edam » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:02 am

Bev wrote:Last thing I bought from Waterstones was a Moleskine diary which I've hardly used.

Boo-urns!

I did that. Had one for 2010. Only the last month has anything written in it.

I guess that sums up my 2010 - being a Student for most then Unemployed for the rest. >.<

But it looks like my 2011 one is gonna be full to the brim. ^_^

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:03 pm

How nice of HMV to send my CD out, only ordered it 27th November when it was "in stock" :) and it's right in time for the Christmas slowdown so probably get here next week. This is the reason I shop at the website twice a year and buy more books than music in the shop, for anything you want in a hurry even Zavvi's quicker.
Last edited by Nethlyn on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich

Postby Rich » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:06 pm

Case in point with HMV.

A day after GAME / Gamestation advertise they are selling Medal of Honor for £19.99 theres an advert on tv for HMV saying get it now for £42.99 while stocks last.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:07 am

Funny you should mention that case in point, their final pre-Christmas offer newsletter emailed to me had the headlines "We're still shipping! Not long left to stock up for Christmas‏"

Yeah, like I'm going to sit around for three weeks for more of my stuff when that'll put me into 2011...you just can't make it up, can you?

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World