Whats the broadband landscape look like now?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
eVoL

Whats the broadband landscape look like now?

Postby eVoL » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:52 am

Its rare you hear much bitching about providers now so is it pretty much at parity across the companies now? Might be moving house again shortly, wondering if I should stick with Virgin or if anyone else is significantly better.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Re: Whats the broadband landscape look like now?

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Virgin are the best provider I've ever used, by a long margin. Never had any issues with them at all.

I'm on BT now though because it's the best I can get in the area. They're alright. Same price as Virgin but half the speed on BT Infinity, and it mostly works as it should. But whenever I've had any issues and needed a technician to come fix something it's been a nightmare. Open Reach are shite and the BT call centre has never been anything but a hassle.

Stick with Virgin.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:17 pm

Second that. Virgin are the best.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:25 pm

That said, one of the things BT has over Virgin is that Infinity truly is unlimited and uncapped. Virgin Media will throttle your speeds at peak times if you use a lot of bandwidth whereas BT will never do that.

Probably not enough to prompt a full switch over of providers, but it's one thing that BT Infinity has over most of its competitors and is the reason I chose them when I moved here.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:25 pm

I'm moving to an area where I can only get Virgin Media, but thankfully I can get their Vivid200 connection. I don't like the throttling but there's no BT at the new place and up to 200Mbps is a damn sight faster than what I have now so...

Also looking at the sight it only throttles upload rather than download at anything over 30Mb
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:12 pm

I think Virgin are still the fastest with BT a good second choice if you can't get Virgin in terms of speed.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:44 pm

It's quite sad that only the big two are really giving any kind of service. Plusnet threw it down the drain in the past year, they are now no longer no.1 choice unless they have a cashback deal on offer and your phone line can get over 8Mb for BB.

If Virgin's speed is now actually real world and they've stopped telling you what wonderful speeds you'll have in a year's time, then yep check out their offers first, specially if they've started installing to first floor flats again.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:44 am

I think some of the smaller companies are still good if you want cheap broadband.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Had a connection with Virgin while I lived in Falkirk and it was great! Fast and cheap.
Moving back to the Stirling area, and I'm back on BT and they're slow and suck. Bwah bwaaah.
End of an Era

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:52 am

Nethlyn wrote:Plusnet threw it down the drain in the past year, they are now no longer no.1 choice

What happened there then?
Considering leaving BT at £60 a month for PLusnet at £35 a month....
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:37 am

Tichinde wrote:
Nethlyn wrote:Plusnet threw it down the drain in the past year, they are now no longer no.1 choice

Not longer the best value for money, worsening customer service, changes to packages, etc.

Just not as good as they used to be.

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:09 pm

Virgin as they have given me barely any hassle :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:24 pm

Tichinde wrote:

Considering leaving BT at £60 a month for PLusnet at £35 a month....

Been on PlusNet Fibre including line rental and phone calls for a year now without any probs whatsover for less per month than I was paying AOL for my 8mb broadband alone

Well happy.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:14 pm

That's probably it then if Fibre's where it's at now. I've had longer contracts than the current one (18mths) but next to zero problems service wise, it's like insurance if you stay too long and you have to rush to get the same deals as new customers.

So if you're a new customer then and it's Fibre, you'll probably be OK.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

MrH

Postby MrH » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:34 am

I'm with BT on their Infinity #1 unlimited package and I'm perfectly happy with it, the speed is rock solid no matter the time of day and it's almost never done, the one time it went down for an extended period was due to an engineer mistakenly disconnecting my connection instead of a neighbour who cancelled their service, so that's just someone doing their job poorly more than an issue with the service itself, it did take them far too long to discover the mistake though and that's the biggest issue with BT, their customer service is poor so if something does go wrong be ready for a headache.

I did get rid of the BT Home Hub though, it was really bad for WiFi which I use a lot, I replaced it with a 5GHz TP Link and it was the best £50 I've ever spent, I went from 13MBps to the full 33MBps which is the maximum I can achieve due to my distance from the exchange, and it never drops anymore.
The question isn't why do I kill people, the question is... why I don't kill everybody

Return to Technology & Hardware