Is this worth upgrading?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Jez

Re: Is this worth upgrading?

Postby Jez » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:07 am

Cheers for the tip. I'll give them a looksie

AkselVerg

Postby AkselVerg » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:13 am

Hello, everyone, I saw this post and I thought that you, would be able to help me too. :mrgreen:
I have a fairly old laptop Asus G53SX now. https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G53SX/
And its hardware is not good enough for modern games. Actually, now I do not have the opportunity to buy a new gaming PC or laptop (They cost a lot), and I thought maybe you can advise how to upgrade my laptop.
It's Features: i7 2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD Windows 10

I was advised to start with replacing my HDD by a modern SSD, I looked at a few options on the Internet, read reviews and comparisons of several top SSDs in Google https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/ssds
But I did not come to the final conclusions yet. The problem is that I am the novice in the building of PC and replacing some of its parts. That's why I do not understand why SSD is better than my HDD. Wiki on SSD did not give much information https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
Actually, I have two questions for you, or even three
1) Will HDD replacement for SSD help improve my PC's performance?
2) If it helps, which SSD to choose, and what to pay attention to when choosing it to by. I'm waiting for your advice since I do not understand this field at all, maybe you can advise a pretty good SSD differ the above in the review.
3) And the last thing - besides replacing the HDD, can there be some way to inexpensively improve the performance?
Thank you in advance!

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:31 pm

Welcome to forum. Better tech minds than me will be along shortly!

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Best you can do is get an extra 4GB of memory in it and an SSD (SSD's are substantially faster than HDD's at writing and reading data).
Gotta be honest though, a 560m GPU isn't going to cut the mustard for any game that is remotely recent so you may be proverbially throwing good money after bad here.....

If you still want a boost, due to the likely connector for your hard drive, you don't need an all singing sad with the fastest speeds (your hardware won't be able to utilise it) so a large, cheap ssd would be fine along with the extra memory (DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, SO-DIMM) should see you right.

Welcome to the forum :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:26 pm

Also this may be useful if you decide to go through with it.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph ... post224827

Also, memory upgrades involve taking the keyboard/touchpad out.
YouTube is your friend on this one I feel.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:37 pm

Laptops are fiddly and expensive to upgrade. You would be better served saving towards a proper upgrade.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

AkselVerg

Postby AkselVerg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:07 am

TY all.. So the best choice is to save some extra money and build a PC?
I`m gonna try to buy used SSD and another slot of RAM, in hope that that would help. If no, then the best way would be to sell my old friend and try to build smth. I'll keep you posted on what will happen with the replacement components. If the replacement does not help, I'll be grateful if we together come up with a future build of my PC)

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:55 am

If an SSD feels out of reach you can always go for an SSHD as I did. They are cheaper and pack more space than a typical more expensive SSD. A 2TB version will only set you back £86...

http://www.ebuyer.com/754055-seagate-fi ... t2000dx002

Ok so not every is sold on hybrid drives (neither was I) but I'm more than happy with my 1 TB SSHD.

Welcome btw.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:15 am

Turns out you have two drive spaces in that laptop so I'd chuck a 256GB SSD in there and keep your 500GB for storage.

If you are going the upgrade route, check what memory is in there now (how many sticks and how many slots) before you buy.

However, if we're talking a new build it's pretty much all about Ryzen at the moment for bang per buck.

Heeeeeeeey

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:14 pm

AkselVerg wrote:TY all.. So the best choice is to save some extra money and build a PC?
I`m gonna try to buy used SSD and another slot of RAM, in hope that that would help. If no, then the best way would be to sell my old friend and try to build smth. I'll keep you posted on what will happen with the replacement components. If the replacement does not help, I'll be grateful if we together come up with a future build of my PC)

Lots of posts in here on PC builds, so you will always find a helpful crowd.

Welcome to the forum - get involved, we are mostly nice ;)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Previous

Return to Technology & Hardware