The PWF Bar - Gaping Void of the Internet - Ménage à Trois

Exciting adventures in meat space.
Animalmother

Re: The PWF Bar - Gaping Void of the Internet - Ménage à Tro

Postby Animalmother » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:40 pm

I assume these people making such decisions will expect an healthy bonus for their valiant effort.

The flu demon has almost been cast out. 5 fucking days mind, I've been going spare!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:58 pm

I had some form of flu last week, brought to me by my darling girlfriend after she'd been to a large roleplay event a week earlier. I've had so many illnesses since I've been off work for depression; I never used to be this susceptible to them - I guess I was just exposed to a lot more at my customer-facing job so my body could build up resistance.

I received some inheritance money yesterday from my gran's estate (she died in May). I've decided to treat myself to one piece of fancy tech / home appliance. I've become a bit of a coffee lover in recent years; we've got one of the best small coffee roasters in the country here in Lancaster, and two years ago I bought a bean-to-cup coffee machine to take advantage of them. It was well reviewed but one of the cheapest you could buy, doing nothing but grinding the beans and brewing them for espresso or something longer. If that was a Dacia, then I'm moving on to a high-end Mercedes. This one 'll do espresso too, but with automated cappuccinos, macchiatos, americanos and the like, all with one button press (and then it'll clean itself too). Hell, it'll even do hot water so you can make tea with it.

I am going to be so wired for the next few weeks.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Less coffee...more exercise :) feel loads better all round physically and depression wise :)

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:17 pm

I know you mean well Jez, but in my experience, unsolicited advice to mental health patients tends not to be well received, particularly after an extended period of treatment. The sufferer then has to either simply ignore it or explain why it's unwelcome to someone who's only trying to help, which isn't a nice feeling.

Exercise was one of the very first things my doctor recommended, and in my case it depends on how I'm feeling on any particular day. I did get an exercise bike for days where I don't feel like leaving the house. I've not come to the point where I'm willing to give up the coffee; I just enjoy it too much, and I don't think the positive of less caffeine outweighs the negative of giving up something I enjoy so much.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 pm

I tried explaining to someone why their suggestion of going out for a stroll to clear anxiety wasn't an option and would in fact heighten my anxiety, but they couldn't understand that because it works for them it wouldn't work for me. I don't resent unsolicited advice, it's just not really helpful and can have the opposite effect. It feels a bit like telling someone you've got a brain tumour and them suggesting you take some paracetamol and you'll feel loads better.
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:09 pm

I don't take it *quite* that badly, I think that level of resentment is reserved for when someone says "Cheer up".

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:19 pm

My trigger has always been people asking me what the matter is, or what's wrong.

FYI have been reading the comments here and in the blog thread, and been too much of a chicken to post. But I sympathise and indeed empathise with a lot of what some of you are going through... love you guys, and just wanted you to know that.

Just spent the weekend with an old friend. Like many he's spent his adult life battling depression and related issues (he's 50 now), and a year ago he quit a fairly well-paid job he hated to retrain in something he has a passion for, and now he's earning a quarter of what he did (when he is fully qualified it should be a lot more, though) and unfortunately can no longer has the time or money to have the weekly therapy sessions that have pretty much carried him through the last five or six years. Hearing him talk about the stuff that runs through his head when he's alone in his flat is heart-breaking... all the more so because I recognise it in myself, but whereas I've got a wife, kids and immediate family close by, he doesn't have that support network. Just feel so powerless when someone I care about confides something like that in me.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Raid wrote:I know you mean well Jez, but in my experience, unsolicited advice to mental health patients tends not to be well received, particularly after an extended period of treatment. The sufferer then has to either simply ignore it or explain why it's unwelcome to someone who's only trying to help, which isn't a nice feeling.

Exercise was one of the very first things my doctor recommended, and in my case it depends on how I'm feeling on any particular day. I did get an exercise bike for days where I don't feel like leaving the house. I've not come to the point where I'm willing to give up the coffee; I just enjoy it too much, and I don't think the positive of less caffeine outweighs the negative of giving up something I enjoy so much.

