New Mobo & CPU or SSD & GFX Card?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Medicine Man

New Mobo & CPU or SSD & GFX Card?

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:21 pm

Hey chums,

After digging around in the old gaming savings for my recent The Witness purchase I noticed I have quietly accumulated enough to upgrade the old shit box at my feet.

I had always planned to upgrade the mobo and CPU next, but I'm not sure I can 100% be arsed with all that and can't help but wonder if I'd be better off just getting a GFX card and another SSD which tbh I could be doing with.

Here's the current state of affairs...

i5 760
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
2GB GTX 760
250GB SSD

Looking at...
i5 4690k
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3

or

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
4GB GTX 970

£300 max.

My current mobo is a socket 1156 which is a bit of a dead end upgrade wise for the CPU so the whole shooting match will have to be replaced if I go down that route. If I do go for the mobo onboard 5.1 is a must, also with a new mobo will I need to get new RAM as well?

What do you think? What's the best bang for buck option? Which ever one I go for it will be Christmas before I can afford to upgrade whatever I skip this time round. Of course I'm open to other recommendations and suggestions.

Lee

Re: New Mobo & CPU or SSD & GFX Card?

Postby Lee » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:26 pm

The Hdd and GPU I would say is best bang for buck. But what is your current mobo?

If you go for the cpu and mobo you can still use your current RAM as well :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:42 pm

GPU is probably going to net you the bigger gain, but I'm not sure whether you want to wait a bit until further into the year when the new graphics tech arrives. That might see the 970 drop in price a bit or see a better card come out.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Option 2 all the way.

However, as DJ says the new architecture from both camps should be out soon which will (maybe) blow the socks off the current gen, and push current gen prices down.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks for the input chaps. So with that in mind would it be worth while to do the mobo and CPU just now with a view to upgrading the GFX in the summer?

Ach I hate all this, there's always something just around the corner which results in a perpetual should I shouldn't I situation. Incidentally when's the year up for the Windows 10 upgrade?

I can't remember what my mobo is Lee or the site I got it from so I can't check the order history. It's an Asus one though I think, maybe. :?

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:15 pm

Are you getting any major issues in your current games with your current rig then? If not then swap out the CPU/Mobo and then wait on the cheaper prices for the GTX later on :)
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:10 pm

Medicine Man wrote:Thanks for the input chaps. So with that in mind would it be worth while to do the mobo and CPU just now with a view to upgrading the GFX in the summer?

Ach I hate all this, there's always something just around the corner which results in a perpetual should I shouldn't I situation. Incidentally when's the year up for the Windows 10 upgrade?

I can't remember what my mobo is Lee or the site I got it from so I can't check the order history. It's an Asus one though I think, maybe. :?

You would be better off just doing it all in the summer then you can get a bigger SSD and take advantage of any new CPU stuff.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:41 pm

What resolution are you currently playing at? 1080p? GTX 760 is still fine. Heck I'm still using a GTX 670 at 1440p with little complaint.

I'd save up a bit more until you can afford a Skylake/DDR4 upgrade. It's not really worth upgrading to a dead platform like Haswell now.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:48 am

Well after all your input and sleeping on it I may just leave a little while longer yet. The eternal upgrade conundrum. Wait or buy now? Which ever one you pick you'll end up doing the other.

Thanks for all your help though. I'll be back!

Monkey

Postby Monkey » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:25 pm

Hey Medicine Man,

I haven't read the above posts but thought i'd give my input.

My current setup is
i5 2500k OC to 4.4Ghz
p8p67-m pro
16Gbs DDR3
x2 850 Evo 250Gb Raid0
x2 760 GTX SLI

I can safely say that my Graphics are decent but are being held back by my current CPU and Mobo, which to say if you upgraded you're GPU it would be the same.

My GPU setup (and yours) would benefit from an upgrade but with nVidia and AMD releasing a new lineup arround April with rumors of them being a crap load faster/cooler/energy hungry than the 900s at the moment, I would say that an Upgrade to you're CPU and Mobo would be more beneficial.

Hope that helps.
ImageImage

Jez

Postby Jez » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:12 pm

Don't help MM out too much. He'll offer to touch you in your private parts with his feminine hands.

He will.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:12 pm

Monkey wrote:Hey Medicine Man,

I haven't read the above posts but thought i'd give my input.

My current setup is
i5 2500k OC to 4.4Ghz
p8p67-m pro
16Gbs DDR3
x2 850 Evo 250Gb Raid0
x2 760 GTX SLI

I can safely say that my Graphics are decent but are being held back by my current CPU and Mobo, which to say if you upgraded you're GPU it would be the same.

My GPU setup (and yours) would benefit from an upgrade but with nVidia and AMD releasing a new lineup arround April with rumors of them being a crap load faster/cooler/energy hungry than the 900s at the moment, I would say that an Upgrade to you're CPU and Mobo would be more beneficial.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the input fella, always appreciate many different opinions.

Don't listen to Jez, that kind of sordid chicanery couldn't be further from the truth. Plus he's just jealous that my glorious manicured man digits wont caress the repugnant hairy mound he calls his 'tenderness' ever again. :D

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:16 pm

Urghhhhhhh. Another involuntary shudder!

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:26 pm

Those are the best kind. :P

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:33 pm

Monkey wrote:I can safely say that my Graphics are decent but are being held back by my current CPU and Mobo, which to say if you upgraded you're GPU it would be the same.

Plenty of grunt on a 2500K matey.
Still not worth upgrading from a 2500K to anything for gaming (especially if you've got it overlcocked).
Friend of mine has SLI'd 770's and has no issues at all (bar the usual SLI game compatibility issues).

I'm basically waiting on Intel actually doing something useful with their CPU's.
It's all incremental hops at the moment and I'm patiently waiting on the same kind of jump we got with Sandybridge.
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Next

Return to Technology & Hardware