Eyes On a PC Build

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Subway Diet

Re: Eyes On a PC Build

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:18 am

Oh, so yeah. The parts arrieved last weekend and I was over at my brother's house on Wednesday getting it sorted. Third PC I've built and I'm getting to be pretty confident in it. There was a bit where I was nearly shitty myself becuase the system wasn't powering up. Was getting pretty into the troubleshooting when I realised I was using the wrong set of pins. Trying to use some USB or audio connectors to power the system on with.

Also bit of an upset when it turns out the copy of Win7 he had on hand was 32bit. Got it sorted in the end, but was a bit more frustrating. I had to leave before the OS was installed, so I'm kind of anxious knowing that drivers and all that hadn't been installed. Had to talk him through it over the phone.

So, good times, apart from the stumble at the final hurdle.

-

Now all this PC stuff has got me hungry for upgrading my system.

I'm wondering how best to approach this. Do I upgrade select parts, or go all in on a new MB/CPU/RAM/GPU combo? The core stuff in here is kind of old, but still works pretty well.

Here's how things look currently:

i5 3570k @ 3.40ghz (Ivy Bridge)
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
8gb 1600mhz ram (Found out last night that my motherboard is running it at 1333mhz)
GTX 670

All the other components are fine, it's just the core guts that I'm thinking about. :-k
This time around, I am considering paying the premium for the Skylake with DDR4 combo. You can blame DigitalFoundry for stating that faster memory does indeed make Fallout 4 run statistically better. :P
End of an Era

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:03 pm

Skylake isn't that much of a performance increase over a 3570k really. If you had decent cooling you can easily get the CPU up to near 4Ghz - I can't remember exactly what I'm up to but it's around there. At the moment the only reason to really go Skylake is for the feature set on the motherboards. You're better off just grabbing a new GPU and sitting tight until Heavenlake or whatever the second iteration will be. Unless you want to make the jump to an i7, which I'm only considering now I've started editing video and getting jittery scrubbing at 3440x1440.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Well, ok then. I'll get a GTX 970. Wait, how old are these cards? It's the ultimate fear of PC upgrading. You can just feel it in your bones that the next best thing is always just about to show up.

I'm still concerned about this motherboard and it's funny handling of the ram, though.
Figured buying into Skylake means I'd have the right kind of socket, or whatever, to upgrade again a couple of CPU generations in. :-k
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:56 pm

If you get a GTX 980 you'll be more than set with that rig for the next few years.

Can't you go into the mobo BIOs and change the memory settings to run at the proper clock speed? It's highly unlikely that the motherboard doesn't support 1666mhz speeds, you've probably just got to make a small profile change.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:10 pm

Mantis wrote:If you get a GTX 980 you'll be more than set with that rig for the next few years.

Can't you go into the mobo BIOs and change the memory settings to run at the proper clock speed? It's highly unlikely that the motherboard doesn't support 1666mhz speeds, you've probably just got to make a small profile change.
I'll take a look at the motherboard, see what can be done to get it up to speed without breaking the whole thing.

Also, these prices, man! Is the GTX 980 really 150 quid better than a GTX 970? :shock:
End of an Era

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:29 pm

GTX 970 is the best value for money performance wise right now.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:57 pm

I'll stick to the 970 then? Any objections? :P

Also, somewhat strange is that I looked up the type of RAM I've got. It's actually 1866MHz, which makes the motherboard silly bugger antics even more annoying. Going to crack out the manual now. That's how serious things have gotten.

Edit: Right, that's it sussed out. And to think, I'd been short changed on 500MHz for all these years.
End of an Era

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Get a 980ti, money be damned.
Listen to me. Traitor.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:54 pm

BoggyB wrote:Get a 980ti, money be damned.
I should have. It'd have been a right laugh.
But, no, went with the reasonable, yet still expensive 970 in the end. I'll be interested to see how long it can stay relevant. :-k

Hum. You know what? When these super-duper new cards that Nvidia are working on come out, maybe then I will just say f-it and spend the stupid money. Get new memory and CPU. The whole shebang.
End of an Era

BoggyB

Postby BoggyB » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:08 pm

That's the way. You'll have all the 120 fps virtual reality Second Life you can handle.
Listen to me. Traitor.

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:20 pm

Subway Diet wrote:Also bit of an upset when it turns out the copy of Win7 he had on hand was 32bit. Got it sorted in the end, but was a bit more frustrating. I had to leave before the OS was installed, so I'm kind of anxious knowing that drivers and all that hadn't been installed. Had to talk him through it over the phone.

With 32-Bit 7 is he restricted to 32-Bit Windows 10 just like Vista to 7, or can he DL an umbrella version of 10 and pick 64-Bit after it's activated during the free year? I'd better get reading around Skylake to make sure I'm up to date whenever I want to upgrade but I'm hoping DDR4 will just force a price drop to DDR3 rather than taking over right away.
Youtube Channel Currently Offline https://www.youtube.com/ channel/ UCImKjJptbRwGw0nHMykzeqg
Blog: http://kensmoviereview.wordpress.com

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 am

With 32-Bit 7 is he restricted to 32-Bit Windows 10 just like Vista to 7, or can he DL an umbrella version of 10 and pick 64-Bit after it's activated during the free year?[/quote]I'm really not sure how it works. He intends to stick with Windows 7 for as long as possible. I wiped the install and let him my 64bit Win7 disk. He's planning to buy a Home Premium key online.
Seems like an alright solution but I only hope those aren't super shady and Microsoft throws a fit. :P

Have been looking at memory prices and it seems they're comparable. 16gb of either DDR3 or DDR4 seems to go for about 60 quid-ish. Maybe if you start amping up the speeds the prices will come away from each other, but it looks like DDR3 is retaining it's value for now.
End of an Era

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 am

Also!

Fuuuuuuck it!
The money I got for selling my Mac Mini is more than enough to get a whole new MB / CPU / RAM combo. Might as well buy this future high end shit! Watch as I go 15 fps higher in GTAV! Woo!
I mean, what else am I going to do with half a grand and an angry desire for 1080/60?

Even if I'm going all the way overboard on power I don't need, knowing that Boggy is getting some kind of twisted pleasure from my reckless spending is reason enough!
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:42 pm

Seriously, if you've got cash to burn I'd have just gone for a 980. It'll keep you at 1080p/60 for longer. A 970 should just about be able to manage most existing games at 1080/60 apart from stuff like Witcher 3 etc.

I did a Boggy and bought a 980 Ti a few months ago and haven't regretted it at all.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Yeah same, it's a cracking card. Much more worth your cash than a pointless CPU upgrade that will do NOTHING.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Hardware