Yep no offence mate. I had a few down years after a marriage break up messy divorce with kids and mortgage, work was utterly unsupportive and generally shit with lots of tours away when I really could have done with being at home to sort things out....anyway.... I was never "diagnosed" as depressed (too proud to go to the doc) but I knew myself I wasn't right. So I know a few things about being "mental". All I knew was this I needed a change and unsoliticed or not I 100% guarantee you will feel "better" from just 30 mins of decent exercise a day.

The way I saw it at the time in my own situation was that sitting around scratching my arse after work wasn't helping at all. Had no energy for anything and concentration was rock bottom. It didn't solve everything but I had the energy and the head space to sort out the things that needed sorting.

Anyway I get your point about unsoliticed just giving some advice that worked for me.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:35 pm

Exercise certainly helps me, not so much because I'm suffering from depression or anything, but whenever I feel really lethargic or just generally apathetic towards doing anything, I find that going out for a run or hitting the gym gives me an energy that carries over into my other day to day activities. Last year I trained long distance running all year, dropped a few kg, this year I've been hitting the gym four days a week and put more muscle on. I feel physically fitter now than I think I ever have before.

I do really love running though and will be getting back into it soon. Exercise just for exercise sake isn't really going to benefit your mindset though, nothing saps the life out of something like sitting on a bike in your spare room. There's an almost zen-like feeling you can get from finding a nice peaceful running route and just doing a few kilometres outside. Really helps clear your head. I'd advise anybody to give it a try regardless of whether they were suffering from depression or not.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:57 pm

Indeed mate. Doesn't even have to be running to start with which can be daunting for folk to begin with. A 30 minute walking route listening to a podcast or the radio etc. It's the fresh air and a bit of exposure to natural light I guess.

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:34 am

Here's the thing. Exercise is obviously beneficial for lots of reasons, but it's not a mental health cure-all. I walk 2 miles a day to work and back, and while it's hard to say what impact no exercise would have, it doesn't appear to make any great improvement to my anxiety. I also occasionally do more rigorous exercise and that similarly doesn't make me feel 'better'. If exercise does help you, that's fantastic.

And here's the other, more significant thing. I'm visibly overweight - not morbidly obese but enough so that someone could justifiably tell me to stop eating all the pies. That's not something I'm self-conscious about, this is something different. When someone suggests I should try exercise to help my mental health, as several people have, from then on I feel like every time they see me they're thinking "why hasn't that fat bastard been exercising? He'd be loads better if he had!"

That's probably not what they're thinking. Anxiety doesn't care about reality. In this case it doesn't even make sense because you can't see me, yet the joy of anxiety defies logic and makes my brain go there anyway. This isn't an admonishment of anyone, I just want to detail the sort of thing that can happen with unsolicited advice. Yay for mental health shite! :lol:
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:28 am

Here's the thing with walking to work. It's purely that...walking to work. It comes with the baggage of thinking about the work thing and it's busy round you with others hurrying and scurrying to their work.

I remember with myself during the mental period driving into work of a morning and the anxiety rising just wishing that the lights would stay red or that there would be some form of huge accident on the motorway (awful I know) ... The highlight of my morning was a closed lane or blessed be....a full closure. I find it difficult to reconcile myself with that person either before or after...and that's only a brief example of the shit I'd be thinking. I love driving my car and driving in general but driving to work doesn't make me feel that love.

Anyway the point I guess I'm making is that doing an activity either walking or in my case driving isn't the same as doing it on your own terms and enjoying it.

Once I made the jump to doing some exercise on my terms I think it helped a lot. I was prepared to enjoy it and just fuckin forget about work and life bollox and somewhere down the line my mind repaired on my own efforts alone. Work was useless in the extreme and added to it all thinking back I probably had some form of ptsd on top of everything else after the last Iraq trip where we were attacked every day and saw some really awful stuff beyond the norm.

Probably no help to you Wrathbone and it's not meant to be an unsolicited advice point. Just a reflection of my own experience.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:12 am

For god's sake Prey. I'm going to disable your forum permissions for deleting your posts soon. -_-

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:58 am

There is nothing that makes me feel more anxious than a large amount of caffeine or sugar.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Quietman wrote:There is nothing that makes me feel more anxious than a large amount of caffeine or sugar.

Not even a blind madman shaving your scrot after he's obviously had a few?

PreviousNext

Return to General & Real World