BIOS SATA woes

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Rusty

BIOS SATA woes

Postby Rusty » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:49 am

Right,

Last night I installed some new RAM. Same size as previously (16GB but 2 x 8GB sticks rather than 4 x 4 GB sticks so I have room to upgrade if need be).
When I turned my PC on in the bios setup screen it had red text saying 'RAM changed. Configure or continue'. I continued and the pc couldn't find my master SSD with the OS on it.

After some fiddling around in the BIOS (American Megatrends) I got it working again and booted into windows 10 but my RAIDed second drive wasn't showing.

Now I've gone back into the BIOS and now none of my drives are showing.
If I check the boot sequence I can see my drives but the all have RAID at the start of their names (e.g. [RAID:M4-CT128M]. I'm pretty sure it didn't have that before. If I enter the drive listing nothing shows at all apart from [Not Detected] for every type (IDE and SATA)

Having googled for hours I can't find anything that might suddenly make all my drives think they're RAID when only physically 2 of them are.

Any thoughts?

Rusty

Re: BIOS SATA woes

Postby Rusty » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:07 am

Well, after a few reboots it fixed itself.

However, I still can't access my 1TB RAIDed drive. I wonder if one of the drives has finally failed and taken them both out. I have been slowly moving stuff to my newer drive so nothing important has been lost.

I have a feeling that by trying to fix this drive I might bugger up the SSD again.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:22 am

Stupid question and probably something you've already tried but perhaps reverse your steps and put the 4 sticks of old ram back in? Since this is when everything seems to have gone tits-up and everything was fine before it seems a bit of a coincidence for a drive to suddenly fail just at that time.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:24 am

When swapping out the ram have you disturbed the SATA connection without noticing it? Could be loose and a simple re-plugging it back in might get it working again. Other than that I don't have a clue about RAID stuff.
Formerly MrAnnoyed

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:24 am

Some motherboards can be a bit finicky when it comes to ram, have you checked that the ram you are using is supported by the board?
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:28 am

Even so it shouldn't cause issues with the drive discovery. I'd check the sata cables are all still connected and if so try the old ram and see what happens, as already suggested. Depending on what happens it will be easier to troubleshoot further :)
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:38 am

I've ended up just unplugging the RAIDed drives and everything seems fine. I didn't use that drive anyway but still damn annoying that I feel like I've been beaten.
However I did use the time to overclock again as my previous OC settings seem to have disappeared and I was back at stock speeds.

Sigh. I remember now why I don't bother building my own PCs anymore.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:43 am

If your OC settings were removed maybe all you previous settings involving raid was changed as well?
Formerly MrAnnoyed

Return to Technology & Hardware