Laptop stuck in infinite loop

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Prey
Admin

Laptop stuck in infinite loop

Postby Prey » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:25 pm

So I have this Acer laptop and for the past week it has suddenly decided to not boot up beyond the post screen into Windows. I can't even enter the bios as it just instantly resets itself and fails to recognise any commands I try. It did have Windows 10 on it but hadn't expired or anything. I know I can reset the machines CMOS battery but it's in a very awkward place to get at.

Any ideas?

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Re: Laptop stuck in infinite loop

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:37 pm

I know on a desktop mobo you can reset the bios by shorting the two cmos jumper pins, anything like that on your laptop mate?
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:32 pm

My exact same issue shown in the following video bud

The problem is the CMOS battery is hidden well away behind the battery and another plate and I'm unsure if I can even get to it if I tried.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:24 am

Saw this on a forum to do with a HP laptop, not sure if it would work on your Acer -
1) Turn off the laptop

2) Remove Battery and disconnected power cord.

3) Wait for about 5 - 10 minutes

4) Plug the power cord back in, DO NOT reinsert the battery, yet...

5) Holding down the Insert/Scroll button, hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. Release the power button still holding the Insert/Scroll button.

If windows comes up normally, restart the computer and go into the bios to setup the time and what not, this SHOULD hopefully clear out the CMOS and fix your problem.
Terry Pratchett wrote:Humans would do anything to see if it was possible. If you put a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:10 am

No joy sadly mate. I've scoured the internet myself and still can't find something that fixes it.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:52 am

It seems like the only way to reset the CMOS is to remove the battery. You might just have to bite the bullet and take the laptop apart. The thing Dragon posted only works if their is not also a dedicated CMOS battery.

The other option might be to remove the laptop hardrive, stick it in your PC and then wipe it clean as it could be the Windows install that is messing it up. Then when you put it back into the PC you might be able to boot from a Windows CD.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Return to Technology & Hardware