Dashcams

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Rossell

Dashcams

Postby Rossell » Fri May 05, 2017 8:01 pm

My commute these days is getting filled up with more and more idiots. I'm thinking of getting a dashcam. Has anyone here dabbled? Preferably want one with a lithium battery as I do not want to constantly use the USB / cigarette lighter which in my car is conveniently in front of the gear stick for some reason.

Jez

Re: Dashcams

Postby Jez » Fri May 05, 2017 8:39 pm

I've thought about as I have to commute 20 miles into Birmingham every day and back and it's like fuckin Cairo sometimes.

But I haven't gone as far as buying one yet.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Sat May 06, 2017 7:32 pm

I got a cheap one of Amazon during a black friday sometime. You'll definitely want to do something with the cigarette lighter as it's something you'll forget to charge one time and it'll be the time you'll need it...
It also means it turns on when you turn the car on again meaning you don't forget to turn it on when you most need it.

The memory stick will automatically overwrite itself unless you've marked a section as protected, so it'll last forever (well, as long as SD card will last). Oh and it also auto protects anything that feels like a crash. No idea how, some gshock detection thing so you won't accidentally overwrite anything if you're sat in a car shocked.

Not had any accidents yet but a few hot woman walked in front of the car so I decided to check out the quality of the camera on a PC. It's all good.
I drive down a few country roads and then it's a case of your word against theirs. The camera will back me up (unless it was me that drove like a dick then I'll forget it was there)
I think I paid about 50 squid for it.

NG

Postby NG » Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 pm

I had bought this for £28.25 in January 2014 for family relative, but they didn't feel like the needed to have/use it so gave it to a delivery man for his work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
The dash cam came with scratches, looked like second hand product from a different seller (Cyber Trend) who doesn't appear to be trading anymore on Amazon under that name, but the camera did it's job, picture quality is decent, couldn't really identify registration plates of vehicles around you unless you and that other car are stationary and or up fairly close. Wasn't great for night recording, but for the price (£15.45) at the present moment you can't expect much.

In regards to your cigarette lighter issue, you could connect your camera to a suitable powerbank instead. Not convenient or practical, especially if you forget to recharge your powerbank for the camera when you need to use it but it's a work around.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Thu May 11, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks for the pointers chaps. Been looking up how people connect dashcams in my car and apparently there's a way to hardwire it through the glovebox that'll power it up with the ignition. Whether I want to mess my car around like that I've yet to decide, sure there's potentially warranty issues there.

NGs solution sounds a bit better if I get a USB power bank which I've been looking at too. Decisions, decisions lol.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue May 16, 2017 11:54 am

If you can afford it, get two. One pointing forwards, and one in the back facing backwards. That way you fully protect yourself. Assuming there is somewhere to mount the one in the back easily.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

NG

Postby NG » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Brother bought a Nextbase 312GW, as it has all the features compared to other models except the reflection free recording and wide dynamic range. He hasn't said anything bad about it yet, only had it for about 2 weeks or so & has only used it on roads that he's not familiar with since he recently did a refresher course.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ELRJW5Q/ ... 2Bcam&th=1

There are a few Youtube videos or video reviews that could give you a bit more info than I or he could, but the video quality is good, 5 min clips
just under 500mb. SD card wasn't included so he bought a 32gb Sandisk (max capacity allowed). Even though I say video quality is good, the clips that you may see on YT may be slighty different due to video compression or whatever. Hope this helps.

Return to Technology & Hardware