And another new monitor...

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Subway Diet

Re: And another new monitor...

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Sod it.
I can't use this monitor now that I can see those damn lines again. Refund! Amazon picking it up tomorrow.

Seriously. Is it a thing with IPS monitors? Should I bother trying to buy another one, or just go with a TN, even if the colours and viewing angles are a bit pish? Or should I just save all the way up and get some giant fancy sucker like Snowy has? :P
Last edited by Subway Diet on Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:21 pm

I love mine, and it was all perfect out of the box, with just some tweaks to the colour settings using the inbuilt Windows config tool.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:51 pm

Snowy wrote:I love mine, and it was all perfect out of the box, with just some tweaks to the colour settings using the inbuilt Windows config tool.
Does your big swank monitor use an IPS panel?

Did some research into it and there are some few people out there describing the problems I'm having. It's got to be something. Maybe as crazy as the prescription of my glasses somehow catching the light of the pixels just wrong. Who knows.

What I do know is that it looks like I can't handle IPS monitors. It's friggin' weird. Looks like I'll be stuck with old naff TN style until OLED comes down in price.
End of an Era

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:38 pm

What size was the old and is the new monitors compared with their res's?
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:33 am

Quietman wrote:What size was the old and is the new monitors compared with their res's?

I'm in the market for 1920 x 1080 monitors, so everything I'm mentioning is in that resolution.

Current monitor is a 21.5 inch TN deal from Dell. S2209Wb

The last two monitors I've tried are IPS panels:

ThinkVision X24 (23.5 inch)
Dell S2415H (23.5 inch)

Both of those had the weird lines that show up. Usually most noticeable on oranges and blues.

Here's the old example of how it looks to me:

Every other screen:
On the last two monitors I've bought (and promptly returned):

The thing is, my brother has both 23.5 and 27 inch monitors and the colours on those look solid to me. The twist being is that they're also TN screens.

So that leads me to believe that it's possibly the tech that's causing the issue. Well, it's my damn eyes that must be the issue if I'm seeing weird shit that nobody else can, but the tech must be exacerbating it. Though I'm not really in the mood to buy another monitor just to confirm it.

Hah! And I'm talking about panel technologies like I know what the hell I'm even saying. :lol:
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:30 am

Could it be your graphics card is on the way out? Seems odd to me that you'd have the exact same problem on multiple monitors if it wasn't the GPU.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:59 am

I thought the same as Dave, but figured you were going back to an old monitor where the issue wasn't present so didn't say anything.

My Samsung beast is a VA panel by the way.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:13 am

Mantis wrote:Could it be your graphics card is on the way out? Seems odd to me that you'd have the exact same problem on multiple monitors if it wasn't the GPU.
I've had no problems going back to my old, beat up Dell that I've had for years.

Further twist: The second IPS monitor I tried was tested with my Surface Pro. And it should go without saying that the tablet hasn't shown any weird artifacts when plugged into other screens either. Just gave it a second test and, yeah, even on this 27 inch monitor, it didn't show any weirdness
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Monitor attempt Number 3!

Went out to the huge PC World in Glasgow after picking up some Ikea toot for my new place. Figured actually seeing the screens in person would be a better idea. Ended up with a "gaming monitor".

AOC G2460PF

Looked plenty good in the store. It's still a 1920x1080 screen, but it's TN, runs at 144Hz and has FreeSync. The latter two things I hope aren't going to be an issue. Yet to get it set up, so there's still a chance I'll come in here ranting and roaring when it turns out that 144Hz makes blu ray movies look like slide shows or some such shit. Other downside being that they don't make stylish monitors in that kind of spec, so I've ended up with a thick-ass bezel and a nice, red accent. :P

Also made sure to have a look at their IPS monitors. It really does seem that 1080 on a screen over a certain size makes them look distractingly weird to me. They had a 27 IPS that was double the resolution and that looked great. So yeah, my eyes are sensitive to weird pixel things, for some bizarre reason.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Do you still have the monitors causing the issue? Could have taken a picture of the screen to demonstrate exactly what these glitches look like.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:20 pm

I've tried doing that with the first monitor that I had trouble with, the Lenovo one. There was no way to accurately capture what it looked like. Not with the camera I had on hand. As I've speculated before, it's either my eyes or glasses or something that doesn't seem to appear to other people.

Also, writing this on the new monitor. Not sure if it's this cheap Mini Display port to HDMi cable, or just the monitor itself, but this screen is fuckin' bright and washed out. Might need to play with the settings a bit. Then again, TN panel. I'm probably looking at it from a funny angle as well.

At least the colours look solid, if washed out.
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Not had a chance to play about with it yet, though I've gotten a bunch of calibration settings on hand. Here's hoping it'll look less intense once I've got it set up.

It bloody well better, as I forgot that I'm not protected from matters of personal taste when buying from a store in person. :lol:

Also, with it's "cool" red stripe, I'm tempted to swap my rotation of OS X backgrounds with something more... Gamer. AirMech concept art! :D Whooo!

Will report back tomorrow, when I'm actually using the new monitor.
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Alright.
Got the monitor calibrated and it actuality looks good now. Haha. Was a real vertigo inducing moment when I switched thing up to 144hz.
The mouse was so much... smoother. Smoother than any mouse I've seen before. :shock:

Now to figure out what, if anything, the deal with Freesync is. I hope it's optional, as I hear it does weird thing to games if they go below a certain frame rate.
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon May 09, 2016 8:53 am

Glad you finally got yourself sorted anyway :)

Previous

Return to Technology & Hardware