Buying a 980 GPU

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Jez

Re: Buying a 980 GPU

Postby Jez » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Well there's these opinions here that might be worth a look I'm not technical at all so it might make more sense to you the numbers side of thing.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-380-v ... ce-GTX-780

There's not much on net with direct comparison but all I know is that the 780gtx I have plays everything I have in my library that's current on at least high detail. For instance with Fallout 4 it plays on ultra. On witcher 3 it plays most of the list on ultra aside from a few things that are generally graphics heavy.

The only reason I'm upgrading now is that I have the money and I haven't upgraded in a while and I want a card that will handle VR in the new year potentially.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm not overly clued up on Nvidia cards for fairly obvious reasons but am I right to say it's an EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 non Ti version with 3GB vram card at 863 MHz/6008 MHz?

So basically this card...http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual ... B00CUIVTCS

Does it come boxed with everything included that came with it originally? Connectors etc?

edit: I don't think it has support for Directx 12 which the 380X does.
Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Aye that's the one there. I am not 100% on the dx12 capability though I'd say no from what I understand.

I'm not sure if I still have the box but I think I have it in the loft. I didn't need anything from it in terms of connectors so anything it came with should still be in there. You need a 6 pin and an 8 pin connectors to the PSU if I remember correctly without looking.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:22 pm

It's a very impressive card but I am a tad worried about the cards length, it looks huge. My current card only uses one single 6 pin molex to run as it's the none X version of the card so I will have to buy a new 6 and 8 pin cable or even an entirely new PSU?

Her face is tired. Leave her be ffs.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:53 pm

It is a chunky piece of card alright. I do think any decent spec card these days is going to be getting along this sort of size. I don't know what 380x size is mind. I'm probably the totally wrong person to advise you on this sort of thing but I'd question your 380x as a purchase. At 190 bucks for the 380x even the 780gtx I have seems to out perform it aside from dx12 issue in many ways. Not trying to out sell you at all but maybe even a better performing AMD card would help future proof you a bit more?

It's up to you I'm still waiting on my new card to arrive in any case and I'm certain that will have all the connectors needed which I can pass onto you. My current card has the same connector requirements and I already have all the proprietary software from downloading at nvidia etc.

As for PSU I bought a 1200 PSU several years ago purely for future proofing the 980 ti I'm buying recommends at least a 600 PSU. I'm not sure what 780gtx demands.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:29 am

It's....full of stars.

Amazing card this 980 ti. I thought witcher 3 was an incredibly gorgeous game with the old card. But this with all the bells and whistles without nary a hitch is a transformation further.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:58 am

They are really worth the money I think. Pay the premium and you really do get the performance to go with it.

Also a nice little bonus that when you first open up the box the card alone looks amazing. The MSI model is all grill and red streaks all over, it's quite an impressive looking piece of kit.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:26 am

Welcome to the club Jez mate :D
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Previous

Return to Technology & Hardware