New Graphics card/PSU combo. Sweet spot on a budget?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Prey
Admin

Re: New Graphics card/PSU combo. Sweet spot on a budget?

Postby Prey » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:34 pm

I don't know where the cables go on my mobo as the leads are fairly different. It's an Asus M5A78L-M LX.
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:46 pm

Both 3s are all you need to hook up power wise.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:48 pm

Prey wrote:I don't know where the cables go on my mobo as the leads are fairly different. It's an Asus M5A78L-M LX.

Looking at the manual I think the only leads that connect direct from psu to the mobo are the 4-pin ATX 12v for the processor (top left of the board) and the main 24-pin EAX power supply for the actual mobo (middle right of the board). Everything else connects to the graphics card/drives etc.

EDIT - nvm, MM beat me to it :)
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks MM. Well I followed the guide as best as I could but when I went to turn it on there was zero power present. PSU is in. GPU is in. Everything looks right and is nice and tightly screwed but still, nothing. There has to be something I'm overlooking here? The cable management is fucking awful too. :lol:
Mantis wrote:I was looking for your post about the new Assassins Creed to respond to earlier on and you've already deleted it. -_-

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:48 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:21 pm

CTHULHU LIVES!!!
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:51 pm

I take it that it wasn't as simple as just leaving everything plugged in then taking the leads out of the old PSU and plugging the new one in (perhaps using any adaptors pachaged with it)?

Have you got a handy clued up bloke nearby that can help before you do something irreversible?

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:17 pm

Not only did I carefully make sure I knew which cable was what but I even took photos before I pulled them all out - AND I STILL CAN'T GET IT TO COME ON. smh.

I've never put one in before as I said but I honestly never thought I could possibly fuck it up as royally as I now have.

Lee wrote:CTHULHU LIVES!!!

:lol:

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:30 pm

Just noticed there's a green light lit up on my motherboard when I try and power up the machine?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:35 pm

Have you made sure the main power cable is properly pushed in? Sometimes it can seem like it is in, but it isn't quite.#

EDIT: Does the PSU power up? Have you made sure the power switch on the psu is on?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Okay just plug in the PSU into the mobo and 12v extra power cable that goes in above the CPU itself. See if the fans start up as it should, then slowly work your way through attaching each device.

If the cables are all seated correctly then that leaves the PSU at being fault. Try your old one again to see if that starts it up.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:12 pm

There's a cable that splits off into two at the end and has CPU written on both. On my mobo I only have one single 4 pin slot one of these can go into so the other one isn't being used at all. Could that be it?

And as I said earlier now when I turn on the PSU with its own switch I get a green light on the mobo...

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:38 pm

Lee

Postby Lee » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:45 pm

Prey I just noticed from your pics is that you don't actually have the front case power button,reset, HD led lights actually connected.

Skip to 16:32 into the video you linked to see what I mean.

Please don't tell me you forgot to plug them in before trying to turn it on :P
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:12 pm

Nah I put those in afterwards as I've taken the card out a few times now too and they were just getting in the way. They were very fiddly little buggers though. The video was very helpful in at least telling me I only need the one CPU 4 pin installed.

I'm going to sleep on it tonight and have another crack from scratch again tomorrow. Wish me luck.

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware