And another new monitor...

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Monkey

Re: And another new monitor...

Postby Monkey » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:41 pm

And its everything that displays them lines is it? If so I'd say your monitor is bonked.
ImageImage

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:00 pm

As I said, it's only on bright colours, most noticeable on blue and orange. Where's Snowy? I need some consumer advice. The issue might not be technical, but the quality of the monitor is not up to snuff at all. What are my options?

I've gotten in touch with the company and, from the sound of things, I don't think these guys are going to take the idea of a return laying down. :?

Edit: Call off Snowy. They've given me an RMA so I shall get it sent off tomorrow.
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:40 am

Well, I've arranged a pick up for the monitor on Monday.
I'm over at my brother's house and I'm looking at his 27 inch monitor and it shows no weirdness at all. I can only assume there is actually something wrong with the Lenovo screen becasue it looked so damn crappy.

Ugh. Whatever. I'm out of the market for a monitor for the time being. Got more audio gear I "need" to get, so that's where the refund money is going.
End of an Era

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:13 pm

Should've bought the Dell :P

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Mojo wrote:Should've bought the Dell :P
#-o
Mojo wrote:The good thing about IPS is that it's very hard to get a bad one.

And yet I got a real howler on the first try.

Still, for a day there, I had two pretty cool monitors side by side.

End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Subway Diet wrote:Edit: Call off Snowy. They've given me an RMA so I shall get it sent off tomorrow.

Just as well, I know jack-all about them mate :D Came on here for advice then ignored it, what do I know :D
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:44 am

Subway Diet wrote:
Mojo wrote:Should've bought the Dell :P
#-o
Mojo wrote:The good thing about IPS is that it's very hard to get a bad one.

And yet I got a real howler on the first try.

I was referring more to normal IPS monitors. OLED is very new.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm seriously considering dropping a large sum of cash on a G Sync IPS ultra wide monitor at the moment.

But the question on my mind is this; what's the deal with curved screens? Why make them like that? Has anyone on here (Snowy, looking at you) actually used one and can say what benefits it has over a standard flat screen? I'd go the whole hog and get a curved one too but I'm just not convinced that it really makes much of a difference.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:27 pm

Could be very wrong in saying it but I'd think that the curved screen would increase the sense of immersion due the "wrapping around" effect drawing the eyes naturally around the screen.

Could be bullshit though as well :)

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:17 am

Nah, think its bullshit, if anything it slightly distorts the image, its of no benefit. Mantis, don't drop a large amount of money on a monitor now, you'll be kicking yourself in a year or so when OLEDs are cheaper. No LCD can compare to them, I've got an LG OLED TV and blows anything else out of the water with the image contrast, everything else looks washed out.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:27 am

Think they'll ever do slightly less intense resolutions for OLED monitors? As I've mentioned before, movies and games are the two most resolution focused activities I do with my PC, and with blu ray and my mid-tier graphics card, 1080 is the max they should be pushing.

Unless these new monitors have amazing scaling abilities, the non 16:9 and 4k OLED screens that are currently being pushed aren't that viable.

Yeah. I'm just being stubborn and not moving on to the next big thing, even if it means holding on to the now embarrassingly chunky HD standards.
End of an Era

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:13 pm

Hopefully when the cheaper ones come out they'll do common Res's, they're just aiming at the high res's because of the starting price at the moment.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Let's take another swing at this.

My current monitor is continuing it's weird lines of coloured pixels on screen. Every morning it starts up with either a single green line, or a green and red one. It's done that for a while, but they're hanging about longer than before. Figure if there's ever a sign to get a new monitor, that would be it.

Right. Round two!

Dell S2415H

Bog standard IPS deal. 1080 vertical, 60hz refresh rate. Figured the dell I've been using for years has done me well, and it's a minimal bezeller. I'm a bit concerned with it having a glossy display, but heard it's bright enough and got a good anti glare coat that it's not an issue when in use. We'll see how much of a howler it is when watching/playing something dark during the day. :-k

Something like this will do me fine until the really cool tech comes down in price.

Will report back if it's weird like the Lenovo one I had. :P
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:24 pm

Oh for fucks sake.

So I've got the monitor. I'm not going to be able to set it up for proper use until the end of next week, as I'm keeping it at my new place at the moment. Saves getting it all scuffed up and stuff in transport while moving.

The FFS moment came when I gave it a small test run, just to make sure it worked and wasn't dead pixel nightmare. It's not as bad as the Lenovo screen, but I think I'm seeing those bars again. I swear. Either my eyes are wrong or IPS screens are actually hot garbage. ](*,)

Can't decide if I should get shot of it now, or wait until I can set it up for actual usage and see how it performs then. Well, I've got 14 days to fret over it.
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:37 pm

Mantis wrote:I'm seriously considering dropping a large sum of cash on a G Sync IPS ultra wide monitor at the moment.

But the question on my mind is this; what's the deal with curved screens? Why make them like that? Has anyone on here (Snowy, looking at you) actually used one and can say what benefits it has over a standard flat screen? I'd go the whole hog and get a curved one too but I'm just not convinced that it really makes much of a difference.

So the marketing fanny that goes with the screens reckons that the monitors "have evolved to feature stunning curved screens that match the natural curvature of the human eye, providing a more uniform and comfortable viewing experience" and that "Experts have found that people perceive curves as more visually comforting than hard lines and angles. Simply viewing the curves of an object triggers relief in the brain".

I never bought this - a mate has a curved TV and it dust doesn't work - it looks weird unless you are sat right in the sweet spot. For a monitor though, it works, as you are always sat in the sweet spot.

I mean, the screen is fucking huge, so it is really hard to say that the curve adds to the immersion and not just the mahoosive damned image floating in front of you, but I have to say games running in 3440 x 1440 look awesome.

Honestly, I bought the curved screen because I read some great reviews on it and loved the design. I am happy with it - will better kit come along, well of course it will, but if you play the "but just wait until X" game, by the time X comes along there is something else on the horizon to suggest you hold off on your purchase.

Complete honesty, the super-wide screen is the single greatest upgrade I have ever made - but you do have to have the PC behind it to power all them luvly pixels.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